Lagging when I type? [BUG LOGGED]

La
Laxaria
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:13 am Post

Hardware:

Asus 1000HE; 1.66Ghz Atom, 1 GB RAM

The program seems to, well, slow down and come to a halt after leaving it for a while.

How it looks like on my screen is that it is now a split pane. Things I did before I noticed the lag:

1. Made new Research folders
2. Copy-pasted some text from OO.org
3. Tried typing. Super lag.

Gonna try to find the problem.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:16 am Post

If anyone can find a 100% reproducible case of this, you will be a hero. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

La
Laxaria

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 am Post

Hey: Is anyone suffering slowdown once they paste in any form of long extracts of ext?

Edit: Nope, don't think that's the problem.

Ma
MacIomhair
Platform: Windows

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 am Post

I'm having severe problems with lagging as well.

Sometimes when I type, everything is fine. Sometimes, it types one letter, goes blank, refuses to let me click anywhere and stores up to about 1 sentence in memory which is then displayed some time later (1-2 minutes), with anything typed beyond that lost in the ether.

I am using a very stripped down system with only Chrome running in the background.

It's a shame because otherwise, this is everything I had been hoping, but the lag makes it unusable.

[Edit] Although not an ideal fix, the lag seems to go away when I restart the software (no need to restart the machine).

LAP

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:38 am Post

That's all fantastic feedback. I never have a lag problem as I type too slow so I never picked this up previously. So, thank you.

I will log this as a bug and see what we can do to optimise performance.

Ed
Eddy
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:56 am Post

I have not been able to reproduce quite the symptoms described, but in case it helps, I've done the following: I've tested running it in a virtual machine inside VMWare Fusion on a Mac. The virtual machine has the following settings:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 (Genuine licensed copy)
Ram: 1Gb
2.26Ghz CPU (Intel Xeon)
60Gb HD, about 30Gb free
1920 x 1600 resolution,

I copied over a large (50Mb+) project from Scriv on the Mac, and opened it in the beta. It all came up looking perfect - even the webpage imports (including graphics and everything), except for some square 'unprintable' characters in the synopses at line ends. Trying the 'fast typing' test, if I start a new document I can type at any speed with no apparent problems until I get bored.

If I open an existing text, and start typing in the middle somewhere then I do notice some laggy input, getting little bursts of output in response to a steady stream of input. I used cut 'n paste to increase the text to just over 50,000 words and I do notice that the problem is worse the bigger the text gets.

I also noticed on the host OS that when the lag is occurring, my menumeters show a significant spike in CPU activity across multiple cores. This settles down a couple of seconds after I stop typing and the lag catches up. Typing slowly doesn't cause any appreciable activity on the meters.

Creating a new empty text file and typing into that also causes little or no activity on the CPU meters even if I type gibberish very fast.

Eddy
"Writerʼs block is just a symptom of feeling like you have nothing to say, combined with the rather weird idea that you SHOULD feel the need to say something." - Hugh MacLeod

no
no_ordinary

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:56 pm Post

I also experience a lag, which if I look at the Task Manager while typing is tied to each keystroke making my CPU use = 100%, and thereby freezing everything. I am on a Vaio VGN-FS31B (512MB, Windows XP Japanese version), which is an older computer but generally capable of word processing.

Ps
Psychomacologist2.0

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 pm Post

I can corroborate this: with the set-up I used to test before (docs within folders within folders), when I type in the documents the CPU spikes to about 60% , and this is associated with the lag. Once the text appears, the CPU drops down to 10-12%

So whatever is causing the lag is putting a load on the processor and causing a spike. This is why it's freezing up.

Specs:
Windows XP, SP3
Intel atom processor, dell mini inspiron 1012 netbook, 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM
(netbook is about six months old, so pretty new)
My typing speed is about 70wpm, so I'm making several keystrokes a second when I type.
~I aim to misbehave~
"People should not be afraid of their Governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

va
vanessago

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:25 pm Post

My lagging problem appears to be fixed by the newly uploaded Scrivener.exe. Speed of typing is just fine now!

Thanks
Vanessa

La
LaughSing

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:07 am Post

My lagging problem has not been resolved by the updated scrivener.exe.

I type close to 80 wpm (even on this tiny keyboard, LOL), and I do need it to keep up. At this point, I've saved the NaNoWriMo template to a new .scriv and have that open, and I'm just entering synopses into scenes, and it's freezing up as I type onto the index cards, or into character sheets. It doesn't store everything I type, so I have to pay attention to what goes on the screen. I've got both spellcheck options turned off (spellcheckers irritate me anyway, so that's not a problem for me :wink: ), so that's not the fix for me, either.

I'm running on a Samsung N130, Windows 7 starter,Intel(R) Atom CPU N270 1.60 GHz, 1GB RAM, 32 bit. I'm plugged in, so it's not a power conservation issue. Not much else going on, I don't expect a netbook to multitask much; I've got one session of Google Chrome, Kaspersky, and Eye-Fi manager also running.
Samsung N130 netbook, Windows 7 starter,Intel(R) Atom CPU N270 1.60 GHz, 1GB RAM, 32 bit

ka
katiewalker1995

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:44 am Post

I've found that I only encounter this problem after opening and editing other documents. It's a good reason to only write during November though :). It'll keep me on track, because I'll probably be too lazy to restart it, so I'll just remember not to do anything else till I've reached my limit.

There's always a silver lining.

tg
tgif0

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:56 am Post

Firstly, let me heap a pile of praise on all the creators of this programme. I love it, and its potential.
Anything I write here is simply to assist in creating an even better product. And thanks for all your hard work and your passion.

I have a huge lagging problem when I type in Scrivener. On new pages, on pages into which I have imported text from other programmes (converted through to rtf) or in any other way.

I am a fast typist, a very fast touch typist in fact.

I am not sure how to reproduce the problem, in the sense that it happens whenever, whereever I try and type anything original into the programme.

As soon as I start typing, the little asterix next to the word Scrivener at the top left of the screen lights up, one or two of the letters I have typed appear on the screen behind the cursor and then that is it. Everything freezes. And the CPU will start spiking (it usually moves up to around 50% quite quickly, then hangs there for an age).

If I am lucky, and I haven't tried to type too much, Scrivener might just let me back in about one or two minutes later, with most of the letters I had typed on the screen and saved. Often times though, I have to crash out, because I have been caught up in the thought and forgotten that there will be problems if I type too much.

Usually though, Scrivener will restart without problems and the text I did type will be there. This is not though the best approach to writing on a regular basis. :!: :)

I have turned off the spell check and anything else in the options that could cause the programme to hang. I am running Vista SP2, Dell 2g ram. The machine is 3+years old now, but in fair nick, and is updated daily as necessary.

If there is more information that might help, please ask.

And once again, a huge thank you.
Mac (Lion 10.7.2), Scrivener from app store and PC (Windows Vista 32 SP2) - Scrivener as download.

tg
tgif0

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:12 pm Post

As an addendum, I thought it might help to add, I am able to type at my normal speed in the index card and project notes. It is just inside a 'document' and in 'document notes' that the above problems occur.

(btw, the workaround is to type in to notepad and then copy and paste the text into the document.) Efficient? No. But my main goal is to be able to use the program for organising the structure of a pretty complicated piece of work, so as long as I can move the pieces around in this beta stage, I am more than thrilled.)

Again, thank you.
Mac (Lion 10.7.2), Scrivener from app store and PC (Windows Vista 32 SP2) - Scrivener as download.