Format Toolbar Won't Populate on Menu Bar

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:32 pm Post

The format toolbar won't populate on the menu bar. The main toolbar does. Before the upgrade, I was able to display the format bar. Now, I have to access the text menu for each formatting task. I use the windows version and run it on windows 10. When clicking the view option, only the main toolbar option is available. I'm using an HP 15 TS Notebook PC. Thank you.
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

TromboneAl
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:34 am Post

The option for the Formatting Toolbar should be on the View menu. It's not. It's on the Format menu. Surprise!
Al Macy
I usually have the latest Scrivener and Scapple versions.
Let me copy/paste the version from the About box, and I will add it to my signature.

Montree_Whiles

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm Post

Well, whaddya know? Thanks. :roll:

TromboneAl wrote:The option for the Formatting Toolbar should be on the View menu. It's not. It's on the Format menu. Surprise!
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

TromboneAl
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:58 pm Post

My estimate is that 70% of Scrivener's reputation for being hard to learn/use is caused by the simple fact that many menu options are not where they belong. The design is neither intuitive nor standard.
Al Macy
I usually have the latest Scrivener and Scapple versions.
Let me copy/paste the version from the About box, and I will add it to my signature.

Montree_Whiles

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:51 pm Post

TromboneAl wrote:My estimate is that 70% of Scrivener's reputation for being hard to learn/use is caused by the simple fact that many menu options are not where they belong. The design is neither intuitive nor standard.

What's intuitive for me is informed by other apps and programs that I use. So, it's not reasonable to expect all software to work the same. I'm becoming better at using the guide. It seems more user friendly somehow.
—Robert A. Heinlein

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:22 am Post

TromboneAl wrote:My estimate is that 70% of Scrivener's reputation for being hard to learn/use is caused by the simple fact that many menu options are not where they belong. The design is neither intuitive nor standard.

Scrivener is a Mac-first program, and the design makes a lot more sense for Mac users. As a result, the Windows version follows that design so that folks who use it on both don't get messed up using the same program.

So I guess you can say Scrivener's design is both intuitive AND standard for those who use a Mac. :)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Montree_Whiles

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:03 pm Post

devinganger wrote:

Scrivener is a Mac-first program, and the design makes a lot more sense for Mac users. As a result, the Windows version follows that design so that folks who use it on both don't get messed up using the same program.

So I guess you can say Scrivener's design is both intuitive AND standard for those who use a Mac. :)

Last Fall, I had to become acquainted with iOS. Yup, you're right!
—Robert A. Heinlein