Crashing all the time

cs
csinclair
Platform: Windows

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 pm Post

I'm using Window Scrivener. I'd put up the version number, but when I hit help, it crashed. Again. But it's the latest version and I just downloaded and reinstalled to see if that was the problem. Nope.

It's running on Windows XP SvcPk 3, and a couple of months ago, it was running just fine.

I'm on a deadline and needless to say, this isn't helping. I totally wish my information wasn't in Scrivener. Obviously I've got some bad data somewhere, but I don't know where to start to fix it.

ar
artfulJohn

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:58 am Post

I am having the same problem on my PC also running Windows XP Service Pack 3. Luckily I can work on the same projects on my laptop running Windows 7 which tends to suggest it's a XP thing. Surprisingly no one else seems to be reporting it. Jeffrey from L&L has been looking into it yet so far hasn't cracked the problem.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm Post

Are either of you running BitDefender (2011)? It seems to having some software conflict issues, so I'd try restarting Windows with that disabled and see if you're able to work in Scrivener without the crashing to confirm. (You may need to temporarily rename its installation directory after turning it off to prevent accessing the .dlls, e.g. rename `C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\` to `C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011 DISABLED\`. Be sure to note the original file path so you can change it back after testing.)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ar
artfulJohn

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:49 am Post

I am not running Bit Defender nor any anti-virus just at the moment. I had thought it could be my Carbonite backup service and so tried running with that disabled: no difference. Likewise a PC tool/system tweaker by Uniblue which left to its own devices runs in the background. I do tend to suspect it maybe some background program.

Neither of the above mentioned had been causing problems with the previous versions, including the Windows beta versions, of Scrivener that I had been running on this PC up until I was forced into reformatting my drive some weeks ago.