Scrivener for Windows now available for *pre-order*

vi
vientorose

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:59 am Post

I've got both my original code from last Nano, and the replacement one that was posted, and neither one is working... :(

sn
snarkysweetness
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:35 am Post

vientorose wrote:I've got both my original code from last Nano, and the replacement one that was posted, and neither one is working... :(

Same here and I checked a few times before NaNo began and there was nothing and all of the winner's goodies are gone from last year :(

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 am Post

The code that was stated to expire Sept 7th is the "good" one; it was extended again to last to the end of the year, although that was never written up on the NaNo website. Are you using this on the standard Windows version? It won't work for the educational license.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:55 am Post

Yes, those 50% codes should definitely work - we extended them so they will work until the end of the year. We had lots of users successfully use their NaNo '10 coupons yesterday, too. As MM says, make sure you choose the regular licence, because the coupons aren't valid for the educational licence.

Thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered so far!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Sciley

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 am Post

Thanks all :D

I will risik not getting the 10% off with a pre-order, keeping fingers crossed (and fingers in keyboard) that I win NaNo.
Windows 7, 64 bit-System

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:18 pm Post

I can confirm that the new NaNo 2010 code works.

Question on the license. I use multiple computers for writing (Home, Work, linux netbook). Will I be able to install it on multiple computers, if need be? I could do without the work computer, but it would be nice to make notes as I think of them.

olorinpc

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:27 pm Post

Rithe wrote:I can confirm that the new NaNo 2010 code works.

Question on the license. I use multiple computers for writing (Home, Work, linux netbook). Will I be able to install it on multiple computers, if need be? I could do without the work computer, but it would be nice to make notes as I think of them.

If I recall correctly the license says something about up to 5. Typically that covers just about everyone to have it installed at home/work. Not sure if the license carries over to linux or not though... someone from L&L will have to answer that part of the question. A Mac license won't work for Windows and a Windows License won't work for Mac, but I suspect the Windows/Linux one might be the same.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:34 pm Post

What some users have been able to do is put Scrivener on a thumb drive and use it from there. I haven't tried it but theoretically you should be able to install wine on the linux box, use Scrivener there then use the same Scrivener on your other computer. Wine doesn't care where a program is run, so long as the WINEPREFIX is correct. (Only really an issue if you have different ones.)

Your mileage may vary. Consult manual for details. Offer not valid in all 50 states. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. If Happy Fun Ball starts to smoke, run away. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Backups are your friends. Backups have always been your friends.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:40 pm Post

Rithe wrote:Question on the license. I use multiple computers for writing (Home, Work, linux netbook). Will I be able to install it on multiple computers, if need be? I could do without the work computer, but it would be nice to make notes as I think of them.

To quote the license agreement:
This licence agreement enables you and your family members to use the Software on your own respective computers within your household but you may not copy or transfer the Software to any other computer or hard drive. Any members of your family not residing at your address for eight months of any year or more are not family members for the purposes of this licence agreement must purchase a separate Software licence.

Additionally, you may make one copy of the Software for back-up purposes, maintaining always the same copyright information as the original, and you may also install one copy of the Software outside of the household provided it is for personal use by you or a family member and reasonable steps are taken to ensure that no one else can use the Software.

So that should probably cover you. The Linux version does not have a license yet, as it's still an officially unsupported beta, so you won't need to register that for now. Once it becomes its own entity and has proper Linux-specific development, it will be its own platform and will need a Linux license (in all probability--this is a hazy day in the future right now), but for now you don't need to worry about this.

You will want to just install directly on your multiple machines, however, rather than trying to run from a USB stick. Although I know users have done it, once the registration kicks in, this is going to be much more of a hassle since every time you plug in the computer will look unregistered. Additionally, since user settings and a host of preferences are saved locally on the machine, none of that will easily transfer when you move place to place. Working from an external is going to be slower and you may find other issues crop up--it's not a recommended or supported method of working, so i can't promise you things will go smoothly. Since you own all the machines in question (with the exception of the work computer, which is allowed by the license if you're the only person using it and you make reasonable effort to ensure you're the only person using the installed copy of Scrivener), there's no reason not to just install on each.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 pm Post

That's what I get for skipping parts of the Agreement :)

Thanks MM.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:41 pm Post

Tsk tsk! ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

jd
jdery

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:31 am Post

I finished NaNo last year, but I don't know where to find the 50% off code. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

vi
vientorose

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:35 am Post

I'm not sure what its problem was yesterday - entered the same code on the same version (regular, not education, because I read that part of the thread before I tried it) - and today it likes it and is all happy and I'm all happy.

And yes, that IS as coherent as I'm going to get today. Been a long day.

Many thanks.

Me
MetalWings

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:41 pm Post

I am so pre-ordering now! A great many, many thankyous! :D I've been using this thing non-stop (and submitting bugs when I find them, but I haven't run into any for a good while...) since last NaNo and it - and you guys - are absolutely the best!
Here since 2010! It's been a while!

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:You will want to just install directly on your multiple machines, however, rather than trying to run from a USB stick.

I wouldn't want to try it, but any port in a storm, especially when it means using Office 2010. ;)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE