Scrivener for Windows now available for *pre-order*

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:39 pm Post

Hi all,

Scrivener for Windows is now available for pre-order, with a 10% discount. We are pushing the official 1.0 release back until next week, 7th November, and the discount will run until then. (If you have any other coupon codes, they will work on top of the 10% discount, too.)

The Windows pre-orders page is now up and running here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scriv ... atform=win

I know, today was supposed to be the release date, but at the very last minute we just felt we had to take a few extra days to fix some of the issues raised in the latest beta - please see my blog post for more information here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=226

Thanks everyone for your support, and our sincere apologies for the extra few days' delay; hopefully the preorder will go some way to making up for that, and that you will all think it is worth it. (And remember, if you are worried about the current 7th November beta expiry date, we have a NaNoWriMo trial version that runs up until 7th December available here: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.php )

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Sciley
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:00 pm Post

Dear Keith,

I have a few questions :-):

1. Will there be a student version of Scrivener for Windows?

2. If so, how can you get it? I´m a student, but in Germany.

3. And if I win NaNo, will I get the 50% of the regual version only, or of the student version, too?

Sarah

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:06 pm Post

Hi Sarah,

Yes, there's a student version for Windows - that will normally cost $35 instead of $40 (although right now it's $31.50 for the next week, for pre-orders). The NaNo 50% coupon only works on the regular version, though, not the student version (the regular and student versions are identical).

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

olorinpc

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:50 pm Post

Hi Sciley,

On the store links you will see all 4 versions. Mac regular and Educational and now the Windows regular and Educational. (ie - Student Versions.)

I have a link to it on the right side of my site, though to be fair I will mention this is an affiliate link which is why I am not linking in the main part of this reply and only have a general site link in my signature.

Looks like Keith already mentioned the 50% off NaNo coupon will only work on the regular version. I would also venture to add it sounded like you were saying "if" I win nano, meaning you are hoping to get one this year. That means you won't be able to take 50% off of the pre-order price, unless you have a coupon from NaNo 2010. The most cost effective option for you would be to use the NaNo trial and wait to purchase after November. You risk only not getting the pre-order discount if you don't get the larger discount. Though if you do have a NaNo2010 discount code, you get to combine as mentioned above.

Hope that helps and makes sense.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

Ne
Nemesis
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:38 pm Post

KB wrote:(If you have any other coupon codes, they will work on top of the 10% discount, too.)

Hmmm, the 20% code ("NANOWRIMO") from the NaNoWriMo page does not work... :cry:

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 pm Post

The "NANOWRIMO" coupon wasn't set to start working until 1st November - as it's for NaNoWriMo participants, normally no one uses it until they realise they aren't going to make their 50,000 words and thus achieve the 50% discount, so it's rather defeatist to use it before November even begins. :) It should work now though, as I've just edited it to work from today onwards.

olorinpc

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 pm Post

Well we could look at it as Scrivener is such an excellent product that people can't wait to pay for it, so would rather use a 20% discount now instead of a 50% discount later ;)
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:12 pm Post

:)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Lu
Lunarclipper

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:23 am Post

WAY COOOOOOL!!!! don't worry about the couple of extra days wait, it's worth it to us :D (Scrivener blows anything else out of the water)

ra
raulpereira

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 am Post

Paying is always a painful act in my actual circumstances, but I gladly did it in this case though. Except for the 0.23 massive "close without saving" bug that made lost an all day marathon at a library, it all went like a breeze. :D
This piece of code almost made me switch to a Mac. I'm glad I didn't or I would miss my gorgeous Steam account and I would have to work a lot more!
Looking forward to the future now. Unless, of course, the Euro really is about to fail and drag all humanity into some kind of cyber-neolithic-moneycracy.
Last edited by raulpereira on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:24 am Post

I'm glad I didn't or I would miss my gorgeous Steam account and I would have to work a lot more!

Lot of Steam games are also playable on a Mac thanks to Steam-powered. Some people have had success with WINE, as well. (I haven't used a mac to that extent...I'm more likely to just put Linux on the thing.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Wo
Wonder

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:43 am Post

Sounds good! Just wondering, when version 1.0 is released, will the NaNoWriMo trial be updated as well?

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:40 am Post

The NaNoWriMo trial was updated to version 049, so you can download and install that if you want (clear your browser cache before redownloading from the offer page, as some browsers have a habit of just regurgitating the old file). it won't be switched over to 1.0 code, but you should be able to get through November with it just fine. A lot of the final work going into 1.0 deals with compile--cleaning up some formatting bugs and so forth--so you're not likely to run into these issues while drafting your novel.

You could also just switch over to 1.0 when it's available and run it as the trial version; since you'll already be a week into NaNo at that point, you'll be able to carry through into December on the regular 30 day period and then purchase a license with your winner's coupon and register if you want to keep it. :)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

sn
snarkysweetness

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:06 am Post

When I pulled up my code from last year's NaNo, it says it expires September 7, but NaNo never sent another code. Will that code still work? I won't be able to pre-order, but I want to make sure that I'll still be able to get my 50% off.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 am Post

You can try it with no risk. The coupon entry part of the form is a step that takes place before you actually check out.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles