LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 035 RELEASED

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:46 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:You could've started a new thread, but this is fine. I'll just go through your list. :)
thanks. i'm sorry to only just now be getting back to this.

Montree_Whiles wrote:1. very difficult to align text with a full paragraph indent. need to have an indent button up top with the outline numbering button.

Although there’s no button for this, you can use the shortcuts Ctrl+T and Ctrl+Shift+T to move the first-line indent right or left and Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Shift+Q to move the overhang indent right or left. These aren’t listed in the menu yet (they will be) but they’re working.
i'm not much of a short cut key person. i was using ms word for my writing. didn't have to use shortcuts to correct alignment issues in outlines. i'll try to get some screen shots to better illustrate the issue. i think most corrections i have done in word require a right click and menu selection.

2. cannot change number sequence easily on outline.

In what way are you trying to change it? (I’m assuming you’re talking about a numbered list in the editor, yes?) I believe there have been some adjustments to make this easier which will be out in the next update, but I’ll double-check if you can let me know a little more specifically what you’re doing and what results you’re getting.
when doing an outline, if i have material in the previous numbered tier which is formatted somewhat differently, then i move down to start the next ennumerated tier i cannot do so easily. again, perhaps i need to provide a few screen shots. i probably won't be able to duplicate it now.

3. when copy/pasting to a text file text modifications (e.g., italics) are lost.

Where are you copying from and to, and what command are you using? (I assume a standard Ctrl+V paste, but there is a Paste and Match Style command which does strip formatting and is intended to.) I’m not able to replicate this at all, so as much detail as you’ve got would be great.
i highlight the area to be copied, then right click and select copy. i then paste into the text file. i don't use the export option as it's too convoluted for my needs.

4. for some reason a week or so after having installed the version 035, the version was lost. i had to reinstall the new version. i kept getting an error box telling me the version had expired.

Were you running an earlier beta prior to 035? The beta has a countdown as well as the “real” beta expiration date, so it’s possible that you hit 30 days in the countdown and needed to click the “reset” button to bump that back up to continue to Nov 7th. I’m not entirely sure how the code works if the beta goes past 30 days without being reset, so it’s possible there’s an issue here where it would not give you that prompt again and would just pop up the error message saying the beta had expired. If that’s the case, I’m quite sorry! Make sure this time around too that you hit the “Rest” button at least once so that you’ve got a full 30 days—that’ll get you through until the Nov 7th expiration.
i installed over the previous installation with the notion it was an upgrade and not a completely new software version.

5. line numbering would be a much appreciated addition. this would accommodate group critique sessions well.

This is something on the list for down the road.
Great!

6. when using the the indents and bullets feature, the next indent is weird if you turn off the bullets. i have a bit of a hop, skip, and a dance to do to get the indent to align further out with the main body of the text.

The shortcuts listed above should make this easier.
I'll have to send some screenshots of this also. This is an issue similar to a few of the above noted issues.

7. i wasn't successful finding a way to turn off the auto caps feature. is there a way?

There are some choices for this in the Auto-Correction tab of Tools>Options.
Thank you.

8. i wasn't able to find a way to export or import a section of an existing scrivener file to a new scrivener file.

Open both projects side by side and then drag the selected files from the first project’s binder to the second’s.
I'm not sure we're on the same page on this. I want a completely new project file. What I do in this case is create a short story project file. Once it's at a stage of completion requiring a clean up, I move it up to a different tier. But, those short stories which take on a life of their own require a separate project file. I'll try to do what you've suggested above, but I can't visualize it as working in the way I need.

Thanks again for getting back to me on my concerns. :D

btw, i don't use any of the templates or predesigned formats, i start with a blank project and build my own.
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:11 am Post

I think the described method is what you need, unless I'm misunderstanding. You basically are graduating a short story to its own project, right? You start with blanks, so create a new blank project for this short story, and then drag the story's binder structure from the old project into the new blank one. Now you have a focussed project on that story. You can delete the old structure if you want, or file into an archive folder within it. From that point on the new project has its own life. It's doing exactly what you describe as wanting to do, the only difference is that the steps you take are in a slightly different order. Instead of creating a new project straight out of an existing one, you create the new project first and then copy over the material you want to populate that new project.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:27 am Post

thank you. that worked perfectly.
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein