LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 026

ay
ayekah
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:34 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:(Yes, I mentioned the Up/Down shortcut wishes to Lee; we'll see what can be done.

Thank you, Jennifer, for passing this on (I have retired my stick; may the horse RIP...).

na
nathanzal

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:25 pm Post

garpu wrote:Dump your browser cache, then reload the page. It should turn up.

It doesn't, and I'm confident that I have dumped the cache and reloaded properly. The readme in the archive I download starts this way:

WELCOME TO SCRIVENER FOR WINDOWS BETA 0.0.25

And the "about" window:

so... it doesn't look like it's actually, well, there.

This is the link as I see it in my browser:

[url]
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scriv ... Beta16.tgz
[/url]

And, doing the (possibly) logical thing by incrementing the number in the file name, thinking that might produce something interesting:

[url]
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scriv ... Beta17.tgz
[/url]

...that doesn't exist.

So, any solution? If it does exist, I would like to use it; all of my reasons are well summarized in the Beta 26 readme...

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Nathan

Sp
SpirosD

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 pm Post

Good Job Lee & Team! :mrgreen:

I've been using Scriv for what seems like forever and I keep forgetting it's still in "beta". The occasional glitch here and there but nothing major, at least from me.

I've paid for "finished" apps that were nowhere near as stable as Scriv.

Keep up the awesome work. :P

VJ
VJC

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:38 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Header and footer in the editor will need to be turned back on for each editor split in all projects prior to 025
It might be worth re-creating the tutorial as it assumes you're in header view - obviously it was created ages ago, but on creating it with a fresh install*, the header bar was off making it meaningless: Step 2 is called Header view...

*I do this (and go through it) every time I upgrade as a basic stress test

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 pm Post

Yes, the tutorial needs a good overhaul in other respects as well, as you may have noticed, since it was created many betas ago and Scrivener has grown a lot since then. We'll be sure the header/footer is working as well. ;)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

VJ
VJC

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:13 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Yes, the tutorial needs a good overhaul in other respects as well, as you may have noticed, since it was created many betas ago and Scrivener has grown a lot since then. We'll be sure the header/footer is working as well. ;)

Yeah, I know there are lots of problems with it, but most of them are covered by the "this is a beta: some things aren't implimented and\or subject to change" disclaimer right at the beginning, so I didn't want to go into all the inconsistancies (though I hope they're fixed for release). This was just the most strikingly obvious one with a reasonably simple fix. No text needs changing - just recreate it as-is for the next release. Afterall, the feature is actually fully implimented. :)

jm
jmsthornton

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:19 am Post

Upgraded from 0.25 to 0.26 and found the footer word count in documents stopped working. I had it working ok in 0.25 and now it is stuck on the figure it had registered before the upgrade. Is this a known issue?

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:49 pm Post

You need to turn it back on...it's alt-down arrow. Alt + the other arrow keys turn on/off the other various tools and menus.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:47 pm Post

jmsthornton wrote:Upgraded from 0.25 to 0.26 and found the footer word count in documents stopped working. I had it working ok in 0.25 and now it is stuck on the figure it had registered before the upgrade.

Garpu's instructions are how to show your editor footer again, but if I understand correctly that's not the issue but that the number for the word count isn't updating when you type in the editor? This isn't something I've seen, so any other details would be great. Are you seeing this on all your older projects? Does it happen even after you've closed and reopened the project? Do new projects work correctly?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ad
advic

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:20 pm Post

Hi Scrivener
I have been dipping in and out of your wonderful writing programme since its first Windows beta version. The most recent update (to Beta 026) has, to my great dismay, locked me out. Uninstalls, reinstalls, reboots in various combinations notwithstanding, the furthest this version of the Beta takes me is to the registration/trial window (I click "Try") and an icon in the Windows 7 taskbar that, when mousovered, shows me a tab of the Scrivener project I last worked on. When I click on it nothing happens whatsoever.
My muse is anxious to know whether there is a known fix for this, or whether I have to wait until the next beta version/finished software to be released.
thanks for all the good work
Adam

garpu

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:45 pm Post

Out of curiosity, what happens if you select reset instead of try?

Lu
Lunarclipper

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:53 pm Post

advic wrote:. . . the furthest this version of the Beta takes me is to the registration/trial window (I click "Try") and an icon in the Windows 7 taskbar that, when mousovered, shows me a tab of the Scrivener project I last worked on. When I click on it nothing happens whatsoever.
My muse is anxious to know whether there is a known fix for this, or whether I have to wait until the next beta version/finished software to be released.
thanks for all the good work
Adam

A few days after I installed 026, Scrivener told me my trial period had run out. I clicked on "reset" instead of "try" and it went back to functioning properly. Now I am curious: maybe, as Grapu speculated, this might work for you as well? Your situation sounds different, but maybe this will work.

ad
advic

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:09 pm Post

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hitting reset makes no difference. The programme still launches, but I am unable to activate the Scrivener screen from the Windows taskbar. It's there, but it won't let me in.

I am beginning to suspect that Scrivener has a secet feature: a procrastination awareness detector. Yesterday, when I became aware of this problem, I was sitting down to plot out a novel after a long period of cogitatation. By not working smoothly, Scrivener is either a) offering me an alternative method of procrastination by troubleshooting the programme's glitch, or b) seeing how serious I am about taking this step; if I am that earnest, I'll simply switch to a word processor, get on with my creative process, and then return to Scrivener when another beta/the finished programme appears.

garpu

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:45 pm Post

advic wrote:Hitting reset makes no difference. The programme still launches, but I am unable to activate the Scrivener screen from the Windows taskbar. It's there, but it won't let me in.

Okay, weird. Are you using Norton or any other kind of security program? Windows 7, so admin/non-admin shouldn't be an issue...

I am beginning to suspect that Scrivener has a secet feature: a procrastination awareness detector.

Yeah...it does. It'll crash steam, if steam is running when it is. :)

ad
advic

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 pm Post

Okay, weird. Are you using Norton or any other kind of security program? Windows 7, so admin/non-admin shouldn't be an issue...

Same old Avira as ever. Scrivener is definitely running, it just doesn't want me to see it as anything more than an icon on the taskbar.