LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 025 RELEASED

an
andygrunt
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 am Post

Thanks for the new release.

Will there be a complete list of new/changed features in this release? I must admit that apart from the re-arranged menus and extra keyboard shortcuts, I can’t immediately see what’s new. The items listed by Lee at the top of the post aren’t areas I (currently) use so I’m looking for the other areas.

So, if there’s no ‘official’ list, perhaps users could list what they find here? As well as just wanting to play with the changed bits, it will help with testing if we know what’s new or changed.

Also, where should we report bugs? For example, I notice the bug I reported, pasting in URLs twice (when copied from Chrome), is still there. I’ve no idea if that is thought to be fixed in 025 or not so am not sure what to do with the info.
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion

Li
LinnyP
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am Post

Thanks for the update. Installed on top without any dramas. The only thing the had me go 'huh?' was the little dialogue box that pops up when you first open it. It says:

"Scrivener is in Beta and will stop working after 6 days use or after 15th August 2011"

I assume I just ignore the 'after 6 days use' bit since it didn't make sense for me being a beta.

Cheers,
Linny

El
Elminster
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:53 am Post

Thank you, Lee - looking forward to trying it out!

@Linny: Don't worry, that's no problem: see, for instance, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13855

Li
LinnyP

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:27 pm Post

Elminster wrote:Thank you, Lee - looking forward to trying it out!

@Linny: Don't worry, that's no problem: see, for instance, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13855

Thanks Elminster! :-)

in
indigo_room

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:00 pm Post

Thank you, Lee, for all your hard work! 025 sounds terrific, and I can't wait to download, install, and take it for a spin.

Enjoy a bit of air and light before the next round, please. You deserve it!

MimeticMouton

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 pm Post

andygrunt wrote:Also, where should we report bugs?

Since I haven't had a chance to get up a new thread with changes listed (which may take a little time before I can compile that, as I don't have a full list from Lee yet either), for now just continue adding to the end of the 024 list, but indicate in the post that the bug is for 025. As before, if you could create a new topic for the bug report itself, and then just post a link to that at the end of the Known Bugs list, that would be easiest for keeping things organized.

For now, the initial post in the 024 Known Bugs list does mark at least some of the fixed bugs. If your bug report--such as the double past from Chrome--is on that list and not marked fixed, you don't need to report it again. If you don't see it there, or if it's marked fixed but you're still getting the issue, then please post and let me know so I can make sure we follow up on it.

As before, there are other bugs that Lee and I have on the list that I haven't yet gotten up there, ergh. If you've seen other posts about the bug, even if it's not listed, I've probably already gotten it, but feel free to post a link to that thread just to make sure, and of course additional information is always helpful. I'll attempt to get up an updated known bugs list for 025 as well as a list of changes once I've got that information from Lee and have been able to mark off the fixes from the earlier list.

Thanks for your patience!

(And of course if you all want to start a new thread of "New Fun Features/Fixes We Discovered" by all means go ahead. ;))
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ll
Lloeren

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:08 pm Post

Woop-woop!

I only discovered that Scrivener for Windows was a reality a few days back, and have been ghosting the threads ever since, waiting for 025.

I've not used the earlier Betas nor watched the tutorials, so I'm looking forward to finding out how intuitive the interface is to a complete newb. I'll be moving my existing projects (short stories and a novel) over from OpenOffice this weekend and get stuck in - I'll try not to flag up any issues that've been reported/answered on earlier threads.

Lee and the rest of the team, thanks for all your hard work.

Li
LinnyP

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:22 pm Post

Lloeren wrote:Woop-woop!

I only discovered that Scrivener for Windows was a reality a few days back, and have been ghosting the threads ever since, waiting for 025.

I've not used the earlier Betas nor watched the tutorials, so I'm looking forward to finding out how intuitive the interface is to a complete newb. I'll be moving my existing projects (short stories and a novel) over from OpenOffice this weekend and get stuck in - I'll try not to flag up any issues that've been reported/answered on earlier threads.

Lee and the rest of the team, thanks for all your hard work.

I've found it very intuitive so far. I don't have the patience to watch the tutorials and I may have clicked help once. I've used Scrivener for almost a month, and I still just point and click on what makes sense. The only issue I had was not being able to automatically see the footer (View->Layout) so I was unable to click on the layout options. I know now that was bug but I didn't naturally know what 'footer' actually meant for Scrivener.

I expected changing the arrangement of the corkboard be set under (Tools->Option->Corkboard). The hint text says 'Layout Options' but the dialogue title is 'Corkboard Options' - and that's what it really is. It's a very minor issue, but I thought I may mention it anyway since I wasted a bit of time on this until MM helped out.

It seemed odd to be somewhere else even though I get that it's a 'layout options'

MimeticMouton

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:16 pm Post

LinnyP wrote:I expected changing the arrangement of the corkboard be set under (Tools->Option->Corkboard). The hint text says 'Layout Options' but the dialogue title is 'Corkboard Options' - and that's what it really is.
It seemed odd to be somewhere else even though I get that it's a 'layout options'

The hover text disagreeing with the dialogue title is a mistake, and that will change so it reads Corkboard Options, as you'd expect. The cards across setting can also be reached via the Layout>Corkboard menu; the other options like size and spacing require sliders for adjustment and so can't be in the menu--they need a dialogue window, and that's what the footer pop up is for.

These preferences are separate from those in the Options tab because they apply at a project level whereas the preferences set in Tools>Options apply globally and generally affect all your projects. With the separation, you can choose to have just two cards across in one project, with a large card size, but have four or five across in another where you don't need as much text per card, etc. It just provides more versatility, the same way you can choose to have labels show in the binder for one project but not for another. There are a lot of customizable options in Scrivener, though, so I know it can be tricky sometimes finding just the one you want. Lee's adjustments to the menus for 025 I think is a big step up in terms of intuitiveness, but there's probably always going to be one or two things that get you. ;)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Li
LinnyP

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:24 am Post

MM, as always - thanks for the prompt explanation. It truly doesn't bother me, but was just something I noted in that I will look for a tools->options (or edit->options) to change settings, doesn't matter what software I'm using. I always hope everything I need is there.

But I understand what you're saying about the global and project level thing - so whatever Scrivener thinks is best is fine with me. To date, I only have one project so my view is limited. :-)

Anyway, I've had to implement and support software that cost clients tens of thousands of dollars and the user experience was just plain miserable. Scrivener has been a welcome change for it's ease of use. When you get all excited about an idea and just want to write, the last thing you want is to spend time learning how the software works before you felt you could be productive. If it was like that, I'd just be too lazy and switch back to Word. So I'm not complaining, especially if I bump into one or two things.

Happy beta customer :-)

MimeticMouton

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:28 am Post

Oh, I didn't take it as a complaint. ;) I just figured I'd explain why it is where it is, especially since the global/project-level settings can throw people off. It's good to know that using Scrivener has been generally intuitive and enjoyable for you!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Li
LinnyP

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:19 am Post

Ok, dammit...MM, I didn't really think you thought I was complaining. I just wanted another opportunity to gush. I've got writer's block so rather than actually do work in Scrivener, I'd rather be talking about it, contemplating why I like it so much. Sheesh! [Gone back to do write some more crap]

MimeticMouton

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:50 am Post

Heh heh heh. Why do you think I'm hanging out here?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Li
LinnyP

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 am Post

MM, it's been days!

And after all my rattling on about using Scrivener without needing help. I'm actually sitting in front of my computer stuffing my face with pop-corn and reading the Scrivener User Manual thinking, "this is well written". How sad...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:51 am Post

:)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles