Odd Vanishing Text

Ed
EdwardOwen
Platform: Linux

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:57 am Post

Ok, I will try to answer as best I can:
1. Yes, this is a laptop, not part of a network
2. I save a copy on my C drive, one on my external drive and occasionally upload to MS Skydrive. In addition, I compile after every writing session and save that document in all three locations as well.
3. Drive format? Sorry, but that info is way above my pay grade (means I'm not that techie and I don't know)
4. Save after inactivity is set to 2 seconds (must be the default, I have not changed it)
5. No sync or backup services (I normally just drag and drop the entire Scrivener folder or just the project file from the laptop hard drive to the external drive.)
6. Computer may have gone to sleep. I have a bad habit of closing the lid and putting it away and that sends it to sleep mode.

Everything has been restored nicely, but to add to this thread, I did some writing earlier today, did my normal back up routine (I don't think I missed anything) and when I opened the project, both the back up and the C drive copy were older than what I had saved. This could have been an overwrite error on my part and thankfully the compiled version was intact, so no harm, no foul.

Love the "Back up to.... " feature.... wasn't aware of it before I started reading this thread. That will make things easier. Still a huge fan and Scrivener is often the topic of conversation in my writer's group. BTW, if you ever need someone in the Los Angeles area to run classes on using Scrivener, I have a teaching background, including curriculum development. Keep up the good work, but don't forget to get some sleep. ;)

and finally..... MM, what in the world is your avatar all about? I can't seem to make sense of it. (Yeah, probably not the most important question of the day)
"Nothing beats the love of a good woman, but the affections of a naughty one are a close second. - Pocket Philosopher :D

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 pm Post

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. No problem on the complicated ones. ;0) If I could root into it a little further, though:

Admin account--This is just for on your computer, when you log into Windows. With an administrator account, you're able to install programs wherever you want (e.g. to Program Files!) and change system files, etc., whereas with a standard account you'll be told you don't have the appropriate permissions. You should be able to see which it is if you go into the account settings via the control panel. Not a huge deal, but there you are.

Saving the project--I'm assuming you mean that you keep the active project on your C: drive and work from there, then save backups in one way or another to the other locations. Do you do that via the Backup Project To... command or do you just copy the .scriv folder after you've closed the project? Since your backups weren't subject to the data loss that your original was, I'm working off the idea that you must've made a backup before closing, then propagated the backup to the other locations, but if that's wrong please correct me. It will help pinpoint when the data disappeared.

EdwardOwen wrote:I did some writing earlier today, did my normal back up routine (I don't think I missed anything) and when I opened the project, both the back up and the C drive copy were older than what I had saved. This could have been an overwrite error on my part and thankfully the compiled version was intact, so no harm, no foul.

Step-by-step details on your backup routine would help figure this out too. It sounds as though you may have been accidentally working off the wrong project, which is common enough if you save the same file to multiple locations. What exactly was the difference in the files--are you saying that various changes you had made weren't there or that the modified dates on the projects were off?

Glad in any case of course that you've always had a backup of some sort to restore from!

EdwardOwen wrote:MM, what in the world is your avatar all about? I can't seem to make sense of it.

It's a Portal 2 designer turret! :)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ed
EdwardOwen
Platform: Linux

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:05 am Post

Yes, I have admin permission. I normally work from the C drive, then copy everything over to the external drive. When I execute "Back up to...." I have folders on both C and external and backup to both. The exception to this is when I'm using my computer at work (which happily, now has a copy of Scrivener on it, love the drag and drop install ability). I save to the external drive, then copy everything back on to the C drive when I get home. I know it sounds crazy, but I always compare date/time stamps before I overwrite.

The problem was that both copies were missing info that I had typed, but they didn't match, which is very odd considering that I almost always overwrite everything to the same copy. If nothing else, beta testing teaches us good habits, hopefully not at too great a price.

Loved the turret video, sounds like a game that would completely derail my writing efforts. :lol:

Ed
"Nothing beats the love of a good woman, but the affections of a naughty one are a close second. - Pocket Philosopher :D