27th APRIL - LEE'S UPDATE

LAP
Platform: Windows

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 am Post

Hi Beta Testers,

I apologies for the mounting posts that have received no response thus far. I needed to take a break over Easter. I returned refreshed today.

Keith has finished his quality control audit on the current Windows beta. This has resulted in a 120 page document that I'm addressing one page at a time. Fortunately, 90 pages are mostly user interface tweaks; however, there's still 30 pages of bugs and missing 1.54 Mac features. I now know why his footer states: 'Being "gruff and quirky" since 2007'.

I still have a growing list of bugs to address from this forum as well. Ian's off getting married. So, it's just me with a mountain work, email and posts that I'm not getting through as fast as many of you would like. I believe help is on the way forum wise - but I'll wait until things are official before announcing anything further.

I'm learning a great deal on this journey. Some things are much clearer now. For one thing I'm no longer in a hurry to release despite a myriad of pressures to do so. I've become paranoid, especially given what happened with beta 022 and the save issue that has been addressed in 023. It's imperative, reading much of your excellent feedback, that for Scrivener to be releasable it be near perfect and simply - work. I think we're a little way off that yet. Scrivener is good, but it needs to be great before it's going to loose the title of beta. At this stage, I'm not sure when that is going to be. However, I will be looking to release the next beta late May 2011. I think you'll all be quite surprised when you get your hands on this beta.

Lee

ry
ryanmwilliams

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm Post

Thanks for the update and all of your hard work Lee. Sounds like a good approach.

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 pm Post

Mr Lee,
When the going becomes arduous, a really worthwhile and cathartic diversion, is, druid baiting (he, being of the Mac persuasion).
Take care
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:02 pm Post

Happy easter (or chocolate bunny day, if that's more your style) and congrats to Ian!

Woot about the 023/022 save bug. It was the unclean installs?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:07 pm Post

Take care. Looking forward to the next beta. Look after yourself and those you care about.
Last edited by StaceyUK on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

olorinpc

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 pm Post

Great work Lee - thanks for the update!
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

da
danwdoo

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:23 pm Post

Hi Lee,
Glad to hear you made the wise decision to take some time off and get some much needed recouping in. I'm also very pleased to see that you have decided to keep pushing back the release until the product is right. While the tight release schedules (and expirations) have made for some exciting and dramatic last minute moments :wink:, it also created a lot of unneeded pressure on everyone--you most of all!

As far as schedules, if finances are an issue leading to time constraints, I would suggest considering a pre-order program where users can purchase the released program in advance. This is a very common practice, and I think we've seen enough already to know that we would be more than willing to pay in advance for what we already know will be an invaluable tool.

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:32 pm Post

danwdoo wrote:As far as schedules, if finances are an issue leading to time constraints, I would suggest considering a pre-order program where users can purchase the released program in advance. This is a very common practice, and I think we've seen enough already to know that we would be more than willing to pay in advance for what we already know will be an invaluable tool.

I second this.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

In
Inrideo

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 pm Post

I bought the Minecraft Alpha and I'd buy a Scrivener Beta.
And I highly recommend you sit down with a calendar, work out your schedule and then let a friend look at it and insert break days where they think you've shorted yourself. It's a big project and it's easy to get lost in it.

in
indigo_room

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 pm Post

Thanks, Lee, for all your hard work. Scrivener for Windows is going to be a terrific product, and I'm more than willing to wait until you and Keith know it's ready to release. In the meantime, I'd certainly make a prerelease purchase if that sort of offering looks like a good idea to you and the rest of the team.

You've done a great job. Not worth burning yourself out or getting sick or something. I second the poster who advised you to plan the occasional day off. Some of us have been waiting for a few years for ScrivWin. We can wait a few more months.

jm
jmsthornton

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:07 am Post

Great job Lee, and I too totally support you taking the pressure off and getting it right at a more considered pace. Here's a suggestion. Take the end-dates off the betas. That means you don't have to panic if you discover something wicked and convoluted that pushes out your dates, and we can also breath easier without the cliff-hanger releases.

da
danwdoo

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:24 am Post

They won't and shouldn't take the end dates off the betas because there are an unfortunate many who would just use the beta forever and never pay for the program, but there's no reason the dates can't be stretched out so that we never have to worry about running into the limit before the next date either. I would think 30-60 days for instance would be more enough to keep everyone happy, and the pressure off the next release.

al
altocumulus

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 am Post

Just take it easy!

No point in rushing, absolutely none at all, none, nada, none.....

Slainte

(Ian's off getting married - who does he think he is - a prince :roll: :lol: )
Scrivener 1.9.0.0 for Windows on --- Laptop running Windows 10

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:28 pm Post

Ok, had to get it in the right thread. As if we don't all make mistakes.

Just want to add my support to all you've said in your latest message, Lee.

The thing to remember, I feel, is that while it will take its proper time to perfect as a packaged product, Scrivener Windows is already just a terrific writing tool, in use by many. You and Keith should take a great satisfaction in that.

Beta is beta, and this has been a turning moment, I think very much for the better. I believe all sorts of 'floaters' and ghost problems are going to go away with the tightened up installer-deinstaller system.

I believe we have to address the DropBox usage, as just mentioned, and I'll soon have a post on what I've been able to see for that. This will clean up another good set of evident problems, including some further ones about saving.

What you and Keith are working on now which builds a perception level for polish seems entirely healthy.

Lee, you yourself show as someone I'd like to have had as a leader and in a team, at any point in a long history. This is the kind of experience through which anyone really learns.

All the best.

Regards,
Clive
Last edited by narrsd on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bargonzo
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:41 am Post

And help has, indeed, arrived! See the post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13059