Urgent: Reward for help with the non-saving bug

Bd
Bdillahu
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:28 am Post

I'm sure I've probably just missed the obvious, but where do things stand on the non-saving bug? This thread seems to have concentrated on an issue with upgrading from previous versions where a setting didn't get cleaned out (which does sound plausible), but I wasn't sure if research has ended, if a fix has been declared, or if I should still be 'worried' about this one :-)

Thanks!

Bruce

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 am Post

I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) it was due to unclean uninstalls. It should've been fixed with the clean uninstall when 024 hit.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 am Post

A lot of work went into the last couple betas to resolve this issue, fixing the optimization code that seems to have introduced the problem, and with the more robust installer of 024 cleaning out the vestiges of earlier installs, the latest update seems to have nearly obliterated the problem. Lee is continuing to go over the code with a fine-tooth comb, and has a third party expert examining it as well, to be sure that everything possible is done to make Scrivener absolutely solid.

I still recommend making regular backups as suggested at the beginning of this thread; that's just good practice when working with a beta in any state. And if you do experience this bug in 024 and can provide a way to reproduce the issue, then please do post (and claim your bounty!).
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

da
dan man
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm Post

I also had seen the issue of the multiple versions in add/remove programs and it was one of the main reasons I've been uninstalling, deleting all remaining files, installing newer beta. This could be key to the issue . I'd like to hear what happens when those experiencing the issue due a clean install. Are there any Windows Support forums so i can see if anyone has a similar issue?

st
staz

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:50 pm Post

Hi, I've started using Scrivener and have run into a rather frustrating problem. It seems to relate to the issue you have identified.
I created a Project, Exposure, and began entering the first chapter. An hour later, I saved the file, Ctrl-S, and then continued editing. At some point, I shut down Scrivener. Next day, I restarted Scrivener and immediately received a message that "Project Exposure is incompatible with this version of Scrivener" Clicking OK simply closed Scrivener; there are no other options.
The project is in My Documents and nothing appears amiss. Thinking that previously shutting down Scrivener, without first saving, may have caused the glitch, I decided to delete the project completely and start over. Scrivener was not running; however, when I tried to delete the project and files, a Windows Explorer message popped up to say that the folder could not be deleted because it was open and being used by another program; close the files first, then delete. The problem was that nothing was running on the computer except Windows Explorer.
Not wanting to lose my original edits, I created a new Project, New Exposures, entered the Exposure folder, via Explorer, and extracted the informaion from the .doc files, and copied this into MS Word and into the New Exposures folder. I then coninued on, creating a second chapter. I saved repeatedly, and also created "Backup Project" folders; closed the program and shut down the computer.
This morning, I restarted Scrivener and it immediately popped up with the message that "Project New Exposures is incompatible with this version of Scrivener". Clicking OK takes me to the Create new project form.
The oddity in all this is that the Backup Project folders for New Exposures open without any problem. Also, and this is very bizarre, the original Exposure folder is now no longer incompatible and opens.
I scanned the forum quickly to see if this is a recognized problem, but saw nothing.
I'm going to continue using the beta to see if I had hit some obscure keying glitch; however, I should not be able to corrupt files so easily, or at all, using the keyboard within Scrivener. If this an embedded problem, it really needs to be fixed. If, however, you can spot what I may be doing wrong, please let me know.

I have found one other minor problem. The margin markers on the ruler don't behave as expected. For example, the two triangle markers work fine individually. However, the bottom square marker only moves the bottom triangle; it should move both triangles in tandem.

MimeticMouton

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 pm Post

Hi staz,

The "project incompatible" message sounds like your project's version.txt file got wiped, so if that's the case it should be an easy fix to get your projects opening again. In File Explorer, open your project's .scriv folder, navigate into the Files folder, and then open the version.txt file in a plain-text editor like Notepad. Select all, type "16" (no quotes), and save. That should let your project open again.

This file does seem slightly fragile, which Lee is aware of, but your experience is still a rarity, and if you're continually getting this there may be some trigger with where or how you're saving the file that we'll want to investigate--nothing that you're doing wrong necessarily, but to do with how Scrivener is interacting with your system. I'm also not fully convinced this is the issue, since your project started working again all by itself, which is a bit queer. If you run into it again, please post (and start a new thread on the issue so we'll be able to focus on that; it's a separate problem from the bug addressed here anyway).

The ruler sliders is a known issue and on the list to be fixed, thanks!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Fr
Frrh

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:25 am Post

Am currently reinstalling Sriv .35 for Windows. Saved every piece of work I did yesterday (folder on the desktop, if it matters). Opened Scriv this morn and nothing was saved. Actually, I watched as the index cards in the binder blinked to blank sheets. Everything, including the templates were gone.
Glad I kept the word doc separate and C&Ped rather than importing...
Uninstalled and am now re-installing to see if it was a one time deal. Love the program when it works.

MimeticMouton

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 pm Post

Frrh - I'm so sorry you've lost some work! If you have a chance, any extra details you could give about this would really help us to figure out what happened. First, when you installed 035, if this wasn't your first time installing Scrivener, did you make sure to run the 029 uninstaller (as admin)? Did you do anything else as part of the uninstall process (e.g. manually deleting the Scrivener directory, clearing out your user files, etc.)?

Some additional questions (if you don't know the answer, that's fine, but any info you can provide would be helpful):

1.) What is your operating system (e.g. French Windows 7 pro 32bit)?

2.) Is your Windows user account standard or administrator? Did you install Scrivener as an admin (even if you were in a standard account, you can do this by choosing to run the installer as an administrator)?

3.) Where are you saving your Scrivener project file? (e.g. to your Documents folder, to a thumb drive, etc.)--specifically, are you saving to a network drive, an external drive, or into a special action folder like Dropbox? Do you have full write permissions for this location?

4.) What format is the drive you're saving the project to? (NTFS, fat32, etc)

5.) What is your 'Save after period of inactivity' set to in Options>General

6.) Do you have any backup or sync services running while working in Scrivener?

7.) Was your project left open while your computer was inactive (went into screen saver, sleep, hibernation)?

8.) and as much relevant information as you can so that Lee can reproduce the same situation as closely as possible

Frrh wrote:Saved every piece of work I did yesterday (folder on the desktop, if it matters). Opened Scriv this morn and nothing was saved.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Were you exporting documents from the binder or compiling? When you first create a Scrivener project, you give the project a name and choose a save location (e.g. your Documents file) and then as you work your project is continually auto-saved in that location; even if you click "Save" it is just saving to that same spot. So I'm not clear here if you just mean that you created your project on the desktop and then used the "Save" command frequently, or if you were specifically saving external copies of your documents by using File>Export or something similar. If you are referring to external copies, then I assume these were all still intact even though the Scrivener project itself was missing files when you reopened, as they're no longer part of the project or touched by Scrivener at all, but again, clarification here would be great.

Frrh wrote:word doc separate and C&Ped rather than importing...

You might just mean you're glad you didn't go to the extra work of doing that or updating the documents in Scrivener, but just in case this isn't clear, when you import you're just creating a copy in the Scrivener project; your original file isn't removed from your hard drive. So even if you had imported, the original file wouldn't have been lost when the files went missing from the project.

Again, I'm very sorry you've had this experience! One other point for the future--definitely make regular use of File>Backup Project To to make a full backup of your project. Even without freak incidents like this, it's always a good idea to have backups of your work.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Jeannie the Red Jay

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:24 am Post

I did several uninstalls. Because I thought it wasn't working. But my version says it's 0.0.45. I have files all over the place, but it could just be my fault.

I did this awful thing. Ordered a new computer with dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I had never used Word except in rare circumstances with WINDOWS XP, home version. (They delivered the wrong version- and I never changed it because i rarely wrote in anything except html.)

My tech didn't even put the Windows Word, Excel, etc. up, just the OS, because I was planning to change over to Ubuntu completely. I've also been sick, so I just thought it was me. Today I went back and redid the Nanowrimo Template and Scrivener Interactive Tutorial. Some things didn't work, but I could figure most of it out, anyway,

I saved stuff I couldn't find later. But again, I thought it was my fault. So I e-mailed them to two friends and made hard copies while I still had them in the Editor. I was going to go back through all that tomorrow. But after I came to this forum tonight, I think maybe I should wait and call the consultant to come back. This whole system is too new for me to want to start messing with the registry.

Until yesterday, I was just concerned with writing. For me this isn't just for fun. I'm going to be putting most of my stuff into other forms for a cross-country teaching website, and learning Ubuntu and more recent web design, like CSS and JavaScript.

Consultant specializes in Windows. I'll ask him to help me trace all those files, many of which are now saying they can't locate themselves. Duh! I know it's a pain, but I'll just keep using Scrivener's as well as I can and making sure I have lots of copies. Husband complaining. It's almost 11:30 p.m.

Hope you find the bug and I'll watch this forum. Jeannie
Jeannie the Red Jay