Unfortunately, it seems that a few users are still experiencing data-loss in beta 023. Apparently, some users find that saving is completely failing to kick in so that when they go to re-open their project, they have lost the writing from their previous session. Obviously, we're treating this as a matter of some urgency - we test each beta on our own machines before sending them out into the wild, but this one has never reared its ugly head in any of our own tests and, so far, we still haven't been able to reproduce it. Lee spent a lot of time investigating and thought he had fixed it for 023, so we're gutted that the problem is persisting for some users, but until he can reproduce it for himself on one of his own machines, he is essentially stabbing in the dark.
Because stability is of the utmost importance to us, I'd therefore like to offer a $200 reward to the first beta-tester who can provide clear instructions that allow us to reproduce the bug. Normally users try to steer clear of data-loss; we hope this reward will encourage someone to experiment and see if they can find a way of consistently losing their work. If we can reproduce the bug consistently for ourselves, Lee should be able to squash it.
The rules to qualify for the reward are simple:
- First ensure you have the latest version of Scrivener for Windows installed (beta 023 at the time of writing) and that any previous versions were completely uninstalled (if you're not sure, uninstall and re-install - this is just to ensure that no files from 022 are still lurking).
- You must post the instructions as a reply in this thread.
- Please provide the instructions as numbered steps so that they are easy for us to follow.
- The instructions must cause data-loss every single time they are followed. So please don't post to say, "Sometimes when I hit save and reopen my project data is lost" - we know that and are trying to find out the exact sequence of events that leads to this occurring.
- Upon following the instructions, Lee must be able to reproduce the problem on one of his machines. Unfortunately it's not enough that you can reproduce the bug - we must be able to reproduce it too, or we can't fix it. It's thus important that you state:
1.) What is your operating system (Windows 7, Vista or whatever)
2.) Is your account admin? (Understand that Windows 7 is admin by default)
3.) Where are you saving your scrivener project file?
4.) What format is the drive you're saving the project to? (NTFS, fat32, etc)
5.) What is your 'Save after period of inactivity' set to in Options>General
6.) and as much relevant information as you can so that Lee can reproduce the same situation as closely as possible
Only one person will get the reward - the first person to provide clear enough instructions in this thread for us to reproduce the data-loss problem. The $200 can be paid via PayPal or direct bank transfer.
Thanks for bearing with us while we track this down - until it's squashed we recommend backing up and exporting and compiling your text before ending each session, just to be extra sure you lose nothing important.
All the best,