13th APRIL - LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 023 RELEASED

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 am Post

jmsthornton, did you perchance have an image in the document, anywhere near that first page?

These large grey gradient areas sound like what for the moment comes with rtf or some other ways of importing images, and one would quite possibly expect the same for a drag-drop.

Until this gets its fix, you can select the page-size-or-so grey backgrounds and delete them. You may also find some quite small icons in there also near the image, which can just as easily be deleted.

After this is done, your text and original images should be present without problems.

Regards,
Clive

jm
jmsthornton
Platform: Windows

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:53 am Post

Hi Clive,
Thanks for the response. No. No image in the original document. That was the mystery. It's easy enough to work around, because the text appears below the grey "image" just fine. However I posted it as a bug, because it is a bug, not because it can't be worked around. I know from having accidentally pasted Word documents into Drupal (web CMS) without stripping them down by using Notepad first, just how much junk a Word document can carry with it, which is why I suspect header material is not being stripped out on conversion to RTF by Scrivener. Lee has the original trouble causing document now, so I hope that is sufficient for him to detect the actual bug.

ks
kseniya

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:29 am Post

In outline view, I'm encountering a recurring issue with graphics not rendering or not refreshing. The leader lines and pluses/minuses that let you navigate through the folder tree structure do not show up sometimes. When I click on a specific line, the plus or minus next to it is displayed, and a bit of the vertical dashed line from the tree. When I click someplace else, those graphics disappear again.

Not a big functional issue, but it's disorienting. Had this problem in Beta 022 and it's still there in 023. I'm working on XP. The project is about 220,000 words.

Thanks,
Kseniya
Attachments
no tree leaders in outline.png
no tree leaders in outline.png (138.16 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
- Kseniya

ks
kseniya

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:46 am Post

This is another issue I had in version 022 and it's still happening in 023:

When I go into the route "manuscript" folder, everything is fine so long as I'm looking at the corkboard, the outline or the text of the immediate folder. When I switch to scrivening mode to see the whole manuscript sequentially, Scrivener freezes. It also ties up 100% of the RAM making the entire machine crawl. I get the hourglass for several minutes. So far, I have not had the patience to wait longer than 10 minutes. I've been forcing a shutdown of scrivener via the task manager. In past beta versions, I had no problem with this, so I don't think it's anything to do with the size of the project which is about 220,000 words. This is on XP.

Thank you,
Kseniya
- Kseniya

Wo
Wonder

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:25 am Post

I haven't had those particular problems with the Outline view, but it does load very slowly for me. It takes much longer than the Corkboard view to load when clicking on the binder, and when scrolling through the view it's a bit slow too.

ks
kseniya

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:12 am Post

Are collections still under development?
It isn't anything urgent, but I couldn't figure out:
1) how to remove files from a collection,
2) how to delete a collection, and
3) how to view a collection in corkboard view, outline view or scrivening view. The Editor shows the first file in the collection when I click the collection heading.

Thanks.
- Kseniya

an
andygrunt
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 am Post

kseniya,

re: Collections, Well, I’m no expert but after playing with it for a couple of minutes…

1 - Assuming it’s not a collection created from a search, select the document in the collection and press delete. It removes it from the collection but not from the normal Binder.
2 - Select the collection then press the ‘-’ button (next to the ‘+’ button) at the top of the collections/Binder window.
3 - Not sure about this one except that selecting the individual docs in the collection (click the top doc then shift+click the last one) allows you to see them in corkboard (or scrivenings or outline) view. There may well be a proper way, but at least it gives you an option.
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 pm Post

kseniya wrote:3) how to view a collection in corkboard view, outline view or scrivening view. The Editor shows the first file in the collection when I click the collection heading.

This will be coming, so you'll be able to click a header bar in the collection and load the whole collection into the editor in whichever view you choose. At present, the solution is to select all in the collection and view them that way, as andygrunt suggested.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ks
kseniya

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:58 pm Post

Thanks, Andy and MM! That was very helpful. I knew I had to be missing something terribly obvious....
- Kseniya

ks
kseniya

Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:48 pm Post

Wonder wrote:I haven't had those particular problems with the Outline view, but it does load very slowly for me. It takes much longer than the Corkboard view to load when clicking on the binder, and when scrolling through the view it's a bit slow too.

Yes, I also have the speed issue with outline view.

On the missing tree graphics issue, I didn't test purposefully, but I think my XP machine is affected, while my Window 7 machine behaves as it should.
<< EDIT: No, I take that back. The issue is on Windows 7 and on XP. It comes and goes... Comes more consistently than goes. >>
- Kseniya

bf
bfmcmanus

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 pm Post

I missed Beta 022 completely since I was in the hospital having surgery, so I haven't experienced any data loss (and I always compile my work before exiting Scrivener anyway). I wanted to thank you for fixing the Endnotes, which are now working perfectly for me (this is a great relief as I have so many).

I'd also like to correct an earlier post where I reported a bug that inserted extra spaces or even pages after certain sections when compiling a document. I discovered that this was actually not a bug; rather I was inadvertently causing it myself by accidentally adding returns at the end of some sections :oops: . These cannot be seen in Scrivener, so I was not aware they were there, but I discovered that if I looked at the scroll bar for the section I could tell whether that section really ended with the visible text. In one case I had several pages of returns, and the only explanation I can think of is to blame my cat, who sometimes walks on my keyboard looking for attention :D . So I apologize for reporting a non-bug! Barbara

ks
kseniya

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:15 am Post

In the spirit of bug reporting... though I feel like I'm here too often!... but then that's only because I love my Scrivener and am spending some quality time in its embrace:

Cardinal sin, I know, but I accidentally opened Scrivener a second time. It did not like that at all and handled it badly by hanging both sessions until I terminated both via Task Manager. One day long from now, it might be good to detect a running session and advice the user that the second session can't open until you close the first... or something....
- Kseniya

In
Inrideo

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:21 am Post

I'm encountering the PDF compile error, while RTF compiled successfully.

Upon PDF compile I get the 'Not Responding' window sometimes, or the "converting files" which proceeds slowly until it spits out the "Could not start print job" in a Wordpad dialog box. What I have does compile successfully, though the formatted PDF document lacks the page breaks.

I'm running Win7 in a Virtualbox VM under Ubuntu, with only Sumatra PDF. No Adobe or Foxit installed.

I'm trying to produce the critical missing text bug but no luck so far. That aspect at least has been stable for me.

jm
jmsthornton

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:23 am Post

:( Just crashed 023. I had previously pasted in a reference from Zotero in Chicago style, (not the RTF scan style that makes a citation) and it had a hanging indent which had a bug. The reference pasted as three lines and the leading line first words were not visible, being obscured to the left by a the length of a tab. There was no top triangle to the ruler that I could see so presumably this had gone left with the beginning of the hanging indent. I managed to get the first line to align where I could see it and in line with the subsequent lines by positioning the cursor "blind" at the beginning of the line by using the arrow keys, then hitting the tab key. However I thought I would experiment with the bug a bit. Closing the binder did nothing to reveal either the beginning of the hanging indent or the ruler triangle, so I attempted to delete the offending line in the document by hitting enter a couple of times and then trying to move the para to a new return. That's when it crashed. Fortunately it reopened ok although not on the same document as I was previously working. That was still there, first bug intact however. (Whew, sort of.)

I cannot think of a way to send you a replica of the actual para. Even if you run Zotero and try it, it was pasted from a slightly earlier version of Zotero so I don't know whether a paste from the current update would replicate the crash.
Crash data.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Scrivener.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4da54dc6
Fault Module Name: QtGui4.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.7.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4da532e6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0012d2d7
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3