5th MARCH - LEE'S UPDATE

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm Post

Thanks all for your understanding and patience. As Lee has said, there is nothing major wrong with Scrivener for Windows now - quite the opposite - but we do want to take the time to add the spit and polish we think it deserves. Lee has done an incredible job on bringing the essence of Scrivener to Windows, and I'm amazed at how much using the Windows version feels just as at home as using the Mac version I have laboured so long on. But just because the Mac has a reputation for being prettier than Windows, we don't want to skimp on interface tweaks in the Windows version - Lee's secret ambition is to make the Windows version even better than the Mac version eventually after all (ha! Neverrrrrrr!). We therefore want to take this final few weeks to fine tune every interface element and really make Scrivener for Windows zing, while ensuring the trial code works well and fixing up what's left to be done. (I have no idea why I just used the word "zing" - it's been a long day.)

No matter how much Lee does, there is still bound to be a lot more to be done after 1.0 - I know that from painful experience :) - but we really hope that 1.0 will meet expectations and then some.

Thanks again!
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 pm Post

Shiny shiny.

This is a spit 'n polish thing, but the "Open in External Editor" context menu option is available for text documents in the binder. It doesn't do anything, and going off the Mac version where this option isn't available for text items, I don't expect it to, but having it there and just unresponsive is disconcerting.

KB wrote:I have no idea why I just used the word "zing" - it's been a long day.

Zip, pizazz, and sizzle?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

De
Deadaus
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 pm Post

I am disappointed that it has not been release yet after it was announced twice that it might come out as early as April. Now it looks like maybe June? Can't help but feel sad.

My two cents.

Re
Rebeca

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 am Post

Don't feel sad. I rather it be as close to perfect when it's ready for purchase. I'm actually excited for the longer wait, we might get an extra and unexpected surprise in the final version.

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 am Post

Don't feel sad. Even if the program is in beta, it's still completely usable.

That being said, I am a bit sad as well that it's not going to be released quiet yet. But, knowing you guys are working to make it better more than makes up for that.

sc
scribbles

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 am Post

Aw, don't feel sad. It really is usable now.. and when it comes out, there will be ZING! :mrgreen: I really like that. "Zing!"

MimeticMouton

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:52 am Post

Zing zing zing! Ziiiiiiiiiiiing!

That last one is sort of like something racing by you with a "fwooosh!" noise. Just FYI.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:01 am Post

Hey, I could have said "pizzazz" and done jazz hands (except there's no emoticon for it).
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Gr
Grandad7

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:51 pm Post

In my dictionary Zing means "The activeness of an energetic personality" so Zing could be used in conjunction with windows if you think that windows is a living entity and considering sometimes my computer behaves oddly then yes Zing is good. :shock:

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:00 pm Post

Everything is better with jazz hands.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

MimeticMouton

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm Post

Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:50 pm Post

This isn't a bug but a suggestion for polish/refinement. I wasn't sure where to post this so forgive me if it is in the wrong place.

This may sound stupid but it's how the colours are arranged in the colour pallette/colour picker. The current arrangement makes it difficult to find the colour you want at a glance especially if you grade your labels and keywords by colour eg each category has a colour and each sub category is graded from light to dark for example. Could the colour in the picker be arranged similar to this if it does not involve too much coding:

graded colour pallette by StaceyUK, on Flickr

*ducks and runs* Sorry Lee!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

jm
jmsthornton

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 am Post

When XMarks (sync FF bookmarks across platforms) was about to close down last year, the user community got together and used "Pledgebank" http://www.pledgebank.com/ to keep it alive. The other alternative would be for the Scrivener team to add a "donate" button to the website and sit back and see what happens. Some people will simply want to donate. Others will prefer to donate in exchange for some token of recognition, eg as an advance on the paid version. Try the former theory of donation first, I say.

Wo
Wonder

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 am Post

Oh, and I've just remembered -- these are two topics I posted a while ago that I have yet to receive a reply to:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10602&p=81985
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12231

They're both about really nitpicky polishing-up things, so I don't expect them to be fixed straight away, but I thought I should let you know ...

Fl
Flaganatas

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 pm Post

Just to say I'm getting very tired of the repeated updates. Yes I love Scrivener, obviously, but am not a daily writer at the moment so getting tired of trying to open my work and to be told I have to download another version. I really hope this next one will last a couple of months.

Just getting frustrated...