28th MARCH - Reference Documentation

Re
Rebeca
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm Post

You should have a download folder in your system folder. Look under your name and it should be there.

Lu
Lunarclipper

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:36 pm Post

Rebeca wrote:You should have a download folder in your system folder. Look under your name and it should be there.

Interestingly enough, I have a "downloads" folder and a "My Downloads" folder, the manual is not present in either of these folders (Unless it is part ninja and is hiding ;) ) I have also looked in the "My Documents" folder, and the folder I had Scrivener create for Scrivener projects. Any idea of where else I can look? If not, I guess I could just download it a second time, and then pay attention to where the download says it is stashing the thing.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:22 pm Post

Try doing a search for UserManual-Windows.pdf on your system. It will just download to wherever your default download location is for your browser.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ks
kseniya

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:34 pm Post

First of all, a big fat thank you! This, from a life-long dedicated Windows-er who's been deprived -- and didn't even know it -- of a software this wonderful. Turns out half my writer's block moments over the years have had more to do with trying to write a novel in MS Word than with any lack of ideas. So thanks!

I diligently followed each step through about 75% of the manual and skimmed the rest. I'll contribute just a couple of notes, but all are minor. The manual was enlightening.

1. "View" menu > "Reveal in Binder" doesn’t work after using history navigation buttons. It does work when in Scrivening mode, though. The broken scenario: I click on a sequence of text files and folders, than click the back button a few times, go to "Reveal in Binder" but the highlight stays stuck on the last piece of text I had opened by double-clicking from the binder. The working scenario is when I go to a folder in corkboard view, double-click on an index card to open the text, then go to "Reveal in Binder" -- the highlight does change to my current location.

2. "Step 6: End of Part One" seems to be missing a graphic...? “Group Mode should look like this…” is not clear.
- Kseniya

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:58 pm Post

Kseniya, thanks for the kind words and feedback. On your first point, that sounds more like a bug to me that a documentation error. The menu item should be working the way it is described. This should be written up in the bug hunt forum, as Lee might not see it here.

Second query: is this in reference to the interactive tutorial of the PDF?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Lu
Lunarclipper

Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:05 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Try doing a search for UserManual-Windows.pdf on your system. It will just download to wherever your default download location is for your browser.

I found it. Thanks MimeticMouton. I was looking for something with "Scrivener" in the title, which is why I couldn't find it. I put a copy in the "My Documents" folder and renamed it as "Scrivener UserManual-Windows.pdf"

@Lee, in light of my blindness in searching for this manual, you might consider renaming it something similar to what I renamed it: having "Scrivener" in the title does make it easier for people like me (who need a seeing-eye dog to find what we are looking for) to find :)

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:26 am Post

Lunarclipper wrote:you might consider renaming it something similar to what I renamed it: having "Scrivener" in the title does make it easier for people like me (who need a seeing-eye dog to find what we are looking for) to find

Glad you found it!

Ultimately it should be packaged with the application itself and available via the Help menu, so you won't really need to go hunting it up on your computer. But the PDFs (for Mac and Windows) will be available for direct download from the site, too, so maybe throwing Scrivener in the name there would help.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

AmberV

Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:47 am Post

Not a bad idea for the downloads, I've added it to my list. But I think in the future, most people will be interfacing with the manual via the Help menu. In fact that only reason it wasn't integrated this time around was because it came out too late to be included.
Ioa Petra'ka

al
altocumulus

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:27 pm Post

[quote="AmberV"]That's the idea. For educational material there will be:

[*] The video tutorials (in time)

I know this will be extra work, but would it be possible/feasible for the videos to include, either subtitles or, at least, concise balloon points.
I found the tutorial video useful, but have not been able to guess all of what is happening when the cursors stops and hovers for a moment.
Scrivener 1.9.0.0 for Windows on --- Laptop running Windows 10

AmberV

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:17 pm Post

Do you not have sound at all in the videos?
Ioa Petra'ka

Sp
Spartachris

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 pm Post

On page 52 (and elsewhere), the manual says: "Using the
ProjectMeta-Data Settings... ( – ,) you can set up custom names for both the label and
status, and the interface will adjust accordingly, no longer referring to them as..."

I'm using 021, and I have no option under: Project for "Meta-Data Settings" nor can I find meta-data settings anywhere in the menus or options. Am I overlooking something or has this not yet been added? Did I miss a discussion about this somewhere?

AmberV

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:47 pm Post

This is a transitional problem. There is not a menu item for that configuration window yet, but there will be in the indicated location. To get there right now, you have to access one of the Status or Label drop-downs and select "Edit..." at the bottom of the list. If you've never done that before, try opening the Inspector on an item to set its meta-data, or just right-click on an item in the binder, outliner, or corkboard views to access the contextual menu entries for Label and Status.
Ioa Petra'ka

Sp
Spartachris

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 pm Post

Cool. Glad I'm not loosing it. :D

al
altocumulus

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 am Post

AmberV wrote:Do you not have sound at all in the videos?

Forgive me for pointing the obvious .... :?

What good is sound if the ear cannot hear it .... :roll:
Scrivener 1.9.0.0 for Windows on --- Laptop running Windows 10

AmberV

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 am Post

Point well made. I'll pass that along to the video guy and see if we can do something about it.
Ioa Petra'ka