25th MARCH - LEE"S UPDATE - FINAL BETA RELEASED

bargonzo
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:50 pm Post

Great work, Lee--looking good! Thanks especially for BugFix 42. "Many fixes for screen resolutions and auto-positioning of windows, especially tiny netbook screen users," which I assume is the one that fixed the recalcitrant Inspector panel that prevented shrinking the window in regular view. Works great now!

BUG: When switching from Full-Screen to regular view (after having typed some in full-screen), the cursor returns to its pre-typing position in the regular view (what is that called, anyway, Edit View?)

Edit: This happens only if you move the cursor without typing, e.g. to work on another part of the text, then type. It does hold position if you start typing where you left off when switching from regular view to full-screen (then type) then back again. It does not work if you switch from regular view to full screen (move cursor, then type) then back.
Imagine this very elaborate scientific lie: that sound cannot travel through outer space. Well, but suppose it can.

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

ka
karl
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm Post

Lee, you asked us to post bugs here so here goes. When I open keywords the top of the bar is off screen so I'm unable to close it. Its the same type of problem that used to occur (now fixed) when the inspector was opened, except that used to make the bottom of Scrivener disappear off the bottom of the screen. I've attached a screen shot.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (70.01 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

er
ericj
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:35 pm Post

Hi Lee,

Great job with the Beta. Used to write Op Systems myself (many eons ago), so I really appreciate the effort.

BUG report.

I can send you a scriv file for this, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to see the problem there.

I live in Spain and write in English. I am also polilingual so my keyboard config is set up for Spanish (international Sort). When I use Scrivener (writing in English) all the words are underlined as though they are spelling mistakes. This is annoying to say the least. When I export to Word, this doesn't happen.

Any chance of a language overide on the spell-checker?

Keep up the great work.

Eric J. Gates

Pe
Pellinore
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:39 pm Post

YAY! Thank you! I have never in my life been so excited about a release, since...Scrivener 2.0...or maybe IBM PCjr. with remote control keyboard. (i have now dated myself) :)
jolly day for a quest, tu sabes.

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:17 pm Post

Thanks for another release! I cannot wait to purchase.

BUG: Delete key behaviour. When using keywords or document references pressing the delete key deletes a document in binder and places it into trash. Could this behaviour be changed so that the delete key affects the window you have just clicked in rather than the binder.

This could lead to work being accidently deleted if they don't realise what is happening and they empty their trash. Most programs allow the delete key to work in all windows. It is standard behaviour to use the delete key to delete items.

You could have angry users is this behaviour is not changed, especially if they lose a lot of work. :(

BUG: Using the Open > In external editor command does not work. Open > In alternative editor doesn't appear to work either.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:45 pm Post

Sorry to find a bug so soon.

BUG: Ghost Notes Mode

Even when this option is disabled, annotations and footnotes go ghost after a different area of the document in the editor. I currently therefore cannot switch the ghost feature off.

Behaviour:

1 View > Ghost Notes Mode deselected.
2 Nothing happens. Footnotes and annotations retain ghost formatting.
3 Clicking on annotation/footnote results in default formatting.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

RobHamm
Platform: Linux

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 pm Post

Thanks, man!
:-)
And the .deb is at http://robhamm.com/legacy/primary-categ ... ac-anymore

It'd be awesome if other people shared it on their own servers or via bittorrent, too.
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

LAP

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 pm Post

On another note, is the idea to have Scriv files be completely cross-platform, so if I create something on one box, I can pass it back and forth between platforms, with ease?

Absolutely across Win-Linux-Mac.

LAP

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 pm Post

The web page still has 020, and auto update says theres an 021, but it doesn't find the file. Did you pull the files?

Try refreshing your browser, the 020 may have been cached previously.

LAP

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 pm Post

Can the default install directory be in Program Files instead of My Documents? Especially on wine, I had to go dig for it, when I installed the wrong version due to a cached page. Also when I told it to install to Program files, it did exactly that. (Instead of to a file within Program Files.)

garpu, the only reason Scrivener will default to my documents is when it does not have rights to write to the Program Files directory. If it can write it will default to Program Files. This enables users to install Scrivener without Admin rights - well that was the idea. I know you probably know all this but can you please double check.
Lee

LAP

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:47 pm Post

... I just wanted to say "Thank you!" for the Linux version. I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.10.
This is the best writing tool that I have ever seen, bar none...

Thanks very much.

An
AngelaF

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:49 pm Post

Lee,
Thanks to you and the crew for all your hard work, it's been fun watching this come along.

I'm running XP and went through the add/uninstall folder and uninstalled the three versions of Scrivener there. Then I had to go and unblock Scrivener before the install attempt. I then had to re-name Scrivener in order to get it to install. I've had to re-name the file every time for the last four (I think) installs of Scrivener. I told you about the other times and I'm telling you it happened again just in case you would like to know it. I have no ideas why it has me do that.

Thanks again.

All my best to you,
Angela
http://amusedcritic.com/

LAP

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:11 pm Post

There is still a gentle problem with Project Statistics for me.

When I try to load it, it always freezes everything for a while - at least 10 / 15 seconds before it appears.

Then when it gets there and I click "options", that comes up quickly, but it it freezes again for a long time if I try and click back to "Statistics" and once again everything is frozen (and sometimes the whole screen mists out - not always) for an equally long time.

Noted, we'll be looking at things like this specifically next week. Out of interest how many words in the document that is freezing for this 10/15 seconds and what specification is your machine?

LAP

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:14 pm Post

Lee, you asked us to post bugs here so here goes. When I open keywords the top of the bar is off screen so I'm unable to close it. Its the same type of problem that used to occur (now fixed) when the inspector was opened, except that used to make the bottom of Scrivener disappear off the bottom of the screen. I've attached a screen shot.

Thanks Karl, I think I know what that is. Well fix it.

LAP

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm Post

Any chance of a language overide on the spell-checker?

Eric, have you tried changing the default dictionary you are using in Edit>Options then the final setting tab, you can select or download over 30 different language dictionaries including Spanish?