25th MARCH - LEE"S UPDATE - FINAL BETA RELEASED

rc
rcharbon
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 am Post

The web page still has 020, and auto update says theres an 021, but it doesn't find the file. Did you pull the files?

Ke
KennyB

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 am Post

Good work... My only question is regarding header options when compiling; and when compiling to a PDF the margins appear to be only 1/2 inch.

Ken

Do
DocAltMed
Platform: Linux

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 am Post

At the risk of coming off like an utter and total fanboi, I just wanted to say "Thank you!" for the Linux version. I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.10.

This is the best writing tool that I have ever seen, bar none. That says something coming from this hack, who cut his reportorial teeth on an Osborne CP/M machine and later acheived Minor Diety status in Xywrite macro programming.

Ok, back to work. Thanks again.

jm
jmsthornton

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:49 am Post

Big exhalation of held breath! Uninstalled, and it reinstalled very politely with no need to go fishing for my main project. Lee Powell and Christopher Reeve separated at birth but both superman. :D

Ma
MashaH

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:49 am Post

So I have Scrivener 2.0 and am busy writing on it. Can I wait another week and skip 2.1? (I don't want to uninstall, and then transplant all those chapters just yet...) Or will it vanish like Cinderella if I wait? Thanks.

ub
ubersoft

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm Post

Where are you all finding the file? The link points to the scrivener for windows page and the .20 beta is still posted there...

ub
ubersoft

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 pm Post

Nevermind. My browser had cached the old pages. :P Cleared cache, found new files.

co
cor_stellae
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:48 pm Post

Congratulations on this new release! Lee, you're right: a real writer writes, no matter how, no matter when, no matter with what. My best lines this year have been written on a leather-hand-made notebook, on the street, right there where life is happening. Although, and no offense intended, I still like my Mac better. My PC is only an awful thing that I'm attached to in my day job.

By the way, since I'm such an enthusiast, I've already posted the news on my blog, in Spanish, as usually. Scrivener certainly has gotten the attention of a few readers, and I almost think they only get there to get news on this software.

http://blognisaba.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... -beta-021/

garpu

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:40 pm Post

Little nitpick, but it tripped me up pre-coffee.

Can the default install directory be in Program Files instead of My Documents? Especially on wine, I had to go dig for it, when I installed the wrong version due to a cached page. Also when I told it to install to Program files, it did exactly that. (Instead of to a file within Program Files.)

So does an early morning run in your underwear to take the trash out seem as bad? :)

hrm. I got that there was an unexpected error and Scrivener had to close when I tried to run Scrivener after installing, but it appears to be working fine, after clearing the error. When I installed--for the 3rd time this morning--there was no error.

And as to your point about "real writers" using macs, I get that all the time in music. It's like a line I saw on Ravelry: "Just as in the game of thermonuclear war, in the game of Mac vs. PC, the only winning move is not to play." Especially if I want to keep the peace with my in-laws.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Ma
Mar

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:54 pm Post

MashaH wrote:So I have Scrivener 2.0 and am busy writing on it. Can I wait another week and skip 2.1? (I don't want to uninstall, and then transplant all those chapters just yet...) Or will it vanish like Cinderella if I wait? Thanks.

2.0 won't work after today.

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:14 pm Post

MashaH wrote:So I have Scrivener 2.0 and am busy writing on it. Can I wait another week and skip 2.1? (I don't want to uninstall, and then transplant all those chapters just yet...) Or will it vanish like Cinderella if I wait? Thanks.

Just uninstall it and install the new one. You shouldn't loose anything, other than the 10 minutes, or so, it takes to do that (and I wouldn't all them lost, just well spent). The files will all be there still.

ra
rags

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:18 pm Post

Hi and thank-you for another great update.

I am running Vista 32.

There is still a gentle problem with Project Statistics for me.

When I try to load it, it always freezes everything for a while - at least 10 / 15 seconds before it appears.

Then when it gets there and I click "options", that comes up quickly, but it it freezes again for a long time if I try and click back to "Statistics" and once again everything is frozen (and sometimes the whole screen mists out - not always) for an equally long time.

Also, sometimes it lets me change the settings easily on its options menu, and other times even just trying makes it freeze for ages again.

Best Wishes!

Sp
Spartachris

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:28 pm Post

Incredible! Loving it more every day.

BUG, however: When I try to compile to .docx, it gives me an error that I need to have MS Word installed. I do. Compiling to .doc is no problem, however.

Again, you are WINNING!
:D

PT
PTurtle

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:59 pm Post

@andygrunt - How did you download version 021 ... the download page still hasn't been changed over yet ... it still liks to the previous version 020?

an
andygrunt
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm Post

PTurtle wrote:@andygrunt - How did you download version 021 ... the download page still hasn't been changed over yet ... it still liks to the previous version 020?

Yeah - I got that the first few times. Anyway, it seems you need to reload the webpage so the old version is flushed out of your system and you should see the link to the 021 version - it's there, honest!
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion