12th MARCH - LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 0.2.0 LIVE

an
andygrunt
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:24 pm Post

Lunarclipper wrote:I made a comment in your "24TH FEB - LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 1.7 IS HERE" about Scrivener not giving any indication on screen when it was doing any kind of internal processing (ie: saving and such)

Although I see your point (although it’s not a problem I’ve come across), perhaps it would make more sense for Lee to wait until he’s done his optimisation work and then see if these pauses are still troublesome and require this type of indicator?
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion

LAP
Platform: Windows

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 pm Post

I made a comment in your "24TH FEB - LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 1.7 IS HERE" about Scrivener not giving any indication on screen when it was doing any kind of internal processing (ie: saving and such)

Obviously, this make good sense to do this kind of thing if required. We have certainly been slipping in performance tweaks in both beta's 1.9 and 2.0 and we have not finished. I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary to put animations in just yet.

Lu
Lunarclipper

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:51 pm Post

LAP wrote:
I made a comment in your "24TH FEB - LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 1.7 IS HERE" about Scrivener not giving any indication on screen when it was doing any kind of internal processing (ie: saving and such)

Obviously, this make good sense to do this kind of thing if required. We have certainly been slipping in performance tweaks in both beta's 1.9 and 2.0 and we have not finished. I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary to put animations in just yet.

Thanks for the answer Lee. I love Scrivener, I just get a little nervous when I don't have any visual confirmation the program has done something, like save, after I have told it to. I am happy to wait for this until you have more time.

Thanks, Lunarclipper

sc
scribbles

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:58 am Post

I agree with Lunarclipper; I tend to get a little confused when I don't get any feedback from Scrivener when it's doing an internal process, or when it's completing it. It need not be a fancy animation, just a placeholder to "please wait" and a "[process] completed"?

Backing up, for example, seems to make the Scrivener application inactive--which makes perfect sense to me, since it's zipping up all the files and I shouldn't be poking around until it's done, but I have no indicator. If I click too early (and too impatiently/frequently), I can actually trigger a "Not Responding". But if I wait... I'm sort of sitting there, wondering when I can resume my work.

Still, I'm also with Lunarclipper in that I'm more than willing to wait for this. I understand that other bugs and features would definitely have a higher priority. Besides, when I'm not trying to crash Scrivener and simply want to use it, I've learned how to play nice ;)

I'm really loving the program. :D

se
sent
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 am Post

Good work. Looking forward to the 1.0 "final" release.

One thing bothered me, when I installed 0.2.0 and went to FullScreenMode.. everytime I point+click my mouse, I'm searching the (massive) screen for where the cursor and the willing-to-correct-typo went. Could the "always type at middle-screen" become an OPTION? (while doing wordwars and other sprints this is indeed helpfull and gives the feeling of unlimited space to tell the story)

tg
tgif0

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 am Post

37. Research folder and include in draft - Documents and folders created under "Research" have checked by default the option "Included in Draft."

At the very least, there needs to be an setting to have documents other than under "Draft" not default to be included. (By definition can't include in draft files that are not in the draft folder....however, the mac version also has folders created in the research folder marked as "Included in Draft"
Think of it this way. Maybe you plan on moving the file from research to draft later. Or maybe you use it as a template. Wouldn't you still want to be able to fiddle with that setting (and have it on by default) in these use cases? Where as on the other hand, there is no harm in having it there and checked for files in the reasearch folder, they can't be included in the draft anyway. We have not changed this behavior, unless of course there's a public outcry).

Can I start a small outcry? I don't mind if the option is on by default, but I would REALLY appreciate the ability to turn it off for more than one document at at a time. I do have a bunch of pages that will never be a part of the final version but which contain text etc that may be (in other words, they are earlier drafts I am reviewing and reorganising that were imported into scrivener from word). They are not research files and I would prefer to keep them in the writing side of things. For the moment they are colour coded and organised in different folders, so that is how I am trying to distinguish between the files. But I see that 'included in draft' option ticked every time I open one of those pages and it 'alerts' me each time. I just wish I could turn it off, but clicking on the option in each page, and I have tried, is a major drag given the number of pages I do have.

In short, the ability to do a bulk selection and 'untick' included in draft for those selected would keep my quiet. :P
Mac (Lion 10.7.2), Scrivener from app store and PC (Windows Vista 32 SP2) - Scrivener as download.

Bl
Bladesong

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 am Post

sent wrote:One thing bothered me, when I installed 0.2.0 and went to FullScreenMode.. everytime I point+click my mouse, I'm searching the (massive) screen for where the cursor and the willing-to-correct-typo went. Could the "always type at middle-screen" become an OPTION?)

I had this issue also. If you look in the options (Edit > Option, I think) there is the ability to turn off (and on) the typewriter mode (as the "always type at middle-screen" is called) for both fullscreen and normal mode individually.
There is no magic, only onions.

La
Laydilejur

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:36 am Post

Hi. I'm still getting bug the following program crash when I select Snapshot, Take Snapshot, Beta 2.0, Vista Ultimate

12. Snapshot crashing - I was walking through the tutorial and when I got the part that talks about taking a snapshot (5f) when I choose the command it completly crashes the program.
Testing Steps:
a) Start the tutorial.
b) Go to 5f - Snapshots
c) Click Documents | Snapshots | Take Snapshot

bf
bfmcmanus

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:20 pm Post

Beta 0.2.0 has fixed the font and color problems very successfully, but there are still problems with Compile. My OS is Vista Business.

1) When I compile a chapter with multiple sections into a .doc file, a large number of blank pages (as many as 10) are inserted between certain sections, though not all. They are always inserted after the same two sections, even though I can find no difference in these sections and the others. In the Separators tab of Custom Compile, I have selected "single return" for every category.

2) I am still experiencing the exact same problem with Endnotes that I posted in the Windows Bug Hunt on 2/7/11 "Compile breaks endnotes". This was a long post and I will not repeat it here.

It is not difficult to delete all the blank pages that are inserted when compiling, but having to manually fix every endnote is a serious problem, one that I hope will be corrected soon.

Thanks for all the work you are doing on this excellent software! Barbara

Wi
Williamdeworde

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:55 pm Post

bfmcmanus wrote:Beta 0.2.0 has fixed the font and color problems very successfully, but there are still problems with Compile. My OS is Vista Business.

1) When I compile a chapter with multiple sections into a .doc file, a large number of blank pages (as many as 10) are inserted between certain sections, though not all. They are always inserted after the same two sections, even though I can find no difference in these sections and the others. In the Separators tab of Custom Compile, I have selected "single return" for every category.

Got the same problem, when I just compiled my whole Draft (~50k words). There are some ends of sentences or even somewhere in the middle of a sentence and paraghraph where page breaks are inserted. I could not see any similarities, why it can possibly happen. I then changed each one of the options in custom mode one by one, but nothing changed really. When i let Scrivener compile to pdf, doc, docx, rtf i always get the failure. Only in txt and html all is fine. (txt has no pagebreak I think.)

In Version 018 was no failure. I compiled my draft fully to print it and do some work on it, when i had noc PC with me. All was fine. (Except the text ;-)
Thank you for your awesome work. Greetings, Markus