5th MAR - LEE'S UPDATE & BETA 1.9 RELEASED

LAP
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 pm Post

Hi Beta Testers,

I have uploaded beta 1.9 this morning as I know many of you are keen to get your hands on it over the weekend. I have a busy day today running the kids around for sport etc. basically it's Dad's taxi service day. So, I'll be succinct and try and get online again later today when I have a little more time.

If you're 'Check for Updates' option on the help menu is not working you can either download the full install from http://www.scrivenerforwindows.com or run the autoupdate-windows.exe manually (i.e. double click the file). It resides in the Scrivener\liveupdates directory. The benefit of running the autoupdate-windows.exe directly is that it's approx a third of the size as the full installer.

Bugs Fixed in this release include:

1. Ability to set a whole host of Edit>Options including: background editor color and text. These colors will also be reflected in full screen as well. Some folks might wish to change their poll votes in light of this?

2. Ability to change font size and type for project notes and document notes.

3. Ability to set a default zoom level for new projects to any value you wish.

4. Ability to set a default zoom level for project notes.

5. Ability to set a default zoom level for document notes.

6. Fixed scrolling zoom issue i.e. now doesn't need to scroll through text before it zooms.

7. Fixed empty find and replace string. Now replace button is enabled without the need for a replacement value.

8. Ability to remember general location in a document when you leave and return to it i.e. it does not return to top, but rather in the area (not exact location) you were working before so you should not need to scroll.

9. Fixed the ability to show sub document counts in binder.

10. Ability to View>Use Label Color in Binder. Yes, there's was lots frustrated people who should now be appeased with this missing feature - which I simply missed.

11. Just for good measure, added ability to reflect label color in binder icons and also in outliner.

12. Fixed crash perfectly reported by wfence here:http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?F=32&t=11915&p=89285#p89285
13. Fixed 'Copy without Annotation and Footnotes'. This was in the menu but never implemented. It works now.

14. Added several potential fix options for auto-update as many users were not able to run it from the menu, or the dialog did not function properly i.e. non functioning/crashing 'Close' button. For the life of me I can't duplicate this, it could be firewall/virus protection? So, I've added a few duplicate options to the 'Check for Updates' menu to see if one works better than the other.

15. We are also starting to look at performance and profiling tools to begin optimizing Scrivener as we have not done this yet.

16. Fixed remembering previous save locations in dialogs wherever save or saveas is used.

17. Folder retains content icon even though it is empty bug fix.

18. "Novel Standard Manuscript Format” line spacing is set was set to 1.0, not 2.0 - fixed.

19. Several Compile draft bugs have been addressed including page breaks, line spacing etc.

20. Font size in About Scrivener and Check for Update dialogs has been addressed i.e. it's readible now.

21. We have speed up the Scrivener start up time. It is now 80% faster than it was previously.

Next, week we aim to continue looking into optimizing Scrivener performance as well as sort out all the remaining compiler bugs and a whole swag of others.

Note: The linux build is also available from http://www.scrivenerforwindows.com

Take care,

Lee

Ke
Kensai

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:47 pm Post

Now this is what I've been waiting to hear. Now I can actually start testing this mythical thing.

Thank you.
Kensai

Re
Rebeca

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 am Post

Wow! So happy I didn't sign-off for the night and checked the forum one more time. Now I can color-code to my heart's content! Thank you so much for all your hard work! Have fun as the weekend kid taxi service!

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:21 am Post

Woohoo!!

Does this mean I actually have to be productive? :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

jd
jdillon
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:16 am Post

LAP wrote:10. Ability to View>Use Label Color in Binder. Yes, there's was lots frustrated people who should now be appeased with this missing feature - which I simply missed.

11. Just for good measure, added ability to reflect label color in binder icons and also in outliner.

Lee, you rock! My productivity just stepped up 50%! No more distractions from poking around in docs I shouldn't be looking at right now. :wink:

Beta 0.1.9 is looking really, really good. Brilliant work.

Sc
Scribe
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 am Post

This looks great! Can someone point me to how to reflect the label color in the binder icons?

an
andygrunt

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 am Post

Scribe wrote:This looks great! Can someone point me to how to reflect the label color in the binder icons?

Yep, had me poking around a bit to find it too.

Go to ‘View/Use Label Colo(u)r in’ and choose Binder.
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion

an
andygrunt

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:52 am Post

Ooh, just noticed you can set two different zoom levels when in split screen - very handy :)
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion

ta
tadhgk

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:59 pm Post

One thing I notice between the PC and Mac versions is that the fonts don't match. I have a project on my mac using whatever the default settings are, and I use Dropbox to sync it with my PC. When I open it in Scrivener for Windows though, it displays in big ugly Verdana.

What's going on?

da
danwdoo

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:03 pm Post

LAP wrote:21. We have speed up the Scrivener start up time. It is now 80% faster than it was previously.

On slower computers such as my laptop, the reduction in startup times seems much more dramatic. It's on a magnitude of several times faster. It's now crazy fast =)

Even more importantly, clicking on binder items no longer causes any noticable slowdown in the testing I've done so far. This is fantastic!

Thanks a bunch!

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:14 pm Post

Whee! *does happy dance*

When can I pay for it?
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

am
amors
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 pm Post

clicking on binder items no longer causes any noticable slowdown

No, if text font is for example "Cambria", not "Verdana", clicking on binder items for long text still causes slowdown for me. (Win7 x64). But startup speed is excellent!

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 pm Post

1. Ability to set a whole host of Edit>Options including: background editor color and text. These colors will also be reflected in full screen as well. Some folks might wish to change their poll votes in light of this?

Just seeking clarification. Are separate options for fullscreen colors in the pipeline like the Mac version?

There maybe circumstances where a user may wish to have two different color schemes. One for the editor and one for fullscreen. For full screen someone may wish to have light text on a dark background for writing draft but would like dark text on a light background for editing so they could use highlighters for example that don't work as well with light coloured text.
Last edited by StaceyUK on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

pe
pencildancer

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:29 pm Post

Extremely happy to have the color! Now I can tell whose POV is in what scene by just looking.
Thank you!

Lu
Lunarclipper

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:48 pm Post

Great work Lee! I like how the update check works so far! We'll see what happens with when I try to down the next release.

On the down side: Snap shot/Roll back still has the same problem. I will re-explain it here so you don't have to search for my original post in that endless sea of posts.

The Snap Shot portion of the operation works great as far as I can tell. The problem is the Roll Back portion. When I click on roll back the text from the version I am trying to roll back too is inserted at the cursor in the current version. It does not replace the text of the current version as I would expect it to. The work around so far is to select all the text of the current version of the document, delete it, then perform the Roll Back in the blank document.

I think this feature might work If the snap shots were treated like files, then all you would have to do is "close" the current version of the document, then "open" the desired roll back version in its place. (Of course, you would know better what to do. I leave it in your capable hands.)

Hope this helps point you in the right direction, Lunarclipper

(running Beta 1.9 on Windows XP) Side note: anyone else notice that the XP in Windows XP, when viewed as an emoticon, looks like it died with it's tongue out? Hmmmm! Think it might have been Freudian slip on the MS programmer's part? jk lol