USER POLL -WHAT FEATURE DO YOU WANT FIRST AFTER RELEASE?

What Scrivener 2.0 feature do you want delivered first after 1.0 is released?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 am

EPub and .MOBI eBook generation from compile
29%
peg-Multimarkdown & Latex support
2%
Metadata
3%
Multiple project notes
2%
Comments and footnotes in inspector
11%
Text editor layouts
7%
Sync with Simplenote
2%
FinalDraft import and export
6%
Customizable icons for binder, cork board and outliner
8%
Full screen background customization & free form cork board
30%

Total votes: 121
Sp
Spitfire
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm Post

Actually, I'd like the revision pens first out of everything but they don't seem to be an option on the poll.

bo
bobbyjohn

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:02 pm Post

Another vote for "Export as EPUB"!

ti
timbur

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:28 am Post

MaryRobinette wrote:
brightthings wrote:Like Metonymy, none of the above, at least not at the moment. Two other things would make life easier for me:

1. Return to same position on a document after having selected and viewed other docs in the binder. For example, if I edit file10, then I go and check something in file6 and file7, then come back to file10, I'm always returned to the top of the page, not to where I was last editing. I then have to find my place again.

Ditto this.

Definitely agree. Though I suppose a split-pane approach would work in the meantime (or maybe better). Keep your main document open in one pane and use the other to explore other documents.

Tim

ti
timbur

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:40 am Post

I agree that color icons and swatches in the binder/project explorer would be super helpful. Would be great to see them in the Outline view as well.

I was comparing Scrivener to a Word pluggin called WritingOutliner. Although Scrivener still seems to be the better solution, the WritingOutliner people did a superb job color-coding the project explorer and Outline view. "Status" and "Labels" are color-coded in both areas. I also like the spaciousness of their Outline view layout and the colored icons that indicate whether it's a file or a folder, etc.

Makes it super easy (even downright pleasant) to quickly scroll through and see where attention is needed. Lots of info packed in there without feeling the least bit overwhelming.

Take a look at the uploaded screenshot. Some pretty good ideas.

(Sorry for breaking the page layout with my graphic)

Tim
Attachments
WritingOutliner-Status-and-Label-Colors.gif
Screenshot of WritingOutliner's outline view and color-coded status and label fields.
WritingOutliner-Status-and-Label-Colors.gif (69.62 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Last edited by timbur on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LAP

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:03 pm Post

Tim,

I have removed the graphic as it was simply too large. Beta 1.9 already offers the functionality you requested regarding the color coding in the outliner, corkboard and binder. Adding spacer and grid lines etc. is trivial.

Simply select: View>Use Color Label in..."

Thanks for the feedback.

Lee

Pe
Pellinore
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:02 pm Post

the ability to add web sites via the contextual menu.

is that already there?

if it is, I should report a bug.

if it isn't that would be an incredible feature.

:)
Pellinore
jolly day for a quest, tu sabes.

ti
timbur

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:39 am Post

LAP wrote:Tim,

I have removed the graphic as it was simply too large. Beta 1.9 already offers the functionality you requested regarding the color coding in the outliner, corkboard and binder. Adding spacer and grid lines etc. is trivial.

Simply select: View>Use Color Label in..."

Thanks for the feedback.

Lee

Lee,

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the new version.

Thanks,

Tim

ce
century

Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:32 am Post

Hey Lee, long time user first time poster, et cetera.

I've had the good(?) fortune of not actually running into any show stopping bugs throughout the months and when I have, I've found somebody else beat me to the punch, so my apologies for popping up out of the blue!

If this is 'pie in the sky' business, please disregard and I'll make a note of it later when we're actually wishlisting for real, but I wanted to bring it up as it is essentially resurrecting old 'buggy' behavior that I was especially fond of.

Namely, back around 1.2 or so, you adjusted it so that the fullscreen view appeared where the main application had focus instead of Display 1, which is logical behavior. Thing was (and is), I find being able to spread the application over two monitors to be amazingly cool. It's great being able to write on primary and root through research on secondary or vice versa, depending on my mood. You can recreate this behavior presently by making the application span displays with the majority on the side you want the fullscreen to appear, and then just dragging it out from behind the fullscreen onto the other display, which works, as kind of a kludge. The downside is if you ever pop out of fullscreen for any reason you have to do it over again to recreate the setup.

I guess, ideally, it'd be pretty cool if there was a dropdown in the options somewhere to select what display fullscreen mode set itself on. I've seen other applications be dynamically aware of # of displays, but I have no idea how feasible that is here or how much of a pain it'd be given that you're in crunch time. Honestly I should have mentioned it months ago but I've been neglectful of recent releases due to outside junk. :(

Beyond that, I guess I'll suck up while I'm here: Thank you so much. I've long hoped to see Scrivener on Windows but had essentially given up. I've been watching the progress of this and using the betas extensively, much to my continued delight. You're amazingly great with the community and your love for the project shows again and again. Can't wait for the full release and to see what the future brings.

be
belinus

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:01 am Post

Not sure if it is in there already, and it is possible with an XML export, but I would like to see an export to Adobe InDesign.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:32 pm Post

XML is not in yet at the interface level, but do read the credits in the about box, there is a section on how to install and use peg-multimarkdown, which can take a properly formatted Scrivener file and turn it into an XHTML file, which can be further processed to another XML format with an XML processing language. Integrating this with the interface is something on the to do list, so this method described in the credits is a temporary workflow for now.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles