1st FEB - LEE'S UPDATE

LAP
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 pm Post

Hi Beta Testers,

We are currently stumped with a memory issue with Windows. Interestingly, we can not reproduce the bug under Linux as frequently. The bottom line is we are going to need more time to fix this issue and utilize some Memory Error Detection tools to assist us. We are pretty sure the bug has to do with creating lists since we made changes to enable nested lists as well. This seems to have a side effect in the rtf writer; however, this may not be the case. As you'll note in the screen shot below, a nested list - this took six crashes under Windows to complete, under Linux zero? I created the same list yesterday under Windows without a single crash?
Lists.JPG
Lists.JPG (56.63 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

So, what does that mean for you. Well, we're in the process of compiling a full Linux beta 1.6 build which I will upload as soon as it's done and then edit this post with a download link. This has the full code. We are hoping, given that the bug seems less temperamental under Linux, that releasing this to geeky Linux types might assist us gain some insight into identifying and reliably reproducing this bug by following exact steps they might propose?

For Windows, we are stripping out the nested list changes and the fix that prevented loosing first line indenting and formatting - as the two are tied. What this should give us is a reasonably stable Windows build which we'll call Beta 1.56 (I know it's getting messy).

The upside of this approach is that all platforms will get many fixes and enhancements. Probably the ones that are likely to bring the most joy are dictionary fixes to learn and remember words, unlearn words, download foreign dictionaries, and the ability to customize the main toolbar and also the formatting tool bar so you can set up Scrivener however takes your fancy. The toolbar customization functionality is not drag and drop enabled currently, but it works well and allows complete control. See screen shot below:
toolbars.JPG
toolbars.JPG (50.59 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

Windows users who have MS Word installed will also be able to take advantage of the verydoc conversion tool within Scrivener and export their work as doc, docx, html, odt, many image formats, etc. Import using the same engine needs to wired up and has been put on the shelf until we can resolve these memory bug issues.

So, this is not how I imagined this release going - Murphy's law proved a certainty.

I will post more once the builds are uploaded.

Lee
1st Feb 2011, 10:15am +10EST

LAP

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 pm Post

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FOUND BUG - SO HAPPY I COULD CRY :)

FIXING NOW.

IGNORE PREVIOUS POST.

BETA 1.6 BUILDS FOR BOTH WINDOWS AND LINUX IMMINENT

LEE

Re
Rebeca

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm Post

I'm giving you a standing ovation. Great work! Love your stick-to-itness :D

Rebeca

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 pm Post

Niiice. :)

That's such a great feeling when you find a nasty bug, isn't it?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

vi
vientorose

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 pm Post

Oh wow, totally cool. Love it when things go right when you least expect it.

:)

an
andygrunt
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:02 am Post

LAP wrote:FOUND BUG - SO HAPPY I COULD CRY

Well someone hasn't been reading the draft forum rules on no caps lock :wink:

Seriously, brilliant news - thanks for your efforts. :D
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion

vi
vientorose

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 am Post

andygrunt wrote:Well someone hasn't been reading the draft forum rules on no caps lock :wink:

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken. Like when you're screaming at the top of your lungs. :)

Happy happy happy dance. One more errand, then I'm home and writing for the evening. Have an article due tonight.

Don't *need* Scrivener for it, but it'll be nice incentive if I make myself wait til after the article is done.

ra
rags

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 am Post

I was just carefully reading your explanation of all your problems . . . and then read the emotional one where you found the bug - bless you, I almost cried too!

But even if it turns out it's not yet fixed - it's still brilliant, ok.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:15 am Post

I was just reading what you were about to do, and thinking, ' good judgement' , and then that it was supported by a very reasonable bag of improvements achieved and to be released.

I am going to guess from the times of posting that you saw the issue as you were perhaps already starting to comment areas out -- or something else ;)

Regardless, very good news all around, and I bet you will have a nice evening, and then sleep well tonight.

Best in it,
Clive

in
inpariswithyou
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 am Post

LAP wrote:WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FOUND BUG - SO HAPPY I COULD CRY :)

FIXING NOW.

IGNORE PREVIOUS POST.

BETA 1.6 BUILDS FOR BOTH WINDOWS AND LINUX IMMINENT

LEE

Normally, I'd yell at your for being a CAPSMONSTER, but I think in this situation, the capslock is justified. It made lol, in any case.

Good job!

LAP

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:29 am Post

Okay, it's definitely fixed. Nested lists now work better than in Word in my totally biased opinion: bullets, numbered, roman numerals.

Packaging now.

Lee

LAP

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 am Post

LAP

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 am Post

Windows is up now:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/Scrivener-1.6-installer.exe

I need to update the bug fix list and a publish as well as post about the changes, but at least the code is up for download.

1.6 requires an uninstall of the previous version.

Lee

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 am Post

Yay! Linux one is half the size of the windows one. Correct?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

LAP

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 am Post

Garpu, was the expectation that Windows be as efficient in using resources as Linux and thus have a similar file size? :)I guess windows just has a little more bling shall we say; however, the Linux build is the correct size and works well.
Lee