12th DEC - LEE'S UPDATE

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:48 pm Post

Hi Lee,

Much agree that what's being created is something amazing - and by your bravery in having an open beta, we are all getting a taste and an effective tool, well before it is fully ready. This is very appreciated, and I use Scrivener for writing every day, appreciating the freedoms it opens. I just keep backups after each major point, and relax, especially because of the safety net for text you've provided in the way the backups and in fact the manuscript storage itself are conceived.

I think any of us who've had to do with depth creative development will fully understand how your work on the invisible core capabilities is completely worthwhile, and natural to be first priority. All the rest hangs on and benefits by this, after all.

Please do not 'beat yourself up' when a critical remark comes. This is a time when people write such things anyway, and with less good judgement, due to outside circumstances we all have.

My feeling as a long experienced interventionist consultant is that you are much on a right track, and that all of this is going to turn out very well.

Realism is the key for that, and not least because it keeps re-opening the spaces for being constructively imaginative.

Best, then, and support as you keep the balances, personal life and otherwise, from which the best dependably comes. Holiday wishes also, to you and yours.

Clive

LAP
Platform: Windows

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:22 pm Post

Thanks Clive.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 pm Post

Oh good lord. Who's complaining about a *beta* fer chrissakes? It's going to have bugs. It's going to crash, and work is going to be lost. That's why it's a beta. That this one is as solid as it is says a lot about the programming and work that went into it. :) Heck, I've been in game betas where the thing doesn't even install for 3-4 versions.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:09 pm Post

garpu wrote:Oh good lord. Who's complaining about a *beta* fer chrissakes? It's going to have bugs. It's going to crash, and work is going to be lost. That's why it's a beta. That this one is as solid as it is says a lot about the programming and work that went into it. :) Heck, I've been in game betas where the thing doesn't even install for 3-4 versions.

What she said. The fact I can do about 90% of what I want to in this program even in beta says a lot about the quality of the development of this software. In fact it has been so solid I have to remind myself that it is still only in beta when I come across little niggles. Annoyances yes but nothing that stops me getting the job done. Even when things do not wrong you provide a quick response and update us regularly. That means a lot and makes me feel valued as an end user as well as customer.

I've seen products reach final release with bigger bugs.

You are doing a great job Lee and I enjoy working in the program every day.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

mightygitis

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm Post

All I know is we are definitely progressing quickly towards a amazing finished product. With this update I'm finally able to compile and it keep the things I need. Meaning soon I will be able to print my manuscript with out having to switch to OpenOffice or Word for a long period of time to pull it off.

We are getting there. The people who don't understand what a Beta is should have read the first page more carefully before downloading. If I were meaner, I'd just go down the line and tell these people to "uninstall and come back in three months". :twisted:

Keep up the great work, Lee.
I am running Scrivener Beta 1.4 onWindows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 3 installed on a Acer Aspire One netbook computer. I am also running it on Windows Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop.

Check the Bug List before you post!

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:41 pm Post

It seems like there's a bit of a pile-on in progress towards a user who does understand what betas are, did in fact read the bug list, had particular expectations about certain behaviors being fixed, and is now expressing confusion. There's a lot of information to digest on these forums, and not everybody reads the same threads in the same order and has it all perfectly up-to-date. People have bugs, too. :)

This is not the same as not understanding the nature of beta software. I'm an old hat at testing software and if I saw in the release notes that problems with feature X were fixed and then I used feature X and there were more bugs, I'd be back on the forums asking for clarification myself. Note that the OP in fact asked if they were doing something wrong. I didn't read that post as attacking Lee or L&L or Scriv in any way...so I'm a little puzzled why the pile-on.

Deep breath, everyone. We're all in this together. Lee's doing an amazing job with this software and if there's the occasional issue with mis-matched expectations, gentle pointers to the appropriate discussions will help get everyone caught up.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

dj
djdoucement

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 am Post

Just adding my thanks, Lee!
djdoucement

in
indigo_room

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:50 pm Post

Thanks for all your hard work--it's a wonderful product and will only get better.

Don't fret about those negative twitter posts: Take your time, do things right, and everyone will benefit from a stable, robust piece of software.

I've been wanting Scrivener for Windows for several years. I am thrilled that the full release is just a few months away--and that I have this awesome beta to play with now.