Release it already

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:22 pm Post

Hmm. I think those are some sleepy looking kids. Don't you want to go to bed early tonight? Like, just after lunch? ;)

...and then stay there. Until reasonable hours tomorrow morning. Just this once?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ta
tasel

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 am Post

Ok, I should have this in max. 24 hours...

:D :D :D :D

Ma
Max
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:51 am Post

KB wrote:Sorry, what is this mythical "work day" of which you speak? :) I really can't say - it would be nice to get it out for teatime, but if I miss that deadline then it will be after the kids are in bed. (We're a work-from-hope-cos-we-can't-afford-an-office-type-bunch...) All I can say right now is that it will definitely be out tomorrow... sometime. :)
Best,
Keith

Argh! It's the 25th and it's 2.49am here, so release it already! :lol:

Just joking, letting out some steam of itching impatience here.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:00 am Post

I hope you guys are taking into consideration the fact that there are probably going to be hundreds of you trying to download it the moment the link is there ... Bandwidth? Download speeds? ... Those of you on dial-up not only won't have any finger-nails left, you won't have any fingers left to type with!

I'm really looking forward to Scrivener v2 for the Mac, but for that reason I'm going to hold myself in patience for a day or two to let the feeding-frenzy die down.

Scrivener is not just for a day, it's for a life, so waiting another day or so is no big deal. Mind you, of course, you poor Windows users dont have v. 1.54 to use in the meantime, so your extremes of anticipation are understandable.
:D
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:14 am Post

We already use Amazon's S3 to distribute the main DMG, so the traffic hit will be mostly on the HTML pages not the binary downloads. I don't think we are going to be crashing Amazon AWS any time soon. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:30 am Post

AmberV wrote:We already use Amazon's S3 to distribute the main DMG, so the traffic hit will be mostly on the HTML pages not the binary downloads. I don't think we are going to be crashing Amazon AWS any time soon. ;)

We found that a

Code: Select all

while (TRUE)
construct will make AWS pretty unhappy on a very large scale if you are using dynamic instantiation. Especially if the same moron removed the limits in AWS prior to the ultimate act of career ending WTF code.

Although AWS did detect and self limit pretty quick.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

StarTigress

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 am Post

Yes! Release it realease it realease it! *jumps up and down excitedly* :mrgreen:

I've been lurking here ever since the initial announcement, heh. :)

(But actually I totally understand about programming and deadlines and last second issues...I'm an astronomer by trade but I fool around with the programming enough as part of that whole shebang that I can very much relate.)

In any event, this beats being outbid on Macs on ebay. :D
I <3 Scrivener for Windows Beta. Thanks to everybody who helped create it!!!

"A pen went scribbling along and when it tried to write love, it broke...." ~Rumi

ta
tasel

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 am Post

Already the 26th where I am... 9.34 in the morning.

Luckily for you, I have to work Monday to Friday, and will be attending a writing-related talk this evening... so the earliest I could play around with Scrivener would probably be very late tonight anyway. But I am already counting the minutes... :D :D :D

ge
geoffh

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:52 am Post

tasel wrote:Already the 26th where I am... 9.34 in the morning.

Where would that be? Im checking a world time map right now, and even in Tahiti its still only 10.50pm on the 25th. :)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 am Post

Are you on a boat, floating around the date line trying to score an early copy?!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ta
tasel

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 am Post

geoffh wrote:
tasel wrote:Already the 26th where I am... 9.34 in the morning.

Where would that be? Im checking a world time map right now, and even in Tahiti its still only 10.50pm on the 25th. :)

Waaaaah!! Shoot... typo. It's only the 25th where I am!!! Though I am on an island, but probably not as sunny and nice as Tahiti.

As I look out of the window, I can't help but think - that somewhere out there in this cold (though currently surprisingly sunny) island, KB is waiting to post the link...

bp
bpressler

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 am Post

Yup, yup, here in germany we (...well ... at least I) am also waiting eagerly. I am so excited to finally be able to try this wonderful piece of software!

Release! Release! Releaseeee!! XD

Well.. actually to be honest, I guess, since I've waited for two years already (which was when I first read about scrivener) ... I can wait a few more hours. Or even days if need be. I work for a software company myself and know quite a bit about release dates ... ;)

an
anatolica

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 am Post

Whoaa! The day came at last; after years of waiting, looking for alternatives, lobbying for Scrivener for Windows elsewhere in the net, and trying to save money to buy a Mac for Scrivener, the day is the day we'll have Scrivener for Windows :D
While waiting eagerly for it, I just want to thank again to all the developers and the user community of Scrivener.. Thanks and congratulations guys&gals, really :D

Re
Rebeca

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:58 am Post

KB wrote:Sorry, what is this mythical "work day" of which you speak? :) I really can't say - it would be nice to get it out for teatime, but if I miss that deadline then it will be after the kids are in bed. (We're a work-from-hope-cos-we-can't-afford-an-office-type-bunch...) All I can say right now is that it will definitely be out tomorrow... sometime. :)
Best,
Keith

The same mythical day I work. I'm a freelance writer, and when I wrote that I was taking a break from writing an article. So, I know what you mean. But I can dream, right?

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 am Post

KB wrote:ll I can say right now is that it will definitely be out tomorrow... sometime.
Best,
Nothing changes!! This is the same old twaddle we Macheads have been force fed for years. :( I`ve been waiting since Scriv. 1.0 for a` 'Dummies` Guide to 1.0s Tutorial. Still waiting! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.