WinScri - Checking Daily?

ki
kippras

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:15 am Post

Still waiting... :) Can't it be released at 12:01am on 10/25? ;)

Be
BethCutter
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:56 am Post

Does anyone know how large the download will be? I'm still on dialup at home, so if it's too large I'll need to make arrangements with a friend.

olorinpc

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 am Post

BethCutter wrote:Does anyone know how large the download will be? I'm still on dialup at home, so if it's too large I'll need to make arrangements with a friend.

H BethCutter. If I recall correctly KB or AmberV mentioned that uncompressed the app being the app being tested was somewhere around 30mb, so to anticipate something in the range of the current (mac) 14-15mb installer.

So may take a little bit on dialup, but I would think fairly reasonable.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

Be
BethCutter

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:51 am Post

olorinpc wrote:H BethCutter. If I recall correctly KB or AmberV mentioned that uncompressed the app being the app being tested was somewhere around 30mb, so to anticipate something in the range of the current (mac) 14-15mb installer.

So may take a little bit on dialup, but I would think fairly reasonable.

Thanks for the fast answer! Yes, that doesn't sound at all bad, maybe 80 minutes. I was fearing something in the 50 to 100 meg range.

Non-related question: I've been reading the manual and the mention of using templates developed by others intrigues me. Will the Windows program be able to use templates developed on the Mac version?

olorinpc

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:28 pm Post

BethCutter wrote:Non-related question: I've been reading the manual and the mention of using templates developed by others intrigues me. Will the Windows program be able to use templates developed on the Mac version?

All this is the obsessively excited and waiting thread, so I don't know if anything is really "unrelated" :wink:

I might get corrected if I am wrong, but I believe it will be able to use "mac" created template. All templates really are is some preset folders, files, etc depending on how much is there. I believe these are fully portable between the OS versions because it has been said you can move projects back and forth between versions. So what is a template but a project without text? So should work just fine.

(Example found an old one ion the forums called the Hero's Journey Template that I want to test.)

Hope that helps! Almost time!
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

bk
bklynwriter

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:01 pm Post

I'm counting down the hours!

Seriously, I wonder what time the download will be available. I will have to go to Panera at lunch with my netbook and use their wi-fi....

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:09 pm Post

The download should be available sometime tomorrow evening UK-time (early afternoon-ish if you're in the US). Lee is delivering the build late tomorrow morning sometime and I still have to put the page together and all sorts of other small things, and the weekend has been work, work, work as it is. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

La
Lant

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:01 pm Post

KB wrote:The download should be available sometime tomorrow evening UK-time (early afternoon-ish if you're in the US). Lee is delivering the build late tomorrow morning sometime and I still have to put the page together and all sorts of other small things, and the weekend has been work, work, work as it is. :)

Thanks for your efforts to get it out, very appreciated.
Which is my way of saying I'm checking the forums at 4am on the 25th Australian time... I can wait one...more...day...

StarTigress

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 am Post

AmberV wrote:Oh yes! The new default is rounded corners with a bit of a "piece of tape" or what have you in the upper-right corner, but you can go into preferences and get the good old 3x5 square cards with plastic push-pins if you want.

YAY! I was wondering this VERY same thing and defintely felt too silly to ask :mrgreen:
I <3 Scrivener for Windows Beta. Thanks to everybody who helped create it!!!

"A pen went scribbling along and when it tried to write love, it broke...." ~Rumi

th
theJBP

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 am Post

Hello All

Just a quick question as I sit here mulling over the imminent arrival of the wonderful Scrivener:

As this is a Beta and will therefore have a few bugs - and potentially might even crash on occasion - how does one save work? From memory the Mac version does not have a "save" feature as such as your work is saved automatically (I could be wrong on this point, if I am I apologise) but is there a way of backing up your projects in order to protect them from a crash?

I have a heck of a lot of other questions but part of the joy of a new programme is playing around with it and picking things up for yourself. And besides, I don't want to be the guy who distracts the developers from their hard work with a barrage of questions and thus delays the release of the Beta!

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:34 am Post

The Mac version does have a "Save", which is a force-save that is important for those who, for whatever reason, have set a long interval between automatic saves. More importantly, there is "Back-up project to" which allows you to save a back-up version to another location, with a zipped option, which is important if you are saving to a cloud drive like Dropbox. This latter is being improved in v.2.

I'm sure the Windows version will have the same, though I don't know whether the "Back-up project to" will be v.1 or v.2 style.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 am Post

Yup, the initial Windows beta release will have both a force save and a "back up project to" function.

Please use both liberally.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

de
derkerl

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:03 am Post

Hi,

I have since the 7th Coffee already drunk and no more nails - when I can finally press the download button?

I'm looking forward because I am passionate about the Mac version of a friend very much. Continued success and a great day all

Olaf, derKerl

(Hallo Leute, ich habe inzwischen den 7. Kaffee heute schon getrunken und keine Fingernägel mehr - wann darf ich endlich den Download-Knopf drücken? Ich freue mich schon, da ich von der Mac-Version eines Freundes sehr begeistert bin. Weiterhin viele Erfolge und einen schönen tag allen)
Have a nice day

Olaf derKerl

Skype (battlestar001)

rowanfae

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 am Post

I'm very excited! This thread has been very helpful, since I don't actually know someone who has Scrivener on their Mac--I just came across it as a screen-play-writing program option for the first year I did Screnzy, and sadly wandered off when I saw that it was for Mac only. So some of the questions here wouldn't have occurred to me--so thanks for asking them, people!

Also, I'm getting out of work around 3pm today, and I live in Western US, so I'm coming home and downloading! Yay!
Using:
Scrivener Beta 0.2.4

System:
Windows 7 Starter on a Gateway netbook
Intel Atom Processor N270 1.60Ghz
32 bit OS with 1.00 GB RAM

Re
Rebeca

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 am Post

A question: Although I suspect most of us will be compulsively checking the site, forums, Facebook, and twitter, will you be emailing people who signed up for information on the Windows version to let them know it's ready for download?