Scrivener for Windows...

Ti
Tirjasdyn

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:11 am Post

I'm planning to check out the beta for NaNo. I've played with Scrivener before but it didn't really work how I would. I figure this is a good time to try it again on with the computers I use regularly. Right now I use yWriter, which I'm pretty happy with but I like checking out new writing software.

ta
tasel

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:55 am Post

Gosh... I can't wait any longer. Is it still the 25th when the beta is meant to be released?

What are the vital differences between the Windows and the Mac versions? I was all about to buy a Mac next year, but this may convince me to stay with a PC...

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:07 pm Post

tasel wrote: I was all about to buy a Mac next year, but this may convince me to stay with a PC...

Aww man...

You still might want to look into going the mac route for a few reasons none of which I will mention here as folks seem to get a bit testy when one tries to provide an explanation. If you (or anyone else) want to know some of the non-OS-political advantages to going Mac let me know via PM
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:17 pm Post

Operating systems aside, the 2.0 version of Scrivener is by virtue of being a version 2 product, ahead of the Windows version in features. But, Windows is not standing still. Primary goal over this following year is getting Windows up to 2.0 status---so sticking with your preferred or existing platform will not, in the long run, harm you. People have been using and publishing works with Scrivener 1.0 tech for years. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

an
annhite
Platform: Windows

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:10 pm Post

Wow! That's all I can say. I never thought I'd use a writing software. I'm now trying out the Windows Beta version and have fell in love. This will make my life so much easier. Thank you. I can't wait to get my permanent version.

Ann

Ann Hite
Ghost On Black Mountain
Gallery Books (imprint of Simon & Schuster)
available Fall of 2011
www.annhite.com

DMJ

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:24 pm Post

Thank you Ann! Glad that you are enjoying Scrivener for Windows. We'll get that permanent version ready for you early next year. Freshly polished, with more features and less bugs. :D

All the best,
David

tn
tnntwister

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:10 pm Post

after a few years in the mac world, most of the software that made me dream yesterday have lost their light, except for Scrivener, i was considering of losing it anyway in returning to the windows world, when i've learned a windows version would be available !!!

I've not much time to test it for now, but i can't manage to open my mac scrivener documents... so here's my big question : will the scrivener mac files will be openable by the window version ?

Thanks for this portage anyway, it's a must have !!!

kd
kdbertel

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am Post

Scrivener for Windows can open documents made with Scrivener for Mac version 2.0, which is also currently in beta.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 am Post

Actually, it's no longer in beta, but otherwise, yes. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

kd
kdbertel

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 am Post

Well, it's not in full release yet, so I guess that makes it what, gamma? :D

tn
tnntwister

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 am Post

so i must buy scrivener 2 for mac to use my docs on scrivener Windows ? i think i will recreate the docs, cheaper solution :)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 pm Post

The 1.x Mac version used some Mac-only file formats which is why the Windows version cannot open 1.x .scriv files. We spent a lot of time redesigning the format so that it would work for both platforms.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

pe
pencildancer

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:14 pm Post

This is the most amazing and easy to learn writing program I have used. I cannot wait to get the official program. Will the beta truly become non working Dec. 12? I'm willing to buy it in the beta format just so I can continue using it. Thanks for helping us in window world.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:26 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
tasel wrote:You still might want to look into going the mac route for a few reasons none of which I will mention here as folks seem to get a bit testy when one tries to provide an explanation.

I'm a misanthrope when it comes to computers. PC, Mac, Indigo. Doesn't matter. All computers suck. All operating systems suck. It's just a matter of which type of suck I want to deal with personally. ;)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

kd
kdbertel

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:39 pm Post

garpu wrote:I'm a misanthrope when it comes to computers.

You're a person who hates people when it comes to computers? ;)

(Remember, "misanthrope" comes from the Greek words "miso" and "anthropos", which are "hate" and "man (person)", respectively...)