Cost of Windows 3 version

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm Post

kootes wrote:Backups is exactly the reason why I don't want to use a software that's in beta.

That makes sense for something where the development is in its infancy, and the format is locked, and the focus of development is on basic features.

Since you can look at the beta forum here, you know development is not in its infancy, and focus on development is on peripheral features like compile, and the format is not changing.

And in addition, the Scrivener project format is completely open, and in the very worst case, you can read the files with a text editor.

So no, that is not a reason not to use *this* software that's in beta.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

pigfender

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 pm Post

I don’t know... I’m pretty happy for people to use any reason they want for deciding not to take part in a beta trial. Not every pickle works in every sandwich.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

ko
kootes
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:14 am Post

theswede wrote:
kootes wrote:Backups is exactly the reason why I don't want to use a software that's in beta.

That makes sense for something where the development is in its infancy, and the format is locked, and the focus of development is on basic features.

Since you can look at the beta forum here, you know development is not in its infancy, and focus on development is on peripheral features like compile, and the format is not changing.

And in addition, the Scrivener project format is completely open, and in the very worst case, you can read the files with a text editor.

So no, that is not a reason not to use *this* software that's in beta.

This is exactly what I meant in my original message. It's like a sect defending their believes in here. You do not even try to understand seeing the other point of view, you're just evaluating the unbeliever thoughts.

How paranoid I choose to be with a version that's not in its infancy but has been stuck in beta for years is up to me. Same with how much time and effort I want to put into figuring out the percentage of a chance that a new version might mess something up. I'm not a developer but I've worked in the gaming industry with early versions, so I think it's very unlikely that an update could mess anything up to the level where I personally would not be able to recover from it. But I don't think it's literally impossible and I don't think want to start evaluating how much time I might or might not have to put into this if it happens. So I choose to not jump fully into the beta version yet, even though you've just conclusively informed me that I feel incorrect about this.

Funnily enough I do think I'm technologically even a lot more capable than an average Scrivener user would be, so I could argue that for someone who just wants a writing software the jump could be even scarier (for some it would be less scary, because they don't even know what kinds of things could go wrong).

Anyway, I'll have to backtrack to my original comment where I thought I kinda understand both parties in this. Based on the responses it is becoming more and more clear to me that I don't. This defensive attitude reaches levels that are just mind-boggling to me. While I originally thought some of the regulars here just didn't really understand why people wouldn't use the beta, it now seems more like they don't even try to understand that people feel differently about things. The whole point seems to be to prove how the people who don't want to jump into using the beta are simply wrong, and that's something I can honestly say I don't understand. Guess it's a form of fandom or something? I don't know, and I'll take my leave anyway.

theswede

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:53 am Post

kootes wrote:This is exactly what I meant in my original message. It's like a sect defending their believes in here. You do not even try to understand seeing the other point of view, you're just evaluating the unbeliever thoughts.

By "point of view" you mean "emotional response", and you are incorrect. My comment was intended to directly address that emotional response.

That I do not agree with your response does not mean I have not understood it.

kootes wrote:How paranoid I choose to be with a version that's not in its infancy but has been stuck in beta for years is up to me.

Of course it is. And how silly I consider that paranoia, after examining where it's coming from, is up to me.

kootes wrote:Anyway, I'll have to backtrack to my original comment where I thought I kinda understand both parties in this. Based on the responses it is becoming more and more clear to me that I don't.

That appears to be because you do not try.

kootes wrote:It now seems more like they don't even try to understand that people feel differently about things.

You unironically write this as a response to a comment which directly addresses the cause of the feeling you expressed having. I can't even.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

Fe
Festus

Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20 pm Post

I appreciate what kootes posted, and it's a nice corrective to the polarized discussion. Probably there are a lot of us out there who are neither content/complacent nor outraged/disloyal.

Anyway, the post was a lot more useful than being informed about what one always gets when buying software -- it's not a novel experience for most of us, though personally, I found the terms of this license, and its subsequent execution, unusual if well-intentioned. Or being told that time would be better spent writing -- many thanks for that observation. This works equally well for replying, it turns out, but perhaps my perspective will change after a few hundred posts.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 pm Post

Writing tools are a very personal choice. The official position of Literature & Latte is that we encourage all writers to use whatever tools best facilitate their writing, even if that means using tools other than Scrivener. We welcome and appreciate people who participate in the Windows Scrivener 3 beta test, but certainly don't believe those people are smarter, better writers, or otherwise superior to people who prefer not to.

We therefore would appreciate it if people who are participating in the beta test would refrain from verbally bludgeoning those who are not.

On the underlying question, we fully intend to continue to support all released versions of Scrivener for Windows indefinitely.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

QV
QVC

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:42 pm Post

Don't worry about the price. Concern yourself only with value. It is true that you can use only a small part of Scrivener to do the job you want to do. As you learn more features, you will find them useful.

The major downside is Compile. Whilst it tries to cover all the bases and is highly flexible, the explanations of how is it is used seem esoteric i.e. once you've mastered them, they make sense, but before that they're just a bundle of confusion.

So, back to pricing: just buy it. You won't regret it. Use it. Use it. Use it.

The only software that is expensive is the software you don't use.