Is Scrivener for PC worth it?

ha
harydeany94
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:19 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm Post

After winning NaNoWriMo , I've kept the 50% discount code pocketed until I decided to use it. I've heard people say a lot of good things about the program, but after a little bit of research and some personal experiences, I've heard that the PC version is nowhere near up to par with Mac. I only have a PC, so is it worth me buying it?

Ze
Zetawilk
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:26 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:33 pm Post

Scrivener is amazing for organizing your projects into multiple levels, and breaking them up into as many pieces as you need. It may not do much for composition, but you can get the most important stuff underway with this software.

However.

I would not condone paying $50 for it. I wouldn't even condone paying $25 for it on sale or discount. For utility software, that price is absurd. Also keep in mind that they haven't yet updated the Windows version to Scrivener 3, which has been promised to be in the works for a while. There isn't even a peep of an Android or Kindle Fire release. In the long history of the Internet, software has time and time again followed this pattern only to fall by the wayside, neglected and forgotten, the commitment and integrity lost. In a world where people demand money before work through avenues like Patreon and Kickstarter, this trend is only going to worsen.

You would do better to peruse AlternativeTo.net for software that can accomplish a similar function that has better support and attention paid to it by its developers. Keep in mind where your hard-earned money has come from and remember all the other expenses already paid for electricity, a computer, and the Internet to even get to the point to consider their software.

User avatar
drmajorbob
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:41 pm Post

harydeany94 wrote:After winning NaNoWriMo , I've kept the 50% discount code pocketed until I decided to use it. I've heard people say a lot of good things about the program, but after a little bit of research and some personal experiences, I've heard that the PC version is nowhere near up to par with Mac. I only have a PC, so is it worth me buying it?


Did you use iOS Scrivener for NaNoWriMo? If so, the PC version is much more powerful than that.

The Mac version (3.2.2) is more powerful than 1.9 (the current Windows release) — 2 major version upgrades more powerful. Still, if you're a Windows user in general, users tend to think 1.9 is better than anything else they can buy.

Another option is the Windows beta for v3. It costs nothing until the full release, is much more powerful than 1.9, and generally compares to the Mac version. It has a few bugs to be ironed out, and there may always be cosmetic advantages on the Mac, but many users say they're happy with the beta for now.
Last edited by drmajorbob on Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

User avatar
drmajorbob
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:57 pm Post

Zetawilk wrote:Scrivener is amazing for organizing your projects into multiple levels, and breaking them up into as many pieces as you need. It may not do much for composition, but you can get the most important stuff underway with this software.

However.

I would not condone paying $50 for it. I wouldn't even condone paying $25 for it on sale or discount. For utility software, that price is absurd. Also keep in mind that they haven't yet updated the Windows version to Scrivener 3, which has been promised to be in the works for a while. There isn't even a peep of an Android or Kindle Fire release. In the long history of the Internet, software has time and time again followed this pattern only to fall by the wayside, neglected and forgotten, the commitment and integrity lost. In a world where people demand money before work through avenues like Patreon and Kickstarter, this trend is only going to worsen.

You would do better to peruse AlternativeTo.net for software that can accomplish a similar function that has better support and attention paid to it by its developers. Keep in mind where your hard-earned money has come from and remember all the other expenses already paid for electricity, a computer, and the Internet to even get to the point to consider their software.


Utility software? But also amazing?

I'll just link to a couple of Notions demonstrating things Scrivener can do, but Word cannot.

https://www.notion.so/deepspacecorps/Chapter-Headings-b596fb4c7e514042801ea85c06b209a8

and, from the same content, a very different export:

https://www.notion.so/deepspacecorps/Compiling-a-Synopsis-Epigraph-Report-6163f4183bb1427a981053a17ee656de

Word cost over $300 back in the day (when Microsoft still improved it occasionally).

Today it's $139.99, over 3 times the price of Scrivener.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

User avatar
rdale
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:24 pm Post

harydeany94 wrote:After winning NaNoWriMo , I've kept the 50% discount code pocketed until I decided to use it. I've heard people say a lot of good things about the program, but after a little bit of research and some personal experiences, I've heard that the PC version is nowhere near up to par with Mac. I only have a PC, so is it worth me buying it?

Have you used it? If not, download the trial (it just has a "buy me" prompt window when you launch, and isn't usable past the 30 days-of-use duration), and try it out. If you don't like it, just compile/export your work to whatever writing program you're currently using.

That's the only way to be sure if it's going to be worth it to you. Also of note; once v3 comes out (they're skipping a release number), you can upgrade from version 1 for free at this point. Major upgrade versions usually cost between 50 and 60% of the un-discounted version.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272
Contact:

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:51 pm Post

drmajorbob wrote:The Mac version (3.2.2) is more powerful than 1.9 (the current Windows release) — 2 major version upgrades more powerful.


That's not exactly true. Scrivener for Windows 1.0 was a mix of functionality that was present in Scrivener 1.x and 2.x for Mac, so 1.9.16 is more like Scrivener 2.5ish for the Mac. But the main point stands -- it's a perfectly good application as it stands, and a lot of people rely on it daily to get their writing work done.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Tr
Tribalrose
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:10 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:23 pm Post

Honest to Pete, am I the only one? I'm a writer. Even if my writing were a hobby, which it isn't, I spend money as necessary to enjoy my hobbies, and for something that brings in needed income, you bet I spend money to make it better or easier. I don't consider myself profligate either. Vellum, Trackerbox, VPN, backup solutions. Scrivener is a bargain.

As to the OP - download the latest Scrivener 3 for Windows beta and you have a free trial of the software. It's good till the end of the month, at which point you'll probably know that you like the program enough to keep updating the beta until it's available to purchase or that it's not for you. Don't let the penny-wise and pound-foolish influence you.

User avatar
drmajorbob
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:31 am Post

devinganger wrote:
drmajorbob wrote:The Mac version (3.2.2) is more powerful than 1.9 (the current Windows release) — 2 major version upgrades more powerful.


That's not exactly true. Scrivener for Windows 1.0 was a mix of functionality that was present in Scrivener 1.x and 2.x for Mac, so 1.9.16 is more like Scrivener 2.5ish for the Mac. But the main point stands -- it's a perfectly good application as it stands, and a lot of people rely on it daily to get their writing work done.


Yes, it's an awesome app. Not as awesome as version 3, but yes. Awesome.

It doesn't have the two major add-ons of version 3, though:

1) named section types (no more fiddling with Binder levels, document types) and
2) Word-equivalent styles that export as Word styles.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272
Contact:

Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:43 am Post

Tribalrose wrote:Scrivener is a bargain.


You are by no means the only one who feels this way. $45 for a fully featured application that handles research and writing, especially with a free upgrade to the new release thrown in?
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Ze
Zetawilk
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:26 pm
Platform: Windows

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:18 am Post

Tell you what--you're welcome to buy me a copy.

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272
Contact:

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:28 am Post

Zetawilk wrote:Tell you what--you're welcome to buy me a copy.


Why would I do that? You've made it clear you don't like it.

If you'd tried it for the trial period and loved it but couldn't afford it, that's a different story. But you have a total of two posts here, one of which is claim that Scrivener's price is somehow a rip-off, and the other to demand that someone pay for a copy for you when a bunch of us point out that your allegations are sus AF.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

User avatar
Orpheus
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Lost in the material world.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:32 am Post

devinganger wrote:
Tribalrose wrote:Scrivener is a bargain.


You are by no means the only one who feels this way. $45 for a fully featured application that handles research and writing, especially with a free upgrade to the new release thrown in?



It would be a bargain at 3X the price.
"Never was there a time when I [Krsna] did not exist, nor you, nor all these
kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.” Bhagavad-gita
2.12

User avatar
drmajorbob
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:25 am Post

devinganger wrote:
Zetawilk wrote:Tell you what--you're welcome to buy me a copy.


Why would I do that? You've made it clear you don't like it.

If you'd tried it for the trial period and loved it but couldn't afford it, that's a different story. But you have a total of two posts here, one of which is claim that Scrivener's price is somehow a rip-off, and the other to demand that someone pay for a copy for you when a bunch of us point out that your allegations are sus AF.


Pithy!
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

Ca
CarlM
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:30 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Exeter

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:37 am Post

Hmmmm! Is there a Troll on the Forum? They joined on the 1st Feb, Two posts on the 2nd Feb and nothing since? Interesting :)

Tw
Twolane
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:39 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:51 am Post

Keep in mind where your hard-earned money has come from and remember all the other expenses already paid for electricity, a computer, and the Internet to even get to the point to consider their software.

That 50 bucks a year that Ulysses demands for the privilege of using it comes to mind immediately. Now there's a real bargoon.

Also, you forgot grub and likker.