Is Scrivener for PC worth it?

Gf
GfK
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:09 pm Post

Zetawilk wrote:Scrivener is amazing for organizing your projects into multiple levels, and breaking them up into as many pieces as you need. It may not do much for composition, but you can get the most important stuff underway with this software.

However.

I would not condone paying $50 for it. I wouldn't even condone paying $25 for it on sale or discount. For utility software, that price is absurd. Also keep in mind that they haven't yet updated the Windows version to Scrivener 3

So... let me get this straight; Scrivener is amazing, it's not worth $25, yet you still have the audacity to complain that Windows version 3 hasn't been released yet (despite there being new FREE beta builds every couple of weeks).

How exactly do you think software development is funded? Having worked in software development myself for the thick end of four decades, I can assure you that it's both a) time-consuming and b) expensive. A job made even more difficult by people like you who wrongly believe we should be doing it for free. Do YOU work for free? Or do you expect a wage at the end of the week?

I really cannot begin to comprehend which moon of Jupiter you live on if you think Scrivener is both amazing, yet NOT worth $25.

Be
BeanSidhe
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:22 pm Post

I have never posted on this forum, but I have been a long time lurker. My first experience with Scrivener was the PC trial version during 2015's NaNoWriMo. I will admit, I spent a great deal of time confused about how to use it to organize my work and used it primarily as a word processor mainly due to the fact that I don't like writing in Word. Luckily for me, I won NaNo and received a code for 50% off and decided to purchase the program. I then spent time learning what I needed to know to make the program work for me. Which is where I think many of the complainers regarding Scrivener's cost make mistakes, in my opinion.

Since 2015, I have used Scrivener 1.9 to write four novels, various short stories, a thesis project for my MFA in Writing, and now I've moved from Scrivener 1.9 to both Scriveners for Mac and the iPad. I've tried the beta for PC, and it was awesome, but I changed to Mac for personal reasons that have nothing to do with Scrivener. Do I recommend Scrivener to every author who asks about the best writing programs...definitely. Do I sympathize with those who feel they've been waiting too long for the PC version of Scrivener 3...meh, the beta is awesome and I think (translation: hope) it will be available soonish. What I cannot sympathize with are those who think the price point is too high when other programs expect yearly and/or monthly fees when Scrivener is a one-time cost with a fairly decent chance for a 50% off code if you participate in things like the NaNo events. To me that makes no sense. Before any of you jump on me and try to tell me Ulysses and others are so wonderful and all I need to do is try them; I have and they aren't better than the overall functionality and organizational capability of Scrivener, especially for large multi-book projects. Again, that's just my two cents, take it or leave it.

User avatar
Arkendight
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:36 pm
Platform: Windows

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 pm Post

BeanSidhe wrote:I have never posted on this forum, but I have been a long time lurker.
<...>
Again, that's just my two cents, take it or leave it.


Thank you for posting, Your opinion comes at an opportune time for me. I'm currently deciding between various software.
What were the biggest advantages of using beta over version 1+ for you?
Have your experience changed much after switching to MAC?

User avatar
drmajorbob
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:49 am Post

Arkendight wrote:
BeanSidhe wrote:I have never posted on this forum, but I have been a long time lurker.
<...>
Again, that's just my two cents, take it or leave it.


Thank you for posting, Your opinion comes at an opportune time for me. I'm currently deciding between various software.
What were the biggest advantages of using beta over version 1+ for you?
Have your experience changed much after switching to MAC?


1) Scrivener 3 has styles (not just presets), and they export to Word as styles.

2) v3 has named section types, not the old structure-based Compile.

My chapters include 5 kinds of documents. Their section types are "epigraph" for what it sounds like (centered), "setting" for a document with(place, time in the title (centered and bold), "first scene" (no indent, first 5 words small caps), "scene with prefix" (stars at the top for separation), and "scene no prefix" (no visible separation or distinguishing marks).

In Scrivener 3, that's 5 documents or more at the same level, doesn't matter if they're folders or files.

In Scrivener 1, it would be a total mess. Big difference.

3-∞) Too many to mention.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

User avatar
Arkendight
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:36 pm
Platform: Windows

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:13 pm Post

drmajorbob wrote:
1) Scrivener 3 has styles (not just presets), and they export to Word as styles.

2) v3 has named section types, not the old structure-based Compile.

My chapters include 5 kinds of documents. Their section types are "epigraph" for what it sounds like (centered), "setting" for a document with(place, time in the title (centered and bold), "first scene" (no indent, first 5 words small caps), "scene with prefix" (stars at the top for separation), and "scene no prefix" (no visible separation or distinguishing marks).

In Scrivener 3, that's 5 documents or more at the same level, doesn't matter if they're folders or files.

In Scrivener 1, it would be a total mess. Big difference.

3-∞) Too many to mention.


Sounds like I should be praying for S3 to come out on PC soon.
Thank you clearing it out for me.
I'm on the fence about buying, but it's growing on me

Be
BeanSidhe
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:43 pm Post

Arkendight wrote:
Sounds like I should be praying for S3 to come out on PC soon.
Thank you clearing it out for me.
I'm on the fence about buying, but it's growing on me


Everything drmajorbob said are the biggest changes I've noticed. Also, the fact that I can write on my iPad with minimal issues is a great thing for me as it fits in my purse and is much more portable than a laptop for sudden bursts of insight or note taking when I'm out and about rather than using a note taking program and having to remember to add it to my project later which I'm horrible at (Fibro fog is very real). The PC version is very functional as is, but the beta version is better. I love the Mac version, but I wouldn't have switched if I hadn't already been switching to Mac for a different reason. Scrivener worked for me the way it was and would have continued to work in the future.

If you're truly on the fence, I suggest trying the beta and playing around with it. First, it's free until Scrivener 3 for PC goes live and you'll be able to familiarize yourself with the program and help find bugs which makes the program better for everyone. Second, you'll be able to see what works for you and what doesn't. It can't hurt to try, right?

KC
KCB
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:36 pm Post

The cost of Scrivener for PC is not $49. That's the price L&L charges. In my opinion, that would be a great deal for it's advertised capabilities.

But the cost of Scrivener is primarily in the time users invest in learning to use the tool. Even at minimum wage, you're going to spend a lot more than $49 in the value of your time to figure out how to efficiently use it. This is not a complaint about Scrivener; that's going to be true of any sophisticated editing tool.

The real question an interested user should ask, in my opinion, is whether Scrivener for PC is worth the time investment. And that depends somewhat on the level of support the vendor will provide in the future.

Personally, given the history with getting Scrivener 3 for Windows to a stable state, I think there is legitimate concern if the time investment will be paid off with robust support going forward. I rarely buy software for its capabilities "as is". It always depends on some expectation of future enhancements, bug fixes, security patches, et cetera.

Tw
Twolane
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:39 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:49 pm Post

So, basically, you won't be buying the product. Fair enough. Whatcha using instead?

Ru
RuffPub
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:14 pm Post

KCB wrote:But the cost of Scrivener is primarily in the time users invest in learning to use the tool. Even at minimum wage, you're going to spend a lot more than $49 in the value of your time to figure out how to efficiently use it. This is not a complaint about Scrivener; that's going to be true of any sophisticated editing tool.

The real question an interested user should ask, in my opinion, is whether Scrivener for PC is worth the time investment. And that depends somewhat on the level of support the vendor will provide in the future.

Personally, given the history with getting Scrivener 3 for Windows to a stable state, I think there is legitimate concern if the time investment will be paid off with robust support going forward. I rarely buy software for its capabilities "as is". It always depends on some expectation of future enhancements, bug fixes, security patches, et cetera.


1. Having spent a number of years with Scrivener Mac and V3 beta, my ‘time investment’ is more than covered. Even just the time spent on the beta means when it is finally released I have no further ‘time investment’ needed to be productive... I’ve written two books during that beta ‘investment’. Any alternative would be a start from scratch with potentially lengthy reduced productivity period. Okay, someone coming in as a virgin user is going to have to invest time in learning, but same applies to any potential alternative.

2. Given the significant investment in time by the two developers, plus support from their tech support team in getting V3 to RC19, how could you possibly argue any concern for robust support going forward? ‘Ok guys, you’ve just spent 3 years plus developing V3 Win and getting it to a solid release, now go twiddle your thumbs until we find something else for you to do... oh, and you support team staff, forget about your Win 3 knowledge and only provide robust support for the Mac version....’ See how dumb that suggestion really is?

ar
aronwhite95
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:09 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 pm Post

oh yes, it is, every penny of it. No question about it. I have compared to other similar apps, and this is just so user friendly and intuitive to use

User avatar
VagabondFrog
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 am
Platform: Windows
Location: France
Contact:

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:39 am Post

KCB wrote:But the cost of Scrivener is primarily in the time users invest in learning to use the tool. Even at minimum wage, you're going to spend a lot more than $49 in the value of your time to figure out how to efficiently use it. This is not a complaint about Scrivener; that's going to be true of any sophisticated editing tool.

The real question an interested user should ask, in my opinion, is whether Scrivener for PC is worth the time investment. And that depends somewhat on the level of support the vendor will provide in the future.


Seems like you're nitpicking a bit.

I run on the beta since 2 weeks now, I've just put 4 days to get used to the software, that's nothing (and I'm the type of guy that review and customize thoroughly every option possible when I try a new software), Scrivener is not so hard to get used to compared to other kind of softwares (try Adobe Illustrator, 3D graphic softwares, game making : these take literally weeks or even months to master them).

For the time it liberates to handle projects, this software does its job. It's a choice to make : the time you will lose learning it, you will gain it afterwards managing your projects. I used to write short stories in LibreOffice but the moment I had to manage longer stories with lore and stuff it was a no brainer for me, and I've tried other writing softwares, they made me lose my time.

Plus nowadays it seems like everybody's doing web based applications. It sucks, give me a full offline software, not a browser window to write in, goddammit.

User avatar
Camy
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Wales

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm Post

aronwhite95 wrote:oh yes, it is, every penny of it. No question about it. I have compared to other similar apps, and this is just so user friendly and intuitive to use

Absolutely! It's also worth remembering you don't have to use all its capabilities - spend weeks learning it - to get great value from it. At its most basic it's good, but the more you pick up the better it gets. :D
ImageImage


MacPro 7.5 - Scrivener & Scapple
Lenovo - Ubuntu/Win 8.1- Scrivener & Scapple

cr
creactiv
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:09 am
Platform: Windows

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:55 pm Post

To make a long story short:

Re: Is Scrivener for PC worth it?

Yes.

ph
phoenixloop
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:29 pm
Platform: Windows

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:50 pm Post

RuffPub wrote:2. Given the significant investment in time by the two developers, plus support from their tech support team in getting V3 to RC19, how could you possibly argue any concern for robust support going forward? ‘Ok guys, you’ve just spent 3 years plus developing V3 Win and getting it to a solid release, now go twiddle your thumbs until we find something else for you to do... oh, and you support team staff, forget about your Win 3 knowledge and only provide robust support for the Mac version....’ See how dumb that suggestion really is?


It's probably related to your definition of 'robust'. The development cycle for v3, both as it was projected by L&L and as it's played out for users, has been glacial.

So if you enjoy your 'robust' support moving at the pace of Siberian molasses, great. But if the concern is about ongoing development moving at a less... geologic... pace, then those concerns are probably well founded.

Ru
RuffPub
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:58 pm Post

phoenixloop wrote: It's probably related to your definition of 'robust'. The development cycle for v3, both as it was projected by L&L and as it's played out for users, has been glacial.

So if you enjoy your 'robust' support moving at the pace of Siberian molasses, great. But if the concern is about ongoing development moving at a less... geologic... pace, then those concerns are probably well founded.


No one is disputing the development has been less than speedy. However, Scrivener for both Mac and Win are not the type of app the require frequent updates. Once Win 3 is (shortly) put to bed and initial bugs taken care of 'robust support' will likely entail the odd bug fix and from time-to-time a little tweak. It's not like an OS such as Win 10 and MS's urgent need to brick systems each month in the name of security updates.

So, not I don't think those concerns are at all well founded.