Feature request: Open Scrivener 3 files in the current Windows Release

su
summerdown

Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:19 pm Post

I realise most of the Scrivener development for Windows is focused on Scrivener 3. And I am looking forward to that coming out. I'll certainly buy it when it does. But in the meantime, the one thing stopping me using the current Windows version isn't a lack of features or a snazzy interface. It's simply the fact that I can't create a file on a mac then open it on Windows.

As an interim measure, is there no chance of an update to the V1 version of Scrivener for Windows that lets it open Scrivener 3 files?

If it took several years to produce Scrivener 3 on Windows, I wouldn't mind at that point. Because I could continue with my workflow regardless.

Apologies if this is actually a really difficult thing to do. I'm not sure whether there's some hidden complication. It's just that it would make it so much easier to use Scrivener across different operating systems.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm Post

Mac Scrivener 3 can export as a Scrivener 2 project, which the current Windows release can open.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

su
summerdown

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:17 pm Post

That's great - thank you :)

Just checking what that means for the workflow. Does it mean:

a) I go into Mac Scrivener, export as v2, and from that point I can open and close with both programs seamlessly.

or

b) I go into Mac Scrivener, export as v2, but I have to use the "export as" function each time I add text under the Mac version?

I.e. is there a way to interoperate between the two programs seamlessly? Or do I have to do something manual each time?

By seamless, I mean something like, 'double click the file to open and it opens. Close it and all data is saved. Now the other OS can use it. No prep work need take place in advance to use the other OS.'

kewms

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:07 am Post

If you are using Mac Scrivener 3, it will convert to Scrivener 3 format every time the project is opened. You'll then need to convert it back to use it with Windows Scrivener.

If you want to switch between the two platforms routinely, I would recommend either using the Windows Scrivener 3 beta, or downgrading to Mac Scrivener 2.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

su
summerdown

Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:50 pm Post

kewms wrote:If you are using Mac Scrivener 3, it will convert to Scrivener 3 format every time the project is opened. You'll then need to convert it back to use it with Windows Scrivener.
Katherine

Ah. That's a pity.

In that case, I would like to request the feature that all active versions open and save the same version of the file.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 am Post

It won't happen -- that's a MAJOR chunk of upgraded code to retrofit, and this behavior keeps parity with how the Mac version behaved in the 2.x to 3.x upgrade (with the exception that release Scrivener 3.x for Mac can export back into 2.x format -- and the Windows release 3.x is expected to do the same once it comes out of beta.)
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 am Post

summerdown wrote: I would like to request the feature that all active versions open and save the same version of the file.

The problem is thatnit’s not a file. The project is the whole folder structure which means it’s a very big job to change the old Win version, as Devinganger points out.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

su
summerdown

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:13 pm Post

lunk wrote:
summerdown wrote: I would like to request the feature that all active versions open and save the same version of the file.

The problem is thatnit’s not a file. The project is the whole folder structure which means it’s a very big job to change the old Win version, as Devinganger points out.

Well... how about doing it the other way round?

The Mac version can clearly open Windows files. It can also write them out if you ask it to.

So it would seem possible to have a flag in the option tree to "use the old file format," and make that the default.

kewms

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:42 pm Post

summerdown wrote:The Mac version can clearly open Windows files. It can also write them out if you ask it to.

So it would seem possible to have a flag in the option tree to "use the old file format," and make that the default.

Mac Scrivener 3 opens projects in the old format and immediately converts them to the new format. It is not able to directly edit the old project format. Nor can it be easily modified to do so, since all of the code that manages the links between the Binder and the individual files comprising your project would have to change.

We didn't change the project format just for grins, or to irritate our users. Among other things, the new format is more robust against possible synchronization errors. Which would seem to be especially important for anyone using more than one copy of Scrivener.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:49 pm Post

There are two file formats: v2 and v3. Both are cross-platform.

Scrivener 2.x for the Mac and Scrivener 1.9.x for Windows both natively open and work in the v2 file format You can open a v2 project in these programs, edit it, and save it; it will still be a v2 project. Neither has any idea what to do with a v3 format project.

Scrivener 3.x for the Mac and Scrivener 3.x for Windows (forthcoming, still in beta) both natively open and work in the v3 file format. You can open a v3 project in these programs, edit it, and save it; it will still be a v3 project. If you open a v2 project in these programs, they will save a copy of it *and automatically convert the live copy to v3*. Scrivener 3.x for Mac *also* has an "export to v2" option to allow you to convert backwards, but that functionality did not show up until essentially the end of its beta period -- so while the Windows 3.x beta currently lacks this "export to v2" functionality, some of us are assuming that we will see it added right around release time (I believe that L&L has stated that was the intention previously, but I do not have the time to track down that conversation).

Scrivener for iOS handles both v2 and v3 formats, since it was developed as the push to v3 was taking place. If you open a new project natively in Scrivener for iOS, it will be a v3 format project. Otherwise, it will natively handle both formats, *but it does not provide options to convert between them*.

L&L's strategy has always been clear -- new format requires the new version of the tools to handle. I am not L&L so my answer is not official, but if L&L decide to backport the ability to read v3 files into Scrivener 1.9, I would be so shocked that I would buy you your Scrivener licenses.
--
Devin L. Ganger

An
AnotherGuy

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:57 am Post

kewms wrote:
summerdown wrote:
We didn't change the project format just for grins, or to irritate our users. Among other things, the new format is more robust against possible synchronization errors. Which would seem to be especially important for anyone using more than one copy of Scrivener.

Katherine

I just upgraded from 1.9x to 3 Beta 64bit on Windows 10. Do you expect any problems when syncing my project files between the 3 Beta and Scrivener 3 on Mac? Any possibility that the 3 Beta might have some internal bugs which may corrupt my project files on Mac?
“Just another guy that you see around
No more than a face somewhere in a crowd “

devinganger

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:38 am Post

AnotherGuy wrote:I just upgraded from 1.9x to 3 Beta 64bit on Windows 10. Do you expect any problems when syncing my project files between the 3 Beta and Scrivener 3 on Mac? Any possibility that the 3 Beta might have some internal bugs which may corrupt my project files on Mac?

I don't switch back and forth heavily, but I have been doing so consistently since the beta was first released and I have not yet noticed any bugs that have produced corruption on the Mac.
--
Devin L. Ganger

An
AnotherGuy

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:51 am Post

devinganger wrote:
AnotherGuy wrote:I just upgraded from 1.9x to 3 Beta 64bit on Windows 10. Do you expect any problems when syncing my project files between the 3 Beta and Scrivener 3 on Mac? Any possibility that the 3 Beta might have some internal bugs which may corrupt my project files on Mac?

I don't switch back and forth heavily, but I have been doing so consistently since the beta was first released and I have not yet noticed any bugs that have produced corruption on the Mac.

Thank you for your help.

xiamenese

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:42 am Post

AnotherGuy wrote:
kewms wrote:
summerdown wrote:

Katherine

I just upgraded from 1.9x to 3 Beta 64bit on Windows 10. Do you expect any problems when syncing my project files between the 3 Beta and Scrivener 3 on Mac? Any possibility that the 3 Beta might have some internal bugs which may corrupt my project files on Mac?

My collaborator is Windows based, I am Mac-based. We've been working on projects together with her on successive Windows v. 3 Betas for two years without any problems other than the occasional "pilot error" of shutting down too quickly before the cloud server has sync'ed fully.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.1, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

An
AnotherGuy

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:21 am Post

xiamenese wrote:My collaborator is Windows based, I am Mac-based. We've been working on projects together with her on successive Windows v. 3 Betas for two years without any problems other than the occasional "pilot error" of shutting down too quickly before the cloud server has sync'ed fully.

That’s great to hear, thank you! :)