Has Windows Version 3 Been Scrapped?

me
melleesmith
Platform: Windows

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:56 am Post

entheo wrote:Out of curiosity, I did look to see what I could find on both people leaving Scrivener and alternatives. Here are some of the information I found:

https://www.melleesmith.com/2019/12/08/ ... scrivener/

Hi! I'm Mel, the owner of this site and author of this post. Thanks for reading and linking here. I've gotten quite a few clicks from this forum so I really appreciate it.

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:35 am Post

You’re not reading properly Lunk. If you took a second to think before jumping to conclusions, you’d see that @melleesmith means they were the author of the first post in @entheo’s list.

Thanks for the explanation @melleesmith. As you say, best to use whatever tools suit your writing best. It’s also best to ignore the people here who liberally critique the writing styles and working habits of others, though I can perfectly understand your wish to respond to ad hominem attacks.

For me, Scriv3 will be worth the wait, though I primarily work on a Mac so am less affected by the delays.

g
g e hoeflinger

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am Post

II fully expect that Version 3 will be released. When is another matter. I'm thinking the heat-death of the universe will be involved. Expect the announcement in December that the release imminent in December 2025.

kalidasa

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:14 pm Post

I feel like we're really close to v3 being completed. Fingers crossed, anyway. I'll happily keep using the beta until that day comes. :)

wb
wburkett

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:41 am Post

Daniela Wolfe wrote:
It wasn't promised in 2018 either, Literature and Latte has only ever released estimates, they never made promises.

Oh but it was! You could argue whether or not it was a "promise", but I distinctly remember the announcement "Coming in 2018". Those words about Scrivener 3.0 for Windows were written on this website.

Hu
Huskey

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:32 am Post

On a serious note: I really would like to congratulate all the people who stayed around all these years despite the fact that they were unable to use Scrivener and write their books. Admirable! I would have buggered off a long time ago to find my match.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:29 am Post

Huskey wrote:I really would like to congratulate all the people who stayed around all these years despite the fact that they were unable to use Scrivener and write their books. Admirable!

Doesn’t Win Scriv 1.9 work anymore? Did it stop working all those years ago? That’s news to me. :shock:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Daniela Wolfe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:03 pm Post

wburkett wrote:
Daniela Wolfe wrote:
It wasn't promised in 2018 either, Literature and Latte has only ever released estimates, they never made promises.

Oh but it was! You could argue whether or not it was a "promise", but I distinctly remember the announcement "Coming in 2018". Those words about Scrivener 3.0 for Windows were written on this website.

And I suppose you have proof of that? I don't recall seeing anything that set a hard date and I've looked.
Have a deliciously demented day,

Ja
Jaaaarne
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:01 am Post

Daniela Wolfe wrote:And I suppose you have proof of that? I don't recall seeing anything that set a hard date and I've looked.

Maybe not quire what you're looking for, but look here: viewtopic.php?p=274224#p274224

Before releasing v.3 for Mac. September 2016.

We'll have news soonish. The hard part is going to be letting our Windows users down gently. The macOS update is likely to be a good six months ahead of the Windows one (like an inverse Microsoft), but our Windows developers are working on a 3.0 to match the macOS version

That's not quite a promise, of course. Still. It was four years ago, and the Windows v.3 was expected ~half a year after the Mac v.3

Thing is, you need to dig really deep to find anything, because this has been going on for several years. :)

People have been complaining about the lack of communication for two years now. That's because there was an understanding that Windows v.3 was expected to be released in 2018 (most probably because of the "likely to be a good six months" after the Mac release). I can't remember if I participated in any discussions to try and dig out more, it was so long ago. :)

Then there was also this: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog ... rses-mouth

We initially slated “some time in 2018” for release, but later revised that to “by the end of Q2 2019”, and we're not going to make that either.

Sounds like a promise to you? :)

And there was this: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog ... gic-number (notice it's from year 2017).

all we can say is that Scrivener 3 for Windows will be released when it’s ready, most likely some time in 2020

Seeing how "highly likely" argument has been enough of a reason for international economic sanctions, I'd say "likely" sounds like a promise. :) However, in this particular case there have been several "likely" estimates, which means they don't know themselves. which is probably okay. Who knows what might have come up, what difficulties. Porting to another platform is not an easy feat.

Still, people are frustrated, and it's understandable. It's been going on for several years, with all these - yes - promises. Myself, I've tried beta and quite liked the look and feel. However, it expiring every two weeks or so without any obvious way to at least fetch settings to reinstall, made me uninstall for good after the third iteration.

Back in 2018 I left for Typora and Writer+ (because Linux & Android). And when the quarantines & lockdowns started, I decided to go look at what was the state of affairs in the Scrivener kingdom. :) Imagine the laughing fit I had, when I saw that no v.3 was still released, no estimates given, and people were still complaining about it. :)

OwenKelly
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:26 am Post

lunk wrote:
Huskey wrote:I really would like to congratulate all the people who stayed around all these years despite the fact that they were unable to use Scrivener and write their books. Admirable!

Doesn’t Win Scriv 1.9 work anymore? Did it stop working all those years ago? That’s news to me. :shock:

Whoosh!

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 am Post

OwenKelly wrote:
lunk wrote:

Whoosh!

Not so much "whoosh" as amplification.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:06 pm Post

If you feel the forum rule ("Be polite.") is being violated, there's a "report" button on every post.

If you find the "tone" of a particular thread to be unpleasant, but still within the limits of politeness, you should feel free to ignore it or, even better, to start your own thread. Be the culture you want to see in the forum.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Hy
Hyker

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 pm Post

I'm new here. I used Scrivener waaaaay back on a little Windows based Toshiba when Scrivener was just in diapers. But enough back story, which was only a lead-in to say that I really liked that program for my writing and was hoping it would be a viable program to return to.

Flash forward to today. After looking at the L&L website I was confused as to the release date of Scrivener 3. So I found myself at this forum and thread and was truly amazed at how unprofessionally this company portrays itself. Semantics plays a part in the argument over whether L&L actually says there's going to be a Scrivener 3, or if it's only implied. I can tell you it makes no difference because the consumer (myself) is led to believe there WILL be a release. But therein lies the confusion because it's been on the back burner for years...YEARS...and that undermines confidence not only in the actual release, but in the capabilities of the Dev Team. The only impression I get is that L&L markets itself through scheming and shady advertising. And if this is how the topic is handled, through opinionated and chaotic forums, then I can only assume that any attempts at finding assistance for true and related technical concerns will not be easily accessed.

Bottom line- Unless someone can assure me that the customer experience (which is valued so highly by myself and other consumers) isn't going to be a nightmare, and that L&L will act ethically and with integrity by giving truthful updates to it's customer base, then I will pass on Scrivener. It's not so much about the product as the customer service and experience. Please wake up L&L and give me some hope.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:17 pm Post

The vast majority of posters in this thread (or in the forums generally) are not Literature & Latte employees and speak only for themselves.

The official position of Literature & Latte regarding Windows Scrivener 3 is as follows:

* We know it's very late. We apologize.

* Because we have missed release dates in the past, there will be no further proposed release date announcements. Regular status updates can be found in the Windows Scrivener 3 beta forum. Many people have been using the beta for important work for some time now. Anyone who wishes can download it and evaluate its status for themselves.

* Rest assured, however, that active development of Windows Scrivener 3 is ongoing, and we intend to release it as soon as we believe we can.

Does that clarify things?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 pm Post

Hyker wrote:And if this is how the topic is handled, through opinionated and chaotic forums, then I can only assume that any attempts at finding assistance for true and related technical concerns will not be easily accessed.
Hello Hyker,

Windows Scriv customer here.

While there are most definitely a few opinionated and chaotic threads, if you spend a little time looking through the forums, I think you'll find they--mostly--consist of rather mundane* posts by users and L&L staff helping other users with technical and usage questions.

*That is, unless you're like me, and you enjoy reading that sort of thing for relaxation. :oops:

Also, I've been using the Windows v3 beta quite happily as my full-time writing since late last year. It is most definitely being actively developed.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.