Confusion over lack of Linguistic Focus in Win version

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:14 am Post

seedypoet wrote: And if Microsoft already has a plugin for OneNote that works pretty much the same as in the Mac version, I would assume they have some resources for further development.

Why would you assume that? First of all, they want developers to go to .NET and develop for their store, not to develop standalone C++ applications. Second, if they have a plugin, why would they care, since they already have that support for the one tool they want you to use instead of Scrivener?
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

seedypoet
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 pm Post

Why would you assume that? ...if they have a plugin, why would they care, since they already have that support for the one tool they want you to use instead of Scrivener?

I would assume it because for one thing it is not as ridiculous as you seem to think it is; and for another, I've already seen instances of them doing it through their Microsoft Developer program and the Microsoft Tech Community. I'm not much of a programmer anymore, but I do try to keep up with what's going on.

Microsoft hasn't been very big on trying to squash alternative software development since the Explorer versus Netscape fiasco of the '90s. Operating systems, sure. But not so much user applications. It doesn't even benefit them in any way. Scrivener is not a major obstacle or competitor for Microsoft in any way. It's a niche market not exactly cash rich enough to get the attention of a company like Microsoft. If it were, I'm pretty sure Microsoft would have it own authoring package already included in its Office Suite, probably incorporated into Word.

Not sure what this supposed .Net conspiracy theory is about, but I haven't heard much about it. But I'm sure it is just as real as all the other random rumors circulating the web. Doesn't really sound very credible that Microsoft would be pushing independent developers to only make products for their store. I can see that with Apple and their proprietary dominion. But for PCs? Meh. Microsoft does not rule over C++.

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 am Post

seedypoet wrote:Not sure what this supposed .Net conspiracy theory is about, but I haven't heard much about it.

"Conspiracy theory"? You're right. You're not much of a programmer anymore.

But for PCs? Meh. Microsoft does not rule over C++.

Microsoft rules over their API's. Just about everything they release nowadays is WRT with a primary interface in .NET.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

seedypoet
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:24 pm Post

Yeah okay, David Icke. Save it for Reddit.