Automatic save

wo
wordfoundry
Platform: Windows

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 am Post

I have been having a heck of a time using save and backup in a windows environment while running both a desktop and a laptop computer. Currently, I am backing up both laptop and desktop to a portable thumbdrive. For some reason I cannot backup to dropbox (great mystery there).
My question is, can I change the location of the save (not backup) to other than the original location when I started the folder? e.g. Change it from dropbox, to the hard drive in each respective computer.

I must confess, as much as I admire Scrivener and keep returning to it, I am bewildered that Scrivener has not (to my knowledge) produced a cross-platform program but rather patchwork fixes to help us befuddled Windows users.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:35 am Post

The save operation will always write to the project being edited, wherever it is located. So you can move the project the same way you would move any other folder, by dragging and dropping with Windows Explorer. Just make sure to close Scrivener first and move the *entire* .scriv folder, with all subfolders.

Make sure the Dropbox software is installed on the machine. That should create a Dropbox folder that will look to Scrivener just like any other location in the local file system. Then, make sure that you can write to that location with programs other than Scrivener.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team