Why don't we do something useful in the meantime?

je
jesuslpgc
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:40 am Post

As someone whose most of his interventions in this forum has been as a detractor, this post might read weird, but please why don't you take some time and read this balanced post https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=302177#p302177 and ponder a little bit.

And in the meanwhile why don't we download the latest beta and do something useful? I mean, many of us do speak a second language. We could check if that has been correctly translated, version reads natural, and instead of attacking the developers, propose some alternatives.

Also, if you worked with the program before, or if you're working currently with one of the current versions in the Mac / IOS platforms, does your fave feature work as intended? Can you do anything you want/need in the beta already? Any weird scenario that might come up with? Try and if something goes awry inform the developers.... Even if you're working on a mac you could install a windows 10 on parallels and give the beta a try!!!!
Last edited by jesuslpgc on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:47 am Post

I have V3 Mac and V3beta under Parallels running at the same time on a 27” 4k screen and compare functionality etc with each release.

gi
gimox
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:08 am Post

Astaff wrote:I have V3 Mac and V3beta under Parallels running at the same time on a 27” 4k screen and compare functionality etc with each release.

Can you please list the functionalities that are still not present in the windows version?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:23 am Post

jesuslpgc wrote:And in the meanwhile why don't we download the latest beta and do something useful? I mean, many of us do speak a second language. We could check if that has been correctly translated, version reads natural, and instead of attacking the developers, propose some alternatives.
- - -
Even if you're working on a mac you could install a windows 10 on parallels and give the beta a try!!!!

Well, I think it’s more useful to actually use Scrivener to write the things I am working on right now, but of course that’s me and my view. I usually don’t participate in beta testing, simply because I don’t have time for that. The limited time I can spend with Scrivener I want to do something useful, like writing on my book.
I liked Scriv 2 on the Mac and didn’t immediately upgrade because I didn’t need to. Scriv 2 was enough for my writing. The iOS version was another story. I never liked "Sync with external folder" but really like iOS Scrivener as a complement to the full desktop version.

So, from my point of view the most useful one can do is to use the software the way it is meant to be used. For writing. In its current state. I don’t understand the meta discussion about release dates etcetera. Do you have so much free time that you don’t need for writing your Magnum Opus?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

je
jesuslpgc

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:25 am Post

lunk wrote:
jesuslpgc wrote:And in the meanwhile why don't we download the latest beta and do something useful? I mean, many of us do speak a second language. We could check if that has been correctly translated, version reads natural, and instead of attacking the developers, propose some alternatives.
- - -
Even if you're working on a mac you could install a windows 10 on parallels and give the beta a try!!!!

Well, I think it’s more useful to actually use Scrivener to write the things I am working on right now, but of course that’s me and my view. I usually don’t participate in beta testing, simply because I don’t have time for that. The limited time I can spend with Scrivener I want to do something useful, like writing on my book.
I liked Scriv 2 on the Mac and didn’t immediately upgrade because I didn’t need to. Scriv 2 was enough for my writing. The iOS version was another story. I never liked "Sync with external folder" but really like iOS Scrivener as a complement to the full desktop version.

So, from my point of view the most useful one can do is to use the software the way it is meant to be used. For writing. In its current state. I don’t understand the meta discussion about release dates etcetera. Do you have so much free time that you don’t need for writing your Magnum Opus?

I was referring to the people that spent their time complaining on the delay of the V3 release...

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:31 am Post

A very positive suggestion, good luck with the testing.

lunk

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:49 am Post

jesuslpgc wrote:I was referring to the people that spent their time complaining on the delay of the V3 release...

So am I. :)

I have asked several in here, including you I think, what it is they desperately need to be able to do to continue working on their Magnum Opus, which they can’t do with Win version 1.9 but think is possible with version 3. So far no one has answered,

If writing is your first priority, the most important thing in your life, the software is the least important thing. You’d write in any way possible. Even on paper! :D
You wouldn’t spend time discussing when some version of a specific software would be released. You would just... write!
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

je
jesuslpgc

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:52 am Post

lunk wrote:
jesuslpgc wrote:I was referring to the people that spent their time complaining on the delay of the V3 release...

So am I. :)

I have asked several in here, including you I think, what it is they desperately need to be able to do to continue working on their Magnum Opus, which they can’t do with Win version 1.9 but think is possible with version 3. So far no one has answered,

If writing is your first priority, the most important thing in your life, the software is the least important thing. You’d write in any way possible. Even on paper! :D
You wouldn’t spend time discussing when some version of a specific software would be released. You would just... write!

Well, try the beta if you come up with the idea for a short story while writing your magnum opus, or don't. I'm writing my main two works right now using the beta and compiling to pdf and word every days just in case....

lunk

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:55 am Post

I never compile to anything while I am writing. Ther are backups, Time Machine backups, and copies on each of the other Macs, and on my iPad. But I have never lost anything during the six years I have been using Scrivener.

je
jesuslpgc

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:05 pm Post

lunk wrote:I never compile to anything while I am writing. There are backups, Time Machine backups, and copies on each of the other Macs, and on my iPad. But I have never lost anything during the six years I have been using Scrivener.

That's great to hear. I used extensively Scrivener 2.x with my late 2012 Imac.... and never had an issue that I can remember. last year I had to change computers, I was deterred from the Mac idea the huge increase in prices, the lowered quality of the hardware and the prevalence of software as a monthly payment. Hope I can read something by you soon.

martienne
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:42 pm Post

To answer the original question: Translating is incredibly boring, needs fully native skills and is also quite time consuming. That's why we pay a price for the software - i.e. somebody else does the work. I can program too, but I'm not going to offer to help with that for free either. 
I'm sure this software will be very good when it's finally complete and Scrivener should have credit for doing it themselves instead of outsourcing to a low cost country. With that said, I think it's  irritating with the initially communicated release date is off by a couple of years. The Beta version I'm running now, is not fit for production release, in my opinion as an IT project manager. I'm defs not holding my breath for a release of the first production version before Christmas. 

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:39 am Post

gimox wrote:
Astaff wrote:I have V3 Mac and V3beta under Parallels running at the same time on a 27” 4k screen and compare functionality etc with each release.

Can you please list the functionalities that are still not present in the windows version?

Why are you asking another user of the software for an immense amount of personal labor for free?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Pr
Prometheus

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:17 am Post

lunk wrote:

lunk wrote:

Or, you could spend free time hanging out in the L&L forums, being a complete, snarky, ass to anyone, while questioning their drive/will to write. :roll:

lunk

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:03 am Post

Prometheus wrote:Or, you could spend free time hanging out in the L&L forums, being a complete, snarky, ass to anyone, while questioning their drive/will to write. :roll:
Absolutely! That’s up to you. :)

Go
Gothelittle

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 pm Post

I'm "beta-testing" Scrivener 3.

By "beta-testing", what I really mean is that I've basically switched to it for my writing needs. I sit and write. I use it to write. And whenever I come up with a problem with the software, I take just a moment and switch to my old training. I see if it is repeatable, I try to describe it accurately, and then I send in the information. (In my "last life", I was a software engineer with quality engineer training.)

Then I go back to writing. 'Cause that's what I'm really using it for.

I use its Syncing function to ensure that I will always have my work, and I Sync both my book and my research, just in case. If something went kablam, I could reconstruct everything from the Syncing Folder. (Each project has its own folder within a folder called "Scrivener 3", and each project has its own syncing folder within a folder called "Scrivener 3 Syncing Folder".)

Mostly, I check the forums to see if there are new versions, or if someone else has already made a note of a bug I've found, so that I can reply and say "Me too!" Occasionally, like this evening, I check the forums because I'm bored and done writing for the day.

Anyways, I guess my actual point is that beta-testing doesn't mean that you have to sit there and put in hours and hours testing each individual function to see what it does. That should've been handled already anyways. Beta testing means that you just use the software, with all the features you need, and report anything that breaks. Beta testing is for finding out if the Compile function crashes three hours into every full moon, or whether there is an upper limit to the number of times you can change the font in your project (I've dealt with stranger issues than either of those theoretical examples!), and you're going to find most of what you find by accident.