WIndows 3 Release: My Thoughts

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 am Post

Sorry, mate, haven't you been on the Internet long enough to know that the first person to drag a dictionary into a discussion is inevitably the loser?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

je
jesuslpgc
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:48 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:55 am Post

devinganger wrote:Sorry, mate, haven't you been on the Internet long enough to know that the first person to drag a dictionary into a discussion is inevitably the loser?



Been around the web sometime. Never heard that. Do you invent them as you see fit? Or are you trying to steer this post offtopic enough to provide the admins a reason to close it?

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:36 am Post

jesuslpgc wrote:And it had to accept that many people bought the product thinking that soon would enjoy the same ring and bells that the Mac counterpart. And, that caveats and legalese aside, announcements like August 30th and the it's a matter of weeks not months, among many others, led many to buy the product expecting a parity that probably will not take place ever.


This is turning into an insult contest.

Win V3 is not vapourware, it’s available to download and IMHO damned close to release. It will never be exactly the same as the Mac version and L&L stated that due to differences in the two operating systems, however it will be ‘equivalent’ and they share files.

They expected to release around Aug 30 but reality got in the way. For that they apologised. Getting all snarky and insulting all and sundry isn’t going to make it arrive any quicker. You have access to a fully functional program in 1.9 to tide you over, or can use V3 beta and output quality work.

You’ve made your point over and over and over. The horse is well and truly dead and flayed of all its hide.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4233
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:57 am Post

Astaff wrote:You’ve made your point over and over and over. The horse is well and truly dead and flayed of all its hide.

Sometimes I wonder if the complainers really care about the release of Scriv 3, or if they only use this as an excuse to complain and vent their general frustration with life. You can see this in many forums on the net. New users who only post a few angry posts and then disappear.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

je
jesuslpgc
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:48 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am Post

Astaff wrote:
jesuslpgc wrote:And it had to accept that many people bought the product thinking that soon would enjoy the same ring and bells that the Mac counterpart. And, that caveats and legalese aside, announcements like August 30th and the it's a matter of weeks not months, among many others, led many to buy the product expecting a parity that probably will not take place ever.


This is turning into an insult contest.

Win V3 is not vapourware, it’s available to download and IMHO damned close to release. It will never be exactly the same as the Mac version and L&L stated that due to differences in the two operating systems, however it will be ‘equivalent’ and they share files.

They expected to release around Aug 30 but reality got in the way. For that they apologised. Getting all snarky and insulting all and sundry isn’t going to make it arrive any quicker. You have access to a fully functional program in 1.9 to tide you over, or can use V3 beta and output quality work.

You’ve made your point over and over and over. The horse is well and truly dead and flayed of all its hide.


1. I think I've not insulted but stated the obvious. Please accept my apologies if you've felt insulted by anything I've written.
2. Having to download an .exe every few weeks it's now being released. See what I said before.
3. 1.9 it's a product marginally cheaper but greatly lacking when compared to Mac's v3. Windows dimes are as good as Mac's- Products should be something similar and by golly after almost three years they've had time enough to deliver. I don't think nobody does is harmed by venting their impatience... a way to remind the good people of Literature and Latte that they made a promise.
4. Perhaps old timers use this to vent their angst on new users that somehow feel that L&L are not being totally there. New users that watch videos online and see all the nice things that V3 has in other platforms. At this pace even Android users will have a more advanced app quite soon and we Windows users will still be bickering back and forward about the imminent release of Version 3.

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:33 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:2. Having to download an .exe every few weeks it's now being released. See what I said before.
3. 1.9 it's a product marginally cheaper but greatly lacking when compared to Mac's v3. Windows dimes are as good as Mac's- Products should be something similar and by golly after almost three years they've had time enough to deliver. I don't think nobody does is harmed by venting their impatience... a way to remind the good people of Literature and Latte that they made a promise.
4. Perhaps old timers use this to vent their angst on new users that somehow feel that L&L are not being totally there. New users that watch videos online and see all the nice things that V3 has in other platforms. At this pace even Android users will have a more advanced app quite soon and we Windows users will still be bickering back and forward about the imminent release of Version 3.


2. Downloading a new update every couple of weeks is no big imposition. I and many others do it and enjoy the progress being made. With every download you get a better version. If that's too much for you, don't use the beta.

3. You're vented your impatience again and again. L&L have addressed the delay, apologized for it. Get over it, No one (other than you) has suggested Win users $ aren't as good as Mac. Some of us have paid $ for BOTH Win and Mac versions. The program was originally developed on Mac because the owner of the company and original developer used a Mac. The Win version was developed later to satisfy that demand. No plot to put Win users at the back of the queue, just reality. Those are the simple facts as to why the Mac version is ahead of the Win. Some have suggested the Mac version development be halted to wait for the Win version to catch up. No point in the sole Mac developer sitting on his hands when he can improve the program.

4. 'Old timers' have seen endless first posters whining about the delay, threatening to go elsewhere, demanding people be sacked and other consequences. If you read the other posts on the delays you'd see everything you've said has been said over and over again. 'Old timers' have dealt with L&L, respect the team and while we may be chomping at the bit and disappointed with the delay see no point in harassing the L&L team, suggesting they never intend to release V3, claiming Android will be here first and other totally unsubstantiated wild claims.

Android development depends upon the completion of the Windows project, using the same Qt tools. If you'd read the multiple posts on that you'd know.

je
jesuslpgc
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:48 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:04 pm Post

Understood. Since many have complained before and three years it's nothing we have nothing to complain about.

Ok good sir, I'll leave your garden 'fore you sic your dogs on me.

Pr
Prometheus
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:07 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:30 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:
I consider that version 3 is vaporware.


Obviously, WinV3 is not vaporware - it's literally right there, in beta form. And, it can be used to write. I'm doing it. So are others. You can be frustrated with the lack of a general release of WinV3, but let's not be silly here.

wb
wburkett
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:35 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm Post

It is disheartening to continue to see Mac releases (3.1.4 on 10/10/19) and no Windows 3.0 release. Regardless of the number of developers working on it, or the progress they are making resolving bugs, the fact remains the release of the Scrivener Windows 3.0 is years behind the release of Mac 3.0 version. And I still wistfully recall the announcement that the Windows 3.0 version was "coming in 2018".

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24325
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 pm Post

It is disheartening to continue to see Mac releases (3.1.4 on 10/10/19) and no Windows 3.0 release.


You evidently are not aware of the fact that this was a small bug fix release to patch some areas that were broken by a recent macOS update. :lol:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4233
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm Post

wburkett wrote:It is disheartening to continue to see Mac releases (3.1.4 on 10/10/19)

Why? What is it you need to be able to do while you write that only version 3 can do?
I was perfectly happy with 2.8 but upgraded anyhow.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 6556
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:06 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
It is disheartening to continue to see Mac releases (3.1.4 on 10/10/19) and no Windows 3.0 release.


You evidently are not aware of the fact that this was a small bug fix release to patch some areas that were broken by a recent macOS update. :lol:


What Ioa said. There have also been some recent critical updates to the release version of Scrivener for Windows. Are those also "disheartening?"

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 6556
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:09 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:3. 1.9 it's a product marginally cheaper but greatly lacking when compared to Mac's v3. Windows dimes are as good as Mac's- Products should be something similar and by golly after almost three years they've had time enough to deliver. I don't think nobody does is harmed by venting their impatience... a way to remind the good people of Literature and Latte that they made a promise.


Where are you getting "almost three years" from? Mac Scrivener 3 was released in November, 2017.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:Been around the web sometime. Never heard that. Do you invent them as you see fit? Or are you trying to steer this post offtopic enough to provide the admins a reason to close it?


You're cute when you're needlessly complaining.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Sy
Synth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:56 am
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:01 am Post

devinganger wrote:
jesuslpgc wrote:Been around the web sometime. Never heard that. Do you invent them as you see fit? Or are you trying to steer this post offtopic enough to provide the admins a reason to close it?


You're cute when you're needlessly complaining.


was that useful or constructive?