WIndows 3 Release: My Thoughts

Th
TheBard
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:47 pm Post

My thoughts on downloading yet another Beta after being promised, and paying for, a program.

You need to make the Windows side as equally and justifiably important to you and your company as the Mac side of the operation is. You haven't, and thus you don't have a product to sell, only a promise. Some might call this fraud, as it certainly borders on it.

Good luck. I'm still waiting.

devinganger

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:16 pm Post

The have twice as many developers working on the Windows version as they do on the Mac version. If that's not commitment enough, what is?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 pm Post

They have a product to sell … v. 1.9. That's what you've paid for and plenty of people have produced books using it. They haven't sold you the upgrade, you could be using the v. 3 Betas without having purchased 1.9.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Th
TheBard

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:49 pm Post

Xiam: Commitment would be demonstrated by getting me what I paid for. A useful product that isn't a beta but a finished product, which is what I have paid for.

Mark: I am using the Beta, and when finding a glitch, turning over the information. Still, a finished product with the stability of WordPerfect or MSWord would be a Godsend.

Anything else? Fine. I'll go back to writing.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:01 pm Post

You paid for Windows Scrivener 1.9. The Windows Scrivener 3 beta is currently free.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

krastev
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 pm Post

TheBard wrote:...which is what I have paid for.

No, you have not.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.13.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

theswede

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 pm Post

TheBard wrote:Still, a finished product with the stability of WordPerfect or MSWord would be a Godsend.

You have that. It's version 1.9.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

devinganger

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 pm Post

And before you complain that 1.9 isn't the beta and isn't a finished product, you should know that a) perfectly good published novels and other works have been produced with 1.9, and b) software is never really "finished."
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

je
jesuslpgc

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:09 am Post

kewms wrote:You paid for Windows Scrivener 1.9. The Windows Scrivener 3 beta is currently free.

Katherine

Many people bought the product on the promise of having a program on par with the Mac version in the near future. 2 years later, after the August 30th fiasco, you have release further IPADos (IOS) and Macos upgrades, promised that the Windows version would be a matter of week not months (two months already) and your new spiel is that you will release the new version when it's ready. In the meanwhile anyone who's bought the version in let's sai mid-August have lost the lost the return window.

Of course 1.9 it's a functional program. So it's Photoshop 1.0. Try to imagine if Adobe decided that version 1.0 was good enough for Windows users while they kept rolling updates to their Mac users at a marginal lesser price....

devinganger

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 am Post

jesuslpgc wrote:In the meanwhile anyone who's bought the version in let's sai mid-August have lost the lost the return window.

Ah. You probably need to do a little bit more research, because you seem to be confused on this point.

Quoting from the Scrivener page:

If you purchased Scrivener 2 on or after 20th August 2017, you can update to Scrivener 3 for free.
If you purchased Scrivener 2 before that date, you can update to Scrivener 3 with a 45% discount.

So they are offering *free* upgrades to the final release version for any Scrivener for Windows user who bought a license in a 26+ month window. That's pretty damn generous.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

je
jesuslpgc

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 am Post

devinganger wrote:
jesuslpgc wrote:In the meanwhile anyone who's bought the version in let's sai mid-August have lost the lost the return window.

Ah. You probably need to do a little bit more research, because you seem to be confused on this point.

Quoting from the Scrivener page:

If you purchased Scrivener 2 on or after 20th August 2017, you can update to Scrivener 3 for free.
If you purchased Scrivener 2 before that date, you can update to Scrivener 3 with a 45% discount.

So they are offering *free* upgrades to the final release version for any Scrivener for Windows user who bought a license in a 26+ month window. That's pretty damn generous.

I meant that someone that bought the program before August 30th believing the hype that V3 would be release on that day or in a matter of weeks cannot request a reimbursement because the time frame of 30 days have gone pass.

I consider that version 3 is vaporware.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:44 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:I consider that version 3 is vaporware.

No.

Vaporware doesn't exist as beta-versions. You are simply wrong.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:22 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:
devinganger wrote:

I meant that someone that bought the program before August 30th believing the hype that V3 would be release on that day or in a matter of weeks cannot request a reimbursement because the time frame of 30 days have gone pass.

If somebody bought the program before August 30th of this year, they're covered for a free upgrade. If somebody bought the program in 2017, they bought a license for 1.9, which they've been able to use for those two years. As stated previously, 1.9 is a fully-functional program. You can write books with it and everything!

jesuslpgc wrote:I consider that version 3 is vaporware.

You can consider it whatever you want, but that doesn't make you right. Vaporware is things like flying cars.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

Sy
Synth

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:56 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:
kewms wrote:You paid for Windows Scrivener 1.9. The Windows Scrivener 3 beta is currently free.

Katherine

Many people bought the product on the promise of having a program on par with the Mac version in the near future. 2 years later, after the August 30th fiasco, you have release further IPADos (IOS) and Macos upgrades, promised that the Windows version would be a matter of week not months (two months already) and your new spiel is that you will release the new version when it's ready. In the meanwhile anyone who's bought the version in let's sai mid-August have lost the lost the return window.

Of course 1.9 it's a functional program. So it's Photoshop 1.0. Try to imagine if Adobe decided that version 1.0 was good enough for Windows users while they kept rolling updates to their Mac users at a marginal lesser price....

From the website:
"Disclaimer: Please make your decision to buy based on the current version of Scrivener (Scrivener 1 for Windows). This offer is a bonus for new users. We can make no guarantees on when Scrivener 3 for Windows will be available (we only release software when we are confident it is stable and the best it can be), and buyers of Scrivener 1 for Windows will not be eligible for a refund in the unlikely event that something happens to prevent Scrivener 3’s release."

Now if you decided that that disclaimer wasn't for you, and purchased it regardless, that is on you. You bought a perfectly good piece of software that doesn't just work, but work well. Photoshop 1 isn't up to par in today's digital world, and its competitors would swallow it whole. Scrivener 1.9 can decidedly go up against any of its current competitors.

Also, to the vaporware comment: You have no idea what vaporware is. I get that you are frustrated, but that's just nonsense.

je
jesuslpgc

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:11 am Post

devinganger wrote:
You can consider it whatever you want, but that doesn't make you right. Vaporware is things like flying cars.

noun: vaporware
software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed

Nothing more to say here. That you decide to clip a definition ad hoc thinking that the other part would not copy and paste a dictionary definition... I insist: until the moment anyone can buy, download and use Scrivener Version 3 for Windows, a product on par with the Mac version as announced almost 3 years ago, such product it's still vaporware, no matter how many months the free upgrade will ever span, no matter how many partially functional demos and betas the company releases.

I'm glad that Scrivener fulfils your needs to such a degree that you feel compelled to defend the with a zealotry worthy of religious sites when discussing dogmas but, all caveat considered, and nobody denies that V1.9.x has not equal in windows, the company has yet to produced the promised product. And it had to accept that many people bought the product thinking that soon would enjoy the same ring and bells that the Mac counterpart. And, that caveats and legalese aside, announcements like August 30th and the it's a matter of weeks not months, among many others, led many to buy the product expecting a parity that probably will not take place ever.