Hello and a suggestion! :)

el
elenastia
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm Post

This is my first post here but I've been using Scrivener for a long time, and I came across Nebo the other day! Apparently MyScript, which is the code Nebo works, is available for others to use? I think? Well, it looks like that anyway from a non-programmers point of view. :lol: Woudn't it be awesome if Scrivener incorporated handwriting?!? I mean, it is a writing app. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I know it's been mentioned that the Windows update will take a bit longer than expected, but I was just wondering if something like this could happen before release too? ? Hehe, probably not, but just putting it out there at the very least for future consideration. I mean, that's something I would TOTALLY wait a few more months for, and dish out for an updated machine so I could do that! : :D :) :mrgreen: :

ForgottenGold
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 pm Post

I use Nebo on my Surface, actually. It works pretty well. They've just added typing too, though it's a bit slow, but it's a new feature so hopefully it gets better.

That said...and I don't want to burst your bubble...but I wouldn't count on it ever being added, no less now. L&L are very fussy about what they add to Scrivener. And there's probably a coding reason as to why it can't be done. That seems pretty common. I'm not sure if the code they use is just rigid or what, but I have seen that response a lot.

Honestly, if you like to hand write, I would buy a new iPad and use Nebo there. Scriv just isn't likely to get there. I may end up using Nebo solely if they improve the typing, which is more likely than L&L adding even touch optimization. Nebo developers seem much more on top of their product.

Tw
Twolane

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:15 pm Post

Glad you finally found an app that you like to use, even if entering text by typing is a bit slow. I'm sure they'll improve the software faster than you can type "update".

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:40 am Post

ForgottenGold wrote:Scriv just isn't likely to get there. I may end up using Nebo solely if they improve the typing, which is more likely than L&L adding even touch optimization. Nebo developers seem much more on top of their product.

Seems you can’t resist any opportunity with the snide remarks. If you’re so pissed with L&L (and not willing to request on the Wish List) why don’t you just head off to Nebo?

ForgottenGold

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:37 pm Post

Lol you two are such jerks. I’m no more snide than you are, who obviously can’t resist making snide remarks either.

Here’s the question. Am I wrong? Or do you really think L&L will add handwriting as OP is suggesting?

Edit: OP, take this over to wishlist. Or email. I actually sent an email too with this included. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt, because I definitely support the idea. Sorry for the initial tone. These two and another were after me all day yesterday for being annoyed about V3 release postponing again. Because behavior policing people when they have a complaint totally puts people in a good mood. X’D

Tw
Twolane

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:24 pm Post

Ya gotta luv some of the complainers. First, they're unhappy with the Mac software. Apparently it gets too many updates. Then, they're unhappy with the Win software. It doesn't get enough updates. iOS hasn't been updated for two years. They're unhappy with the version of Scrivener for Win that's in development. Okay, then.

The beta is starting to come together nicely, in my opinion. (I use it daily.) For some, that's not enough. Nope. Nuh-uh. It's got to have a touch interface. And not just any touch interface. It has to recognize handwriting. Or something or other. What's wanted next? A capability to execute codes for missile launch? (Not likely, given the nature of the current occupant blah blah blah.)

But I digress.

Some are just. never. satisfied.

I can't wait to read the shite-show that progresses when the Android version is announced. Although, judging by the tone of some of the nay-sayers, I'd be surprised if L&L ever starts development on that now.

Carry on regardless, L&L. Benny Hill is watching and reading some of these posts and grinning from afar.
Last edited by Twolane on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForgottenGold

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:38 pm Post

Twolane wrote:It must be such a real pleasure to know you in person.

I can say the same for you, but I didn’t go there did I. But now I will since you did, not that I think it’s a good idea to make generalizations about people based on forum posts.... But if you’re anything like you’re forum posts, I can’t imagine how you get on in life degrading and delegitimization anyone who has a complaint. Or. Emotions.

Good life skills. Good life skills. I on the other hand encourage conversation and problem solving and oh shocker, dissent, and the occasional outburst is of course understandable and not squashed. I have the capacity to listen to people’s upset, and understand that people have emotions. And bad days. And are different from each other.

Btw, people never being happy is basically part of product development, so you neither have the sensitivity nor the thick skin to deal with complaints. Adios, amigo.

Tw
Twolane

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:44 pm Post

Well, I wasn't referring to you, specifically, but very well, then. Pot, meet kettle.

And go watch some Benny Hill. Or, Carry On Regardless.

In the meantime, I'm off for a nice jog, where I'll work out details of the plotting and characters for my next novel. I'll write, err, type that using the most recent Scriv 3 beta.

ForgottenGold

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:01 pm Post

Twolane wrote:Well, I wasn't referring to you, specifically, but very well, then. Pot, meet kettle.

I am the only one disagreeing with you in this thread, am I not?

Or are you actually jumping on the OP, in which case, is worse than I assumed?

I didn’t think of this since the OP was pretty nice about it, even if it was in the wrong forum (but beginners mistake, that’s ok).

And if you’re referring to me “vaguely” you don’t get strikes taken off because you’re just being passive aggressive.

Tw
Twolane

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:37 pm Post

Thanks to Wikipedia, I refreshed my memory. Of course, one's mileage may vary concerning passive-aggressive behaviour, and we all know Wikipedia isn't a bible, by any stretch. Has anyone else noticed how some posters like to have the last word? ^^^

Heh.

passive-aggressive behavior as: "a personality trait marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and characterized by passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to complying with expectations in interpersonal or occupational situations. Behaviors: learned helplessness, procrastination, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate/repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible".[3] Other examples of passive-aggressive behavior might include avoiding direct or clear communication, evading problems, fear of intimacy or competition, making excuses, blaming others, obstructionism, playing the victim, feigning compliance with requests, sarcasm, backhanded compliments, and hiding anger.

Sanguinius

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:26 pm Post

OH MY F****** GOD CAN WE ALL JUST STOP FOR LOVE OF TINY TEACUP PIGS?

DavidR

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:36 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:OH MY F****** GOD CAN WE ALL JUST STOP FOR LOVE OF TINY TEACUP PIGS?

Yes. Same for my quite chaste God. I'm good with the pigs, though.

Elenastia, I want to apologize on behalf of a couple of the people here who cannot seem to respond to a simple question without launching into their Mutually Aggrieved Diatribes.You innocently walked into an already existing s :oops: :oops:t-storm without an umbrella (involving whether it is or is not reasonable to expect Scrivener 3 to include a certain feature and be released by a certain deadline).

I hope it may be somewhat useful to say that at this very late stage of beta development, it's practically impossible for a major new feature such as handwriting recognition to be added in, even using pre-existing code. It sounds like a great idea for the Wish List (if it's not there already); or you could email the developers directly, but with the understanding that this is a long-range request (IMHO). And thank you for bringing it up!
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

ForgottenGold

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:50 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:OH MY F****** GOD CAN WE ALL JUST STOP FOR LOVE OF TINY TEACUP PIGS?

I’m game...more than.

Te
Terry_T

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 am Post

DavidR wrote:

Elenastia, I want to apologize on behalf of a couple of the people here who cannot seem to respond to a simple question without launching into their Mutually Aggrieved Diatribes.You innocently walked into an already existing s :oops: :oops:t-storm without an umbrella (involving whether it is or is not reasonable to expect Scrivener 3 to include a certain feature and be released by a certain deadline).

I hope it may be somewhat useful to say that at this very late stage of beta development, it's practically impossible for a major new feature such as handwriting recognition to be added in, even using pre-existing code. It sounds like a great idea for the Wish List (if it's not there already); or you could email the developers directly, but with the understanding that this is a long-range request (IMHO). And thank you for bringing it up!

Then, they're unhappy with the Win software. It doesn't get enough updates. iOS hasn't been updated for two years. They're unhappy with the version of Scrivener for Win that's in development. Okay, then.

The beta is starting to come together nicely, in my opinion. (I use it daily.) For some, that's not enough. Nope. Nuh-uh. It's got to have a touch interface. And not just any touch interface. It has to recognize handwriting. Or something or other. What's wanted next? A capability to execute codes for missile launch? (Not likely, given the nature of the current occupant blah blah blah.)

ForgottenGold

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:44 pm Post

Terry_T wrote:
DavidR wrote:

Then, they're unhappy with the Win software. It doesn't get enough updates. iOS hasn't been updated for two years. They're unhappy with the version of Scrivener for Win that's in development. Okay, then.

With attitudes like yours we’d all still be farmers. X’D