Commitment & responsibility...

User avatar
ForgottenGold
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:08 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:35 pm Post

Astaff wrote:
As for demands to know how people will be held responsible for the missed deadline. They’ve apologised, stop sulking and move on.


No demands. Just the irony of “held responsible”. I don’t want the Win dev fired, but it is a pretty weak statement that doesn’t hold a lot of weight. I didn’t see it in the initial post but where we’re standing right now, it is a pretty meaningless thing to say.

As for “stop sulking and move on”. No. Not at your demand certainly. The more you say “stop sulking and move on” the more it fuels the annoyance. So really, if you want people to stop you should probably change your responses a bit.

Ru
Rubinstein
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:40 pm
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:37 pm Post

Thank you for your post, KB.

Is that true: Is there one sole Mac developer - KB - and are there two Windows developers - Lee and Tiho?

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20718
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:43 pm Post

@ForgottenGold: I definitely understand, and don't want anybody to feel that their frustration is being legitimised. We have created the frustration ourselves, so have only ourselves to blame for users venting at us over this.

@Rubinstein and ForgottenGold: It is indeed true that there is only one Mac developer (myself), and two Windows developers (Lee and Tiho). I do most of the design (with some help from Ioa, our UI designer Janik and user suggestions) and all of the code for the macOS and iOS versions of Scrivener and the macOS version of Scapple; Lee and Tiho handle the Windows versions of Scrivener and Scapple. This, to an extent, is why we say (and mean) that we are just as serious about the Windows version - it has twice the number of coders as the macOS version. (They've had to build a lot of things from the ground up that macOS provides "for free", though, I believe.)

We've put other resources into it too, though. Jennifer, who has an incredibly in-depth knowledge of Scrivener for Mac and who used to be one of our key support personnel, has for a long time now been moved over to working with the Windows team to test all features against the Mac version and to check nothing is missed. And Ioa, who writes the manuals, has been nearly full time working on the Windows manual and testing every feature against the Mac manual.

None of which has got us there anything like on time, of course, so at this point this is all academic.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

At
Atadreanar
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:15 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:02 pm Post

I understand the disappointment, but I think the reasons for not releasing by the deadline are pretty sound. If the product is not ready, is not up to standard, it is far better to delay than to release something that is half-finished or will require extensive patching and updates to fix bugs.

The beta is still usable in the interim and if that is an uncomfortable thought, Scrivener 1.x or is it 2.x is still a valid option. I for one am quite happy to wait as long as necessary for the final product because I know it will be up to standard. It is refreshing to see a company committed to their standards.

User avatar
DavidR
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:34 pm Post

KB, thanks for that clear and helpful indication of who does what. Especially considering that Windows programmers have to create stuff (spell checker is the one I actually know about) that the Mac OS supplies, it's really not surprising that such a massive update should take so long. Frankly, I'm in favor of small software developers seldom or never indicating release date goals. It only agitates the herd. :D (Speaking as one of the herd, but not an agitated one.)
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

User avatar
Silverdragon
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:52 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Tarzana, California, USA
Contact:

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 pm Post

Lest anyone forget, there was this same sort of distress about the release of iOS Scrivener (for 4 years, I think). And I saw mention of Scrivener 3 for Mac in the works at least three years before it was even in beta, too. And once Scriv3Mac *was* in beta, oh the pestering as to when the release was going to happen....

KB, I say this with the deepest respect—Please, please, don't ever even hint as to when a targeted or projected or anything release might happen ever again. As DavidR said, "It agitates the herd." Not even though I show up on your doorstep in Cornwall begging on my knees for the next version release date of Scrivener iOS. Ignore that crazy old American lady. Just step right over her and carry on with, "We don't comment on release dates." :D
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction.
  • I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.3.1
  • Website: https://silverdrag0n.wordpress.com

Sk
Skip
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:42 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:34 am Post

> "We don't comment on release dates."
Yeah, I gotta agree with this advice, but I'd add that in the future you might earmark a few of the bigger threads and say "if you want to know why we don't comment on release dates, you can see what happens when we do and those dates are missed." Something along those lines.

The only time to give a release date is when the whole project compiles successfully, has passed QA, and the code is locked. AND when documentation team can give you a completion date.

Every date sets an expectation. That does nothing but create stress for the developers. And if the date is missed (and it's nearly always missed--ask any developer), the date set creates disappointment in the customer base. Everyone loses.

In fact, when Version 4 is under development (it *is* under development, right? <gdr>), long-time members here in the community should stand at the ready to calm down expectations all around and repeat the party line: "We do not comment on release dates."

For myself, I'm going to remove the beta and continue using 1.9 (gotta keep 'em separated) and basically forget I ever even heard of version 3. Boy am I going to be surprised one day!

ki
kirk
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:51 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:58 am Post

Here to register both that I understand, but am still disappointed. Unlike most of the gripers, I understand programming and being behind the 8-ball (I'll be doing that all weekend :( and not writing or spending time with my family because deadlines others have failed to meet) The point is I get it. And as a developer/writer/user and all other things I ultimately do want a product that works.

But there's a problem. Mac and Windows are drifting too much. The latest version of Mac won't run (last I checked) Scrivener 2. And Windows won't run Scrivener 3. That means I can't work cross platform and haven't been able to do it for some time. 6 months, I told myself, I could deal with.

Maybe a year, not so much.
I'd take a stable version that didn't allow me to compile at this point, but that I could write in without having to install new betas every few months. I can compile on mac when/if I need to. But I need to be able to write on a windows machine, I just do.

Sigh. I know.

Goodluck/Godspeed/Thanks for what you've made so far.

We are all counting on your team.

As
Astaff
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:49 am Post

You can write in the V3 Win Beta and compile safely on V3 Mac already.

You say you don't want to constantly install new Betas, however the process can be no different to installing a point update that happens with 99% of programs from time to time. Help > Check For Updates

The few little hiccups on the beta have no impact on data integrity and the ability to write without concern other than normal prudent backups.

As
Astaff
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:02 am Post

To the OP, seems not recommending Scrivener just because the Win V3 version is a bit late is case of cutting off nose to spite face and depriving others of the best tool for the job.

The current Win 1.9 is the best in class product currently available, works just fine, PLUS, it comes with a free update to V3 when released.

Isn’t it a bit spiteful to deprive those other writers you supposedly care about of the opportunity to use the best program out there, and get a free upgrade, just because you have a snotty over V3 being delayed a few more weeks?

Just thinking out loud....

Be
Beobuck
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:57 pm Post

I can’t describe how disappointed I was to learn yesterday of yet another missed deadline, another broken promise. And as for the developer accepting responsibility for this, what does that mean? Does it mean he won’t get paid, a loss of income? For me it does mean a loss of income, because as a professional writer I’ve delayed several projects because I wanted to do them in Scrivener—and now I’ll miss my deadlines and might not get paid. I teach creative writing, and now I no longer will be recommending Scrivener to my students.

User avatar
DavidR
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:50 pm Post

Beobuck wrote:I can’t describe how disappointed I was to learn yesterday of yet another missed deadline, another broken promise. And as for the developer accepting responsibility for this, what does that mean? Does it mean he won’t get paid, a loss of income? For me it does mean a loss of income, because as a professional writer I’ve delayed several projects because I wanted to do them in Scrivener—and now I’ll miss my deadlines and might not get paid. I teach creative writing, and now I no longer will be recommending Scrivener to my students.

Beobuck, I'm disappointed too. As far as I can tell "responsibility" in this case means only that we can all go out and buy voodoo dolls, name them Lee, and stick pins in them or run over them with our cars or dress them in unattractive clothing.

But did you read astaff's post just before yours? Scrivener 1.9 works well and is stable; the only problem might be that its projects can't be opened in the current Mac version, and vice versa. Also, many people are working successfully with the v. 3 beta. If you can get your projects done using v. 1.9, then you should be OK, eh? As for your students, much as we may be disappointed over the missed deadline (which should probably never have been publicly announced in the first place, but that's another subject), why deprive them of a good tool that's likely to get better by the end of the term? That's my thought, but I'm not in your shoes.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Sc
Scribhneoir
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 am
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:02 pm Post

Astaff wrote: Isn’t it a bit spiteful to deprive those other writers you supposedly care about of the opportunity to use the best program out there, and get a free upgrade, just because you have a snotty over V3 being delayed a few more weeks?


No, it's not spiteful. It's prudent.

I think the OP is quite right to not recommend Scrivener to Windows users at this time. That buy-it-now-get-a-free-upgrade-later deal has become nothing more than a bait-and-switch. If v3 is truly released in only a few more weeks, then those new users have nothing to lose by not learning about Scrivener now.

And if, as is far more likely, v3 is not released for many, many, many, many, many more weeks, then they haven't wasted their time by getting sucked into the morass of perpetual betas and missed commitments.

Sc
Scribhneoir
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 am
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:15 pm Post

Beobuck wrote:I can’t describe how disappointed I was to learn yesterday of yet another missed deadline, another broken promise. And as for the developer accepting responsibility for this, what does that mean?


It seems to mean that he spent the day in hiding while Keith ran interference for him. Keith made several sincere apologies here and on the blog while Lee was conspicuous in his absence. Totally in keeping with making the announcement that they were missing another deadline in the Beta 22 release notes instead of in a more public space like the blog. He left that chore to Keith, too.

Be
Beobuck
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:26 pm Post

Lee always says he takes responsibility, but the ones who really will be paying the price are the customers, like me, whose writing deadlines will be missed because the Scrivener Windows V. 3 they had counted on for their projects is not available by the promised date.