Most recent Windows Scrivener 3 beta and change list:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:44 pm Post

Did I stutter?

The meta-discussion about what kinds of feedback are and are not appropriate is extremely tiresome. Please stop.

There is only one forum rule: Be polite.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm Post

lunk wrote:
xiamenese wrote:So what do you want them to do?

He wants them to get it done in no time at all. He simply doesn’t understand what it takes to create a functioning application.
What he misses is that this gives him an external excuse to procrastinate, which is exactly what he is doing in here.

Oh my, I never realised this was an option? I moan about people on the internet and I get to have an excuse as to why I’m not writing as quickly / productively / talentfultively as I’d like?!

In that case: that Pigfender chap is an absolute bassoon! Probably the cause of everything that’s wrong with the world. What a talentless hack!

kewms wrote:There is only one forum rule: Be polite.

Is self-loathing allowed?
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am Post

Scribhneoir wrote:
devinganger wrote:With beta 3, the Windows version is months behind at worst.

Sorry, but I'm comparing Mac's fully functional, stable version 3.1.2 to Win's fully functional, stable version 1.9.9. Still want to say it's only months behind? The beta doesn't count

Sorry, the beta DOES count. Not because it's ready to use (it's not) but because it is a snapshot of progress. It is literally showing you that there is active work being performed and that the gap *is* being closed.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

alexxtholden
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:52 pm Post

Scribhneoir wrote:I've wondered why you, a Mac only user, spends so much time in the Windows forum. Now I understand. You're here to sneer at and insult Windows users. How special.

And, once again, you miss the point that Windows users are making. Scrivener is available for Windows, but it is years behind the Mac version in features and continuing to fall even further behind. L&L has been promising parity since day one (2011, in case you don't know). But it never happens. We are not whining about the lack of the product in our sphere; we are expressing frustration at the endless delays to the long-promised parity. Delays that are always shrugged off and accompanied by suggestions that we just be quiet and wait another year.

The December blog post offered Windows users another empty promise. While there are still about 80 days left in Q2, the possibility that Win 3 will be released within that timeframe is remote, if the Beta forum threads are anything to go by. Not holding my breath for a Q2 release or, indeed, for a 2019 release. But I just may start looking into those Windows competitors JimRac mentioned.

Okay, look, I’ve been in these forums a long time. Since I switched from Mac to Windows in 2013. I came from the OSX user base. I’ve been using Windows since. I’ve probably posted or commented enough that you could count it on fingers of Davos Seaworths half hand.

I just want to make sure we’re clear here that we’re not just assuming this is the perspective of all Windows Scrivener users. In the six years I’ve been in these forums - I know they don’t need me to say this - I have never once felt that he, nor any of the other long time Mac users that visit our section have treated anyone differently based on their choice of OS. They have in truth been rather helpful.

But more importantly I want to make it very clear that I personally have never felt slighted, less important or overlooked by L&L as a Windows user. They have been far and beyond more open with the process than most other companies are while also trying to be honest about needing to manage expectations. I just want to make sure we’re clear here that when you say windows users as a generalization you understand that you are not speaking for all of us.

There are many of us who understand this process and appreciate what goes into it. Does Scrivener make my writing more efficient? Yes. Does it prevent me from writing? Absolutely not. It’s a means to an end and one that I appreciate greatly every day, even as it catches up.

Also apologies for the Thrones reference but it’s only been two days and I’m still stoked.
"What obsesses a writer starting out on a lifetime's work is the panic-stricken search for a voice of his own." - John Mortimer

DavidR
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm Post

alexxtholden wrote:.... But more importantly I want to make it very clear that I personally have never felt slighted, less important or overlooked by L&L as a Windows user. They have been far and beyond more open with the process than most other companies are while also trying to be honest about needing to manage expectations. I just want to make sure we’re clear here that when you say windows users as a generalization you understand that you are not speaking for all of us.

There are many of us who understand this process and appreciate what goes into it. Does Scrivener make my writing more efficient? Yes. Does it prevent me from writing? Absolutely not. It’s a means to an end and one that I appreciate greatly every day, even as it catches up.

Well said. I very much agree.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.7
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Am
Amcmo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am Post

my win because they are better in-every-way
.. I think what you mean is you prefer Win, just as many prefer Mac. I have machines running Win 7, 10 and Mac and will say I prefer Mac. It suits me better, but apart from the lower tco of Mac (per IBM) and my preference for the stability and ease of use of Mac OS, I wouldn’t go as far as claiming ‘better in every way’.

Per Katherine, Win V3 will be released when it is ready and not before and no amount of badgering or ‘polite requests’ will change that.

As suggested, keep an eye on the beta forum and if inclined download and contribute. Feedback from beta testers is the best way to discover issues and drive the perfection of the program and it’s earliest possible release.