Dark Mode Theme

KelseyatHilltopBooks
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 pm Post

I'm all for a dark mode. In fact, I've spent way too much writing time experimenting with darker colors in the UI today. No-go there though...somehow no matter what I've done it just looks a bit wonky compared to a true dark mode.

But for me it's about 50% concerning the glare of the white elements and 50% concerning helping my laptop battery last as long as possible by eliminating the brightness. I love writing outside this time of year. :)

Gl
Glarld
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:45 pm Post

I would love it to happen!

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:56 pm Post

KelseyatHilltopBooks wrote:But for me it's about 50% concerning the glare of the white elements and 50% concerning helping my laptop battery last as long as possible by eliminating the brightness. I love writing outside this time of year. :)

FYI, if your laptop has a standard LCD display, you're not going to save energy by using dark mode. A white pixel doesn't use any more power than a black one; it just blocks less of the back-lighting. If you can actually turn down the backlight and see your text while outdoors, that will save your battery though.

Apparently, this may not be true of OLED displays, which are used widely in smartphones (and tablets?). I'm not up on the latest tech trends, but a quick google of "does darkmode save battery power" led me to this info.

I've also found that dark mode is harder to use in very bright conditions because I focus on the reflections that are more visible against black than they are against a white background. If your mileage varies from mine, then more power to you. :)
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".