Scrivener Needs Urgent Updates

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:44 pm Post

Myrmedin wrote:I have been using Scrivener for Windows for a while now and I would be most grateful if you could let me know when the Windows update will be ready. My issues are about how it displays in the Surface Pro 4 screen, it is small I can't increase the view and not everything is displayed which makes it cumbersome to navigate.

L&L has not given us a specific date or timeframe yet.

Have you seen https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... i-displays and tried the steps there to help mitigate your display issues?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

be
beninoz
Platform: Windows

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:49 am Post

squeakyhiro wrote:I have been using Scrivener for the past two years and it mostly does the job. However, the known (and often acknowledged) bugs from the October 2015 update still irk and annoy countless Scrivener users. The forums are still full of troubleshooting questions and complaints.

I have experienced the lost clipboard/import text bug once (which was damn annoying). But my particular hate is the display bug in the Scrivenings mode. This is the bug that only allows you to see the first few chapters and then displays the rest of the manuscript as blank text (presumably because it is unable to buffer/compile it in memory). This is really annoying when you are trying to do global searches across all chapters. Nine months on, it should have been fixed. But it ain't!

With the English version of the (apparently) excellent Papyrus Author on the way, you really need to pull up your socks and fix your software or else you may find several defectors. I really do want to love Scrivener, but you are making it hard with all the unresolved bugs. We shouldn't have to wait for the release of Scrivener 2 or Scrivener 3 for these errors to be fixed.

I have to agree. In fact, I have stopped using Scrivener. I may start using it again when version three is released. But till then, I will leave it well enough alone. Really, all Scrivener does is keep things organized, but it gives you a fairly poor text editor. I've always had to do my final edits in Word, so why use Scrivener? Well, simple. keep things organized. As I used it more, I found things missing--like built-in timeline tool. So, I tried to use Aeon Timeline with Scrivener, but I found the software overly complicated.
Bottom line, I want a good text editor with all the add-ins I need, or at leat the option to open an external editor from within the software.
I want timeline abilities, but nothing too complicated.
I want to keep my stuff organized and in one place.
Well, I think I found the answer. At least till Scrivener 3 comes out. I now use Memo Master. It keeps me organized and allows me to use Word as the main editor. It also allows me to use spreadsheets for timelines. Ok, there are things it can't do, like keep track of word count if you use Word, but that's minor. It will track word count if you use its editor, though.
Attachments
Memo Master.jpg
Memo Master.jpg (174.96 KiB) Viewed 2423 times

Sanguinius

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:24 pm Post

beninoz wrote:
squeakyhiro wrote:I have been using Scrivener for the past two years and it mostly does the job. However, the known (and often acknowledged) bugs from the October 2015 update still irk and annoy countless Scrivener users. The forums are still full of troubleshooting questions and complaints.

I have experienced the lost clipboard/import text bug once (which was damn annoying). But my particular hate is the display bug in the Scrivenings mode. This is the bug that only allows you to see the first few chapters and then displays the rest of the manuscript as blank text (presumably because it is unable to buffer/compile it in memory). This is really annoying when you are trying to do global searches across all chapters. Nine months on, it should have been fixed. But it ain't!

With the English version of the (apparently) excellent Papyrus Author on the way, you really need to pull up your socks and fix your software or else you may find several defectors. I really do want to love Scrivener, but you are making it hard with all the unresolved bugs. We shouldn't have to wait for the release of Scrivener 2 or Scrivener 3 for these errors to be fixed.

I have to agree. In fact, I have stopped using Scrivener. I may start using it again when version three is released. But till then, I will leave it well enough alone. Really, all Scrivener does is keep things organized, but it gives you a fairly poor text editor. I've always had to do my final edits in Word, so why use Scrivener? Well, simple. keep things organized. As I used it more, I found things missing--like built-in timeline tool. So, I tried to use Aeon Timeline with Scrivener, but I found the software overly complicated.
Bottom line, I want a good text editor with all the add-ins I need, or at leat the option to open an external editor from within the software.
I want timeline abilities, but nothing too complicated.
I want to keep my stuff organized and in one place.
Well, I think I found the answer. At least till Scrivener 3 comes out. I now use Memo Master. It keeps me organized and allows me to use Word as the main editor. It also allows me to use spreadsheets for timelines. Ok, there are things it can't do, like keep track of word count if you use Word, but that's minor. It will track word count if you use its editor, though.

I'm glad you were able to find something that works for you.

be
beninoz

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:11 am Post

Don't get me wrong. I've used Scrivener for several years and have liked it. I just think it's time for an upgrade and some added features. I will return when version 3 is released.

M.
M. Gunnar Quist

Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:42 pm Post

Hello, everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I wish to commend Keith Blount for crafting an excellent and useful program for organizing compositions, research, and notes. Unfortunately, after prematurely purchasing the program, I discovered that my PC version lacked an important feature that exists in the advanced Macintosh version. It is clear from what I've read on this forum that a Windows update is not forthcoming anytime soon. Disappointed, I requested a refund. But now I've reconsidered. I'll consider the money I paid as a donation towards program development. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this program to any PC user until the Windows version achieves parity with the Macintosh version. But it appears that parity may never happen. I will, however, heartily recommend this program to any writer that uses a Macintosh.

Best of luck to you all,
M. Gunnar Quist

Sanguinius

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:38 pm Post

M. Gunnar Quist wrote:Hello, everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I wish to commend Keith Blount for crafting an excellent and useful program for organizing compositions, research, and notes. Unfortunately, after prematurely purchasing the program, I discovered that my PC version lacked an important feature that exists in the advanced Macintosh version. It is clear from what I've read on this forum that a Windows update is not forthcoming anytime soon. Disappointed, I requested a refund. But now I've reconsidered. I'll consider the money I paid as a donation towards program development. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this program to any PC user until the Windows version achieves parity with the Macintosh version. But it appears that parity may never happen. I will, however, heartily recommend this program to any writer that uses a Macintosh.

Best of luck to you all,
M. Gunnar Quist

Out of curiosity, what is the missing feature that causes this not to work? It's possible there's some sort of workaround.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:14 pm Post

I don't get it... all these grumpy, complaining persons in here.

There are millions of apps out there, for doing all sorts of things. I have tried a lot of different 'Productivity apps', for writing, taking notes, organizing stuff, managing to-do's, etc. Some I just skipped right away, for the only reason that they couldn't do what I wanted to do. Some I tried for a while, and either slowly forgot to use or replaced with some other app, and some I keep using, often or seldom depending on my current needs.

But I have never tried to convince the people/company behind an app to make it into something else, or complained about it not being able to do what I wanted, or demanded that they update or upgrade or improve it.

WYBIWYG! What you buy is what you get, that's all there is to it.

If you don't like Scrivener, don't use it! Use something else! But why on earth do you spend time informing us Scrivener-users that YOU will NOT use Scrivener? What's the point? As I said, I don't get it...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

JJ
JJSlote
Location: Unlogged bugs thru RC8:  t=61527 HTML clipboard miscode; 62407 Multiselect on edit

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:10 pm Post

lunk wrote:If you don't like Scrivener, don't use it! Use something else! But why on earth do you spend time informing us Scrivener-users that YOU will NOT use Scrivener? What's the point? As I said, I don't get it...
Well said. At least three in the past week have taken the time to set up new accounts here for just that purpose. Everyone's bombarded with marketing materials; we partake in only a few of the opportunities we consider. Can't imagine what would possess someone to write up the shops, vacations and books she declined to pursue, on their own sites. How fortunate that one of these deeply concerned individuals had another software product to recommend to us in Scrivener's stead.

el
eltos
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:46 pm Post

I can't possibly see how that memo master program is better than the Windows Scrivener I use every day. Each to his own.

Sanguinius

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:58 pm Post

lunk wrote:I don't get it... all these grumpy, complaining persons in here.

There are millions of apps out there, for doing all sorts of things. I have tried a lot of different 'Productivity apps', for writing, taking notes, organizing stuff, managing to-do's, etc. Some I just skipped right away, for the only reason that they couldn't do what I wanted to do. Some I tried for a while, and either slowly forgot to use or replaced with some other app, and some I keep using, often or seldom depending on my current needs.

But I have never tried to convince the people/company behind an app to make it into something else, or complained about it not being able to do what I wanted, or demanded that they update or upgrade or improve it.

WYBIWYG! What you buy is what you get, that's all there is to it.

If you don't like Scrivener, don't use it! Use something else! But why on earth do you spend time informing us Scrivener-users that YOU will NOT use Scrivener? What's the point? As I said, I don't get it...

It's not even WYBIWYG, it's WYTIWYG. What you TRY is what you get. You get a nice long, full-featured trial to test it out and see if it's for you. If, during that trial, you find that Scrivener is missing something you require to work, then you don't have to buy it.

I'm just confused as to what makes this program unusable to some, when it does what it's explicitly explained to do, and it does it rather well (if you do what you're supposed to do with it). No, it doesn't do everything. But nothing does everything. I wish that my truck had a built-in refrigerator in the cab and a hot tub in the bed, but I don't complain to Chevrolet that these things aren't included in the package. I realize that what I got does what I need it to do, and I make use of it in the best way possible.

I'm sorry that Scrivener apparently doesn't work right for some people. It's unfortunate that they're unable to get it to do what they need it to do. I hope that they're able to find something that works for them as well as Scrivener works for me and for the many other people on this forum.

lunk

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:01 pm Post

beninoz wrote: Really, all Scrivener does is keep things organized, but it gives you a fairly poor text editor

Yes..? And that's the way it is described everywhere, isn't it. It is supposed to facilitate writing and organizing your text, not to make detailed editing and fixing the layout. So it does what it said it would do, right?

- - -

Maybe they complainers belong to that bread of people who always find that something or someone else is to blame if they fail in some way? If they didn't manage to become successful writers, it has to be software, right?
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

DavidR

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:33 pm Post

lunk wrote:... But I have never tried to convince the people/company behind an app to make it into something else, or complained about it not being able to do what I wanted, or demanded that they update or upgrade or improve it....

I tend to agree with you. But the atmosphere here is as nothing in comparison with the Evernote forums. Exactly what you describe is rampant all over there; and after the recent announcement of price increases and limitations on the free (free!) service, it blew up.

I can't blame it on writers who want to make software responsible for their shortcomings ... Evernote has a lot of writers, but a whole lot of business, school, and home users, and the moaning and groaning comes from all quarters.

And (if this is not too political), let me just add: first-world problems every bit of it.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

lunk

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:48 pm Post

I have read a bit in the Evernote forums as well, but I think there is a difference. They suddenly decided to change the service they provide. Okay, I have benefited from the free service for several years and can't really complain if they get tired of giving it away for free. But I will do what customers usually do when they are not satisfied – they "vote with their feet" – I will simply dump Evernote and chose some other alternative. (I would have stayed if the annual cost for the cheapest version had been about a third of what they now request, but they simply charge to much in relation to the way I use Evernote).

A similar behavior from L&L's side would have been if Keith had given Scrivener away for free, but had had a "time bomb" built into Scrivener, suddenly making it only accept a limited number of words per project, and had offered to (temporary) remove it for a substantial fee.

But ... I wouldn't dream of writing angry posts at the Evernote forum. I simply decided to use another software.

br
broadsides

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:08 pm Post

Lunk. Your platform says Mac. So why are you here to preach your fanbois cheerleader act? The Mac version probably doesn't have the problems the Windows version does. The forum is a voice for Windows users to give feedback, get assistance or whatever else they want to use the Windows forum for. But I'm sure the developers are impressed with your slavish devotion. For the rest of us ( In the Windows forum), we will continue to question how, when and if the software can be improved.

lunk

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:18 am Post

Yes, I use Scrivener on a Mac. I always try to choose the right tools for what I want to do. I prefer to be what limits me, not the tools. ;)