Grammar/Spell checker for Scrivener for Windows

Li
LinnyP
Platform: Windows

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:56 pm Post

Hello,

Currently, the spellchecking is awful on Scrivener for Windows. I've updated it to the latest version thinking it could be that, but no, it is still rather bad.

I mean, how is animalistic an error? I've noticed a lot of spelling complaints that weren't errors at all.

I also heard that we didn't have a grammar checker like the apple version. I never cared previously but now I do because quite simply, my punctuation is retarded. Are there plans for this in the near future? Will there be any integration with Grammarly or something similar? It would just be nice to have this because I often make silly mistakes that can easily be picked up.

Anyway, it will be nice to have an idea if improvements for these features are on the road map. Ideally, I would prefer to do all my writing in one place with the functions integrated.

If this is in the manual or have already been answered then feel free to point me to what I need to read.

Cheers,
Linny

sh
shass

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 pm Post

Hello LinnyP,
Have to agree with you on the spellchecker. Just to let you know that ProWritingAid works well now with Scrivener. You can load up your project and it remains in the Scrivener format, binder and all. I have nothing to do with them other than being a user of the program. I find it very useful in places for checking my spelling and grammar. Worth a look and they do have a trial. Also they are very open to suggestions for improvements.

Sanguinius

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:36 pm Post

Wordweb is free and allows you to use it with any program. It uses a global hotkey across all applications. It's a good dictionary and a decent thesaurus. Not the absolute greatest, but a better dictionary than the stock Scrivener one and a more convenient thesaurus than having to open up a webpage each time.

Li
LinnyP

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:59 am Post

@shass & @Sanguinius thanks for responding - I will look into ProWritingAid & Wordweb.

Furthermore to the Scrivener people:

I was a fan of Scrivener back in 2011 and I'm not sure why I've never noticed Scrivener didn't know how to spell. For a writing tool, it a creates a bad first impression and lost in confidence. When people ask me what program to use, I would always rave about Scrivener. I just can't in good conscience continue recommending it anymore.

I find it disappointing in the 5 years since I've actively used it, that something as simple as a decent spell checker and some sort of grammar checking would still be absent for the Windows version.

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:40 am Post

LinnyP wrote:I find it disappointing in the 5 years since I've actively used it, that something as simple as a decent spell checker and some sort of grammar checking would still be absent for the Windows version.

Just for the record - the only reason that macScriv has a grammar checker is because it's part of the OS.

IIRC since windows doesn't have a built in spellchecker, winScriv uses Aspell. L&L are looking into other options for the next version.

Thanks for the feedback! Currently Scrivener uses the Windows port of the Aspell dictionaries, but we're aware they're rather out of date and lacking for a lot of languages. We're looking at other options for the next major version of Scrivener.

-- viewtopic.php?p=203531#p203531

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:46 pm Post

[Deleted]
Last edited by Briar Kit on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Li
LinnyP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:36 pm Post

SarsenLintel wrote:Just for the record - the only reason that macScriv has a grammar checker is because it's part of the OS.

IIRC since windows doesn't have a built in spellchecker, winScriv uses Aspell. L&L are looking into other options for the next version.

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know there is something coming up. I was just rather unimpressed that it's been 5 years since I used this software and it seemed a little ridiculous to me it appeared to have basic problems with spelling. *shrug*

I was also in the mood to rant because Scrivener was pissing me off at the time with the number of false spelling errors. ;-)

xiamenese

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:08 pm Post

LinnyP wrote:Thanks for the info. It's nice to know there is something coming up. I was just rather unimpressed that it's been 5 years since I used this software and it seemed a little ridiculous to me it appeared to have basic problems with spelling. *shrug*

I was also in the mood to rant because Scrivener was pissing me off at the time with the number of false spelling errors. ;-)

All spell-checkers come up with false errors. I generally turn them off as I regard it as up to me to spell correctly; and grammar checkers are even worse, unless you want to write like a 13 year-old, and even then they give a false sense of confidence.

That said, another way of viewing it is that perhaps you Windows users have an advantage over us Mac users ... you can change the dictionary that Scrivener accesses to one that suits you—there is a thread here that you should be able to find that tells you how to do so. We Mac users are stuck with what is available through Dictionary.app, unless we are willing to purchase a third-party, standalone dictionary app and have that running in a separate window.

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Li
LinnyP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:36 pm Post

To begin with Briar Kit, what are YOU ranting about?

Are you ranting about my ranting? Last I checked this was a feedback thread and I was giving my honest feedback which was feeling rather aggravated with Scrivener at the time.

So now you feel justified in giving feedback on my feedback? Did you buy my software for me?
Briar Kit wrote:What looks like an attempt to besmirch L&L/Scrivener, reads as a mea culpa. “I’m shouting at you to deflect attention from me” — not realising that the shouting is only drawing attention to your own shortcomings.

Was I besmirching? I thought I was giving feedback as a unhappy customer, which last time I checked, I am allowed to. Who are you anyway? And what on earth makes you think I am deflecting anything. I find it interesting you are ranting and having an attack on someone you don't even know when I was having a complaint about software that I bought.
Briar Kit wrote:On a Mac, Scrivener accesses the spellchecking and grammar-checking tools provided by Apple in the operating system. I understand Scrivener for Windows provides some proofing capabilities, but that they are not as comprehensive as the ones provided by Apple. As such, your complaint is misdirected: you should be calling out Microsoft, not L&L. If you’ve been using Scrivener for Windows for five years, you must have owned a Windows computer for at least five years, but only now are you wising up to the limitations of Windows PCs?

You might have missed it because I was not clear enough. I was a fan back when it was being released for Windows. I loved it then dearly. I stopped writing for almost 5 years and recently started up again. For some reason, I never noticed that the spelling sucked, and previously I didn't care about grammar checking. I do now and I am now complaining. I have no idea what Windows does or does not do as far as how Scrivener integrates with it. The charm of Scrivener is that it handled everything for me and I never had to read the bloody manual. That's why I recommend it to people who just want to get on with the writing and not fuss about stuff. I have found since using it again I am cutting and pasting and doing stuff outside of it more than I like. It has suddenly felt fiddly. Especially since the spelling is crap. People here have pointed out the reasons without ranting as you do. You need to take a chill pill.
Briar Kit wrote:Saying that you can’t recommend Scrivener is nonsensical: (1) because the limited capabilities (when compared against Scrivener for Mac) rest with Windows, not Scrivener; and (2) you’re allowing your ignorance and narrowly focused needs to muddy your judgement—“Scrivener doesn’t do what I want it to do, ergo it won’t be suitable for anyone else.” Such an ill-thought-out idea is fallacious. “Because I don’t know how to drive a car, no one should ever drive a car.” Sheesh!

Make that two pills. A sheesh yourself, you sound like a complete nutter to me. And no, I won't recommend it to people anymore. I still find it ridiculous it can be oh so powerful but it can't spell. Bad first impression, I don't want to be associated to it and it grates on me that the team has not come up with a better solution by now. I find you nonsensical that you can't understand the meaning of FEEDBACK and feel the need to attack a person. Are you being paid to do so?
Briar Kit wrote:While spellchecking and grammar-checking tools are useful to have, I don’t see why a writing studio should be expected to include such tools (spelling and grammar should be down to the writer — just as cooking should be down to the cook, not the cooker, etc), especially when its raison d’être is to allow users “to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents”, and let alone when it only costs £34 — building spellchecking and grammar-checking tools would necessitate huge development fees, driving up the price charged to users considerably.

Blah blah blah...whatever. Since it as been calmly explained by others, I can live without Grammar checker but it would be a nice to have. A better spell checker, that I would not have thought would be hard. That is what aggravates me the most. Having to ignore the red highlighted non errors and then having to second guess my own spelling. It is distracting. I have a problem with that, so what about it? I don't want to recommend software to friends and colleagues that I feel can't spell. All your ranting has done has added to my overall bad impression. Thank you.

Also, I am happy to pay more for better functionality. I am expressing a preference for all my tools to be integrated, if possible. If Scrivener cannot get better spelling, then does it have the ability to integrate with external dictionaries. That is what I want to know, not your babbling about cookers.
Briar Kit wrote:Or perhaps we should all be writing to Microsoft and complaining that its writing software is missing countless features found in Scrivener?

And some people do; there is nothing wrong with people wanting to use Word. I can tell you that people I have recommended to try Scrivener were probably better off using Microsoft because they are familiar with the user interface. I didn't actually have to recommend or encourage them to try Scrivener. I'm disinclined now. You've convinced me of nothing. So for them, if they're going to get annoyed with the crappy spelling then they may not want to invest more time in learning the software. Some people don't need all the countless features. That's an opinion but feel free to keep attacking me in a feedback channel because you must have paid for my software.

Briar Kit wrote:With regard to Grammarly, I’d urge caution…

1. We all make mistakes/typos, but for a service purporting to offer “you the confidence of mistake-free writing every time you write” (the service/writers are clearly not checking for tautologies), it is disconcerting that the company’s home page has so many errors.

2. The terms of service state…

By uploading or entering any User Content, you give Grammarly (and those it works with) a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and fully-paid, transferable and sublicensable, perpetual, and irrevocable license to copy, store and use your User Content in connection with the provision of the Software and the Services and to improve the algorithms underlying the Software and the Services.

Overlooking the errors (good grief!) in the quote above, I cannot understand why any writer would give Grammarly the right to copy, store, use, transfer, or sublicense their work. The “in connection with the provision of the Software and the Services” wording is so vague that it offers the user/writer no security whatsoever.

Come what may, a writer can choose to grant Grammarly rights to use, copy, store, etc their own work, but if a writer is working for agencies or end clients, they will certainly show a breach of trust if they upload their clients’ work to Grammarly, let alone be in breach of any formal SLA or NDA. This also goes for services such as Google Translate and Bing Translator.

Well at least the Grammarly information you provided is useful.

Briar Kit wrote:Best

Briar Kit

Hardly.

Li
LinnyP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:53 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:That said, another way of viewing it is that perhaps you Windows users have an advantage over us Mac users ... you can change the dictionary that Scrivener accesses to one that suits you—there is a thread here that you should be able to find that tells you how to do so. We Mac users are stuck with what is available through Dictionary.app, unless we are willing to purchase a third-party, standalone dictionary app and have that running in a separate window.

Mr X

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to look into the information closer that people have provided, but if there is the ability to integrate to external dictionaries then that will be useful. I'm not the best typist when I try to keep up with what I am thinking, so having the dictionary work with some confidence gives me a rough check for dumb errors. Which happens often because I mistype and drop letters in my rush to get the words out.

I don't think I am wrong in thinking that the current out of the box Scrivener dictionary for windows is not just your usual false spelling errors. It actually comes across as worst than normal. That's why it makes me cranky.

I would like to have a grammar checker that I can switch on and off even if it is really stupid most of the time. It will still pick up some of my silly mistakes and bad habits. It is all about the efficiency of a quick browse and then doing a more detailed correction later. I am willing to pay for a grammar checking service and ideally I would be happy to pay Scrivener if there was an integration. But what I am hearing is NO. Fine.

Lo
LongTermLurker101
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 pm Post

LinnyP wrote:I am always happy to keep trolling
Last edited by LongTermLurker101 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sh
shass

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:23 pm Post

Postby LongTermLurker101 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 pm
joined to report your reply to brian

Who is Brian?

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:52 pm Post

[Deleted]
Last edited by Briar Kit on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Li
LinnyP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 pm Post

LongTermLurker101 wrote:joined to report your reply to brian but someone pulled the trigger faster than me

you publicly criticize l&l on its own forum

you bitchslap the program by mouthing off about how you cannot recommend it because you finally understood a day one fundamental after 5 yrs

5 yrs

are you even serious

brian explains the problem & how your post screams out your misunderstanding for the whole planet to read

& you then have another bitchslappingly unintelligent & downright loonytune rant

you're shouting your mouth off & bitching about the company & the software & the developers & the users & yet you fail to realise how your inane ranting shines a spotlight on everything you don't understand

or take 5 unbelievable yrs to understand

you are the problem

not the software

they should ban you & revoke your user license

/gus/

Oh please, keep up with the insults. I think I should be reporting you. I expressed a mini rant because the software was frustrating me at the time and then I have this crazy man ranting at me, rather than just politely answering the question like others did. I truly don't have to recommend the software if I don't care to and I was letting the software makers know. I didn't realize I have to tip toe over egg shells to lodge feedback.

What I find from your response and this so called 'Brian' is rabid angry replies that I don't appreciate. So don't expect me to be polite back. Oh yes, it makes sense...let's get the Scrivener people to ban me and revoke my license. It just won't do that I provided feedback that I was unhappy about the software for whatever reason, and because I take exception to crazy, overly verbose critique to my feedback that are insulting and too tedious to read because it was so long winded. I don't think I even paid attention to all if it really - oops.

And I just skimmed your response and just noted more senseless ranting. I didn't take much of it in either. But why are you so angry, I hope you're not red in the face and about to explode? I'm rather amused over here to be honest. If you really want to see loony, you may want to look in the mirror. lol

Lo
LongTermLurker101
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 pm Post

LinnyP wrote:I am always happy to keep trolling
Last edited by LongTermLurker101 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.