A bit concerned about the cost of Scrivener

Glanzer
Platform: Windows

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:10 am Post

I am actually concerned that Scrivener is so INexpensive. Anyone can buy it easily for about $32, yet the program has tons of features. After spending only about one week using it and going through the tutorial I have to confess I would have paid around $200 for it. I just wonder how you stay in business? And yes I did compare it carefully to Writeway and WriteItNow and it blows those away.
--Glanzer

wi
wickiup

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:04 am Post

Hush yo mouff immediately if not sooner.
We gots a good thing going here and der ain't no call fo stirrin de pot...
;-)

ik
ikkyino

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:02 am Post

Just a different business model. Selling a product for more money doesn't necessarily mean more profit. Being more affordable means there are more people willing to purchase the software, thus more profits. $$$crivener.

Katex

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:29 pm Post

It costs $40 now. You and your big mouth.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:41 pm Post

Well our main goal is provide a solid writing option to as many writers as possible, not just to those that are established or fortunate enough to be able to afford "pro prices". :D
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Kn
Knightdarling

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:14 pm Post

The price is pure economics. The lower the price, the more people will buy, the more profit to the seller. If the price was $200, only a few would buy the program. At the $40 sticker price, anyone even contemplating writing a book will invest in this program. Thus the proof the company is smart in its pricing. Any higher and you will have people walking away and not wanting to make the investment. Especially those who are new writers.

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:26 am Post

Knightdarling wrote:The price is pure economics.

Yes. When Scrivener was first launched, eight or so years ago, as an arguably brave move into a market where the main competitors were double or more than double its price*, it could easily have been regarded as an interesting experiment and potential case study in the price elasticity of demand.
*Of course much has changed since then, including the prices users expect to pay for writing tools, and I suspect Scrivener itself has been influential in setting the market standard, insofar as there is one.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Lunatique

Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:24 pm Post

When I was corresponding with the developer of Writer's Blocks (a virtual index card software for writers), I used Scrivener as an example of why I think Writer's Blocks is ridiculously overpriced for what it actually does (it costs $149 for the download version). In his response, he included a fascinating (and humorous) blog post about software pricing--one of the most interesting articles I've ever read. It's about the psychology and the statistics behind software pricing considerations, and I highly recommend it for anyone who's ever wondered about how companies decide on pricing: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ ... ckies.html

kewms

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:13 pm Post

The incremental cost of software is zero. This is a sharp contrast with other kinds of goods. If you buy a car, the manufacturer had to spend money on raw materials and labor in order to make it. With software (and also e-books, digitally-distributed music, and so on), the cost to the manufacturer is very nearly the same whether the product sells a hundred copies or a million.

(Server costs can become a problem when sales get very big, very fast, which is why "going viral" is a mixed blessing, but that's more likely to be a problem for games than for productivity software.)

And so the producer of the software has nearly unlimited freedom to set whatever price they like. At what price will the user value the software enough to take it seriously, for example by reading the manual, trying it with real projects, taking the time to figure out how it works? What price will make the software accessible to the largest fraction of its potential audience? What price will be perceived as "a good buy" by the users? How do you balance price and expected sales to achieve a return large enough to support the company and fund future development?

When a company is financially successful, but people are still begging it to charge more for its products, it probably hit almost exactly the "right price."

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Hu
Hugh

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:23 am Post

Lunatique wrote:When I was corresponding with the developer of Writer's Blocks (a virtual index card software for writers), I used Scrivener as an example of why I think Writer's Blocks is ridiculously overpriced for what it actually does (it costs $149 for the download version). In his response, he included a fascinating (and humorous) blog post about software pricing--one of the most interesting articles I've ever read. It's about the psychology and the statistics behind software pricing considerations, and I highly recommend it for anyone who's ever wondered about how companies decide on pricing: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ ... ckies.html

A very nicely-written piece (and a lot more amusing than Kotler*).

*Author of the standard-issue marketing text-book - built like a door-stop and lugged to class by business students worldwide (the book, not the author).
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Xa
Xade

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:33 pm Post

I have no complaints here, you can see my post here viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33241 for how I raved about Scrivener. I dropped an even $100 for a software I could have gotten for half price had I read the entire page because I thought Snowflake Pro was the tool I needed. Instead I took all the important details and dropped it in the character sheets of scrivener. Am I mad about my $100 donation to a software I will probably never use again? Eh, I was but I got over it an accepted it as a rule to read all of a page before I buy for there might be a way to get a nice discount waaaaay at the bottom. Speaking of discounts, I found a discount code trolling the internet for scrivener. I got it for 32 bucks anyhow :P Best investment I have ever made!

Scrivener rocks!

Heh, I just finished the article, LMAO! I'm quite happy to be a rubber duckie in the Scrivener bathtub. Every one I know has heard about Scrivener from me, lots of fellow duckies have bought it. :P

I'm not cheap, I'm just a poor little author trying to make ends meet. I'm the kind of gal that welcomes happy little innocent dollar bills in with warm, welcoming arms and don't let them escape back into the money market until each one screams for mercy from being stretched so darned tight.