Scrivener 2 for Windows?

ti
timmib
Platform: Windows

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 am Post

Greetings AmberV,

My note taking is done using an old Windows program named 'Keynote'. When clipping is activated it monitors the windows clipboard and inserts the copied text *and* url into a new note. It is the second piece of this process (the url capture) which I can not seem to figure out how to do with scrivener without actually going back to the webpage and cutting and pasting the url as a second, separate action. I have probably missed something!

Kim

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:36 pm Post

Have you tried the web import feature in Scrivener? Use the File/Import/Web Page... menu command, or use the down-arrow beside the green plus button and select “Web Page” from there (you can also customize the toolbar to have a dedicate web page import button).

With the exception of the plain text import mode, the original URL will be displayed in the footer bar as a clickable link. There is actually a missing feature with plain text, that should be storing the URL as a Document Reference in the Inspector. So for now if you want editable text and a URL you have to add the URL yourself after import.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ti
timmib

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:29 pm Post

Greetings,

I had tried the web import. It was more than I needed and failed very often, I presume because of java.

AmberV, thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Kim

JJ
JJSlote
Location: Unlogged bugs thru RC8:  t=61527 HTML clipboard miscode; 62407 Multiselect on edit

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:42 pm Post

Kim --

If your browser is Firefox, I'd recommend the add-on Easy Copy, presently at version 2.1.0. It enables you to customize a template for web copying, which can include page title, datestamp, URL. It can remove text of your choice, such as "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia", and generate BBCode, the square-bracketed codes used in forums, as well as HTML, which pastes neatly into Scrivener docs.

Perhaps other browsers offer a similar capability or extension. Locating your clipping function in the browser enables you to avail of it in multiple applications.

Rgds -- Jerome

ti
timmib

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm Post

Greetings Jerome,

Wow!! I don't know how many times I've search FF Add-ons and I missed this one. I'll give it a try later today. It looks like just the trick I need.

Thank you, kind sir.

Be well,

Kim

Mr
MrDithers
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:19 pm Post

AmberV wrote:We can't give any dates for that yet, because it's just not possible to fairly predict when it will be ready. Since you've relatively new to the software, you probably haven't seen it evolve much yet, but rest assured that even within the two years it has been out, much has been added to the program that was originally omitted from the original feature framework (which was already in excess of our original plans of releasing something more like Scrivener 1.x for the Mac, it is already well beyond that point). We'll have some more goodies for you coming soon as well. :) Thanks for your patience, we've got seven years (and counting, the Mac version doesn't hold still either!) to catch up on.

Okay, so does that mean that not only will all the current goodies in the mac version be available when Win's Scrivener 2 comes out, but all the mac goodies and features you plan on having ready for mac users by that time will also be released simultaneously for windows users as well? That would be beyond awesome. If not, not worries (I just received a Macbook Air as a Christmas gift and the only real reason for it is to run Scrivener).

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:57 pm Post

MrDithers wrote:
AmberV wrote:We can't give any dates for that yet, because it's just not possible to fairly predict when it will be ready. Since you've relatively new to the software, you probably haven't seen it evolve much yet, but rest assured that even within the two years it has been out, much has been added to the program that was originally omitted from the original feature framework (which was already in excess of our original plans of releasing something more like Scrivener 1.x for the Mac, it is already well beyond that point). We'll have some more goodies for you coming soon as well. :) Thanks for your patience, we've got seven years (and counting, the Mac version doesn't hold still either!) to catch up on.

Okay, so does that mean that not only will all the current goodies in the mac version be available when Win's Scrivener 2 comes out, but all the mac goodies and features you plan on having ready for mac users by that time will also be released simultaneously for windows users as well?

It actually meant that we'll be sneaking some new features into the Windows 1.x version. :) But we are working with a goal of bringing the two platforms in line for their next major releases, with still more goodies.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

fa
fadedwave

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:29 am Post

For web clipping, I use Evernote. In fact, I use Evernote to keep track of all my notes and ideas regarding my novel rather than Scrivener. Scrivener is still vital for the actual structuring and writing of the book of course!

Actually, now that I mention it, it would be cool to see some kind of partnership / integration with Evernote in the future :mrgreen: . They seem to partner with a lot of developers, so maybe this is doable?
Western Redemption in Dystopian America
Read The Wanderer and the New West by Adam Bender

ti
timmib

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 pm Post

Greetings fadedwave,

I have gone back to evernote for web clipping. It is really not my preference. The evernote web app is a bit flacky sometimes. I did impliment Jerome's suggested Firefox add-on and it does help with Scrivener. But still, it's a laborious process.

I was hoping that Scrivener could contain my research work. I think that I will wait until a windows release contains a web clipper before I commit to putting all my research in Scrivener. I think your idea of an integration of evernote and scrivener is a good one. There are some apps which read evernote xml. And, it would beat exporting evernote items to htm in order to import to scrivener.

Be well,

Kim

fa
fadedwave

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:40 pm Post

I don't use the Evernote web app much -- I find the Windows application to be pretty solid. I also use the Android apps -- nice to be able to jot down notes when I'm out and about and see them later on the computer.
Western Redemption in Dystopian America
Read The Wanderer and the New West by Adam Bender