Overstrike

Be
Beobuck
Platform: Windows

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:20 pm Post

I've been using Scrivener for Windows for several months and like it, but I regret the apparent lack of an overstrike function on the keyboard. Am I missing something?

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 pm Post

Do you mean strike-through? That's CTRL + SHIFT + -
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Be
Beobuck

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:23 am Post

What I'm referring to is not overstrike. It's the feature found in every word processing program I've used that toggles between overwriting and inserting. One replaces an existing character when the key is pushed, the other pushes the existing character ahead. It's hard to believe Scrivener would omit this feature, as it's all but universal among word processing programs.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:07 pm Post

Hit the "insert" button on the key board.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Be
Beobuck

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 pm Post

Whenever I hit the insert button on my keyboard of my two computers, I still just get insert mode, never overstrike mode. Weird.

Mr
MrDithers

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 pm Post

I think it's more of an issue of your computer messing with your head. :P

Jaysen

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm Post

Beobuck wrote:Whenever I hit the insert button on my keyboard of my two computers, I still just get insert mode, never overstrike mode. Weird.

It isn't really called "overstrike". I think that's what threw folks off. It may be a regional thing (not sure where you're from) but I've always heard it called "overwrite".

Check in another text editor (notepad) and see if it works. The insert key should toggle the input mode to/from overwrite and insert.

Although thinking about my windows laptop (dell) there is a bios function to disable the overwrite key. Might want to check that as well.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Ay
Aycae

Sun May 06, 2012 4:44 am Post

I can also confirm this -no overwrite mode through insert button, but I suspect this may be a feature as well :)

Best,
Ayca
Windows 7 x64 (main) -- Ubuntu 10.10 on VirtualBox + Mac OSX Leopard