Wish List

M.
M.R.
Platform: Windows

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:51 pm Post

1. I'd like Scrivener to open faster. Sometimes it's really slow to open projects, even small ones.

2. Sometimes when I click to open the program before all my start menu is up, it won't open even ten minutes later but when I click on it again, it then opens two projects and freezes. I'd really like to see this issue solved but also some parameter put in place so that Scrivener doesn't even try to open the same project twice.

3. When it comes to working in pieces Scrivener is far superior to word, but when it comes to working on the document as a whole the program slows down and often freezes. It does okay if I'm just reading but if I want to make a change why reading there are huge lags. Word doesn't lag working with whole documents. I don't know what you can do, but I'd like to see it handle larger documents quicker.

4. When Scrivener freezes it shows that I have two windows open in task manager even when there is only one. I don't really care about this, but I suspect it relates to why scrivener freezes so often.

5. When Scrivener is lagging my whole systems lags. I don't have any other programs that affect everything unless the CPU is close to 100%. Scriv often shows a low CPU usage but again, if scriv is lagging my computer is useless until it's starts to function normally.

6. I use foot notes and inline notes often. Inserting them is easy enough but if I want to put something in the middle of the sentence the system auto capitalizes the word following the inserted text.

7. The footnote box itself doesn't quick. I feel like I should be able to click after the box and start typing regular text. Instead I have to add spaces, select those spaces and turn it off. Only at this point can I begin typing normal text. If you happen to do a lot of footnotes or inline work this small problem becomes really time consuming.

8. A pop out internet search feature. I know this is a big wish, but when I'm in scrivener and I have to do an internet search, either have to re-size scriv and open a browser or minimize scriv and open a browser. I'd love something like scratch pad (Search Pad) that floats over scriv and functions somewhat like the browser on my cell phone.

Thanks,

M.R.

St
StefanG

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:44 pm Post

My wishlist:

1) Moving paragraph up or down
A quick way to float a paragpraph up or down, simply by holding down say, Ctrl and pressing Arrow-keys. Right now you have to press Home and Shift-select keys etc, to mark the whole paragraph, then do a Ctrl X, then move up, then hit Ctrl V - :( tedious and frustrating.

2) Jumpmarks/Bookmarks
I am not talking project-wide. These are taken care of with annotations etc.
I mean per document: Ideally user-definable: In Options you specify @@ or ## or whatever, and every line beginning with @@ or ## will not get compiled. Instead you get to see these lines in the inspector, clicking on them takes you there. For quick notes like @@ToDo, @@Follow-up, @@Research needed, etc.

3) Reveal all /Collapse All without having to leave the editor
It keeps throwing me off: Needing Ctrl Tab to switch the focus to the binder.
Where am I? Nothing noticable happens on screen, the editor bar stays highlighted, the binder is not lighting up.
Wish #3: Being able to assign a shortcut, say Ctrl F3, to trigger a "Reveal All" that works from everywhere.

4) Similar shortcut behavior for the Inspector
See above under 3). I am boxed in by the editor, the sidebars are not integrated, I cannot get to them other than taking my fingers away from the keyboard and grabbing for a mouse that I rarely use (typing in trains and public places on my laptop)

4) Restore Binder View
Every drill-down in the binder is destructively permanent: Reveal in Binder, I want a way to go back to the last Binder view.

I am not using Scrivener for the time being because my workflow slows down considerably without these features, especially the typing stuff 1 + 2

pb
pbjorn

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:53 am Post

Okay, first: SCRIVENER ROCKS. At least overall. Although I too am seeing some lags, I chock it all up to the immense behind-the-scenes data hauling that the program is doing on my behalf, and I'm grateful. No freezing as yet; but I have a pretty beefy PC.

I will wholeheartedly agree with items 7 and 8. The footnoting is cumbersome, especially if you're trying to refer to more than one reference at a time. And when compiling to Word, my experience thus far is that endnotes become footnotes without my consent. I can manually move these in Word, but the number format changes to roman numerals, which are not conventional for reference in academic submissions. Finally, it'd be really nice if the footnotes accepted pasted values, so that I wouldn't have to retype the whole reference by hand -- and risk typos that confound my readers.

I too am aware that it's a greedy thing to ask for, but BOY it'd be cool if you could run searches from within the research folder...

ks
kseniya

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 pm Post

My wish list contribution is minor ... but maybe it's also easy to do?

A "custom zoom" value would be great. Zoom options jump from 200% to 300%, and somewhere in between is my sweet spot. So, either a place to enter a custom zoom value or another gradation between 200 & 300?

Thanks!
- Kseniya

si
simeva

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 pm Post

Some small issues/suggestions:

Remove the default text "http://www." from the Create External reference dialogue on the Inspector. I always cut and paste a url into here, never type one, and so I need to select and delete this text every time I add a reference.

Smart treatment of spaces before and after words in cut and paste operations. When I move words around, I would like Scriv to know whether it should add a space before or afterwards - as Word does.

I can't use the mouse to drag and drop a corkboard card to first position. Drag and drop is a bit fiddly everywhere else - you have to get the card very exactly positioned or it ends up dropped within one of the adjacent cards (I know about the option to exclude this, but it's a useful feature). But the vertical blue line seems to be unavailable if I'm trying to move a card to be first in the top row.

- but overall, of course, a great program - thanks for the support on this forum and keep up the good work :D

fm
fmcpma

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:20 pm Post

My wishlist:

1. The possibility of setting the time between auto-saves to 0 (zero), which would disable timed auto-saving and auto-saving when project is closed (a standard prompt asking whether to save would appear then, if there were any unsaved changes). If possible, also, being able to set here an alternate folder for auto-saving, with manual saves still done to the originally created folder. This alternate folder, by default, could be inside the same parent folder as the original and have the extension ".scr-as", for instance, meaning "Scrivener auto-save".

2. Synonyms and thesaurus, accessed by right-clicking on a word.

3. More powerful project-level undo and redo.

Thanks.

Me
Meleesa

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 pm Post

this is kind of an odd one.. I'd like to be able to make index cards "pop" or stand out, maybe color code according to the status, not just the label.

for example... I currently have a project with over 60 index cards. (in corkboard view, of course) nearly all of them have a status assigned. what I could like to do is be able to set the ones with a status of TO DO to pop out, to be more noticable than those with other statuses (or any status, just using that as an example)

I don't write scenes in order and this would be a great help in see where I still need to work.
FYI. I am running Win7 64bit unless I specify otherwise.

St
StefanG

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 pm Post

fmcpma wrote:The possibility of setting the time between auto-saves to 0 (zero), which would disable timed auto-saving

Strongly supported. My favorite autosave triggers from other programs:
1) Autosave changes every xx minutes/seconds
2) Autosave every # of paragraphs (a setting of 1 would save every time you hit ENTER)

fmcpma wrote:being able to set here an alternate folder for auto-saving, with manual saves still done to the originally created folder.

Interesting idea, I like the control it offers, although you could probably achieve a similar effect with snapshots (on a per-document basis, not project-wide)

Ma
MarieDees

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm Post

Okay, here's an odd one but I'm not sure if it's there and I'm missing it. Is there a way to open research cards so that they are on top of the work space and can be referred to while working on chapters.

I'll explain what I'm doing so it might make more sense. I need to jot down where characters are on certain days/chapters. There isn't a timeline function in Scrivener, but I don't need anything fancy for this, just the ability to keep my own running list. So, I decided the scratch pad would work. It does and I can save it to the research folder so I don't lose the notes. All great. But once the file is saved as "timeline" in research, there's no way to open it back up so it appears floating over the work, like the scratch pad does.

Yes, I can split the screen and have the timeline show where I'm working on the document, but eventually that just gets crowded and takes away work space. I really just want to be able to float research and other non-story elements for quick reference without having them taking up writing space. The scratch pad already has that functionality but I lose the float ability once I save something elsewhere.

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:19 pm Post

Hello Marie,

That will be coming in the future when quick reference panels are implemented. Cannot give you a timeframe for their introduction in Windows though sorry!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

Ma
MarieDees

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 pm Post

Oh, that's good. It means it'll be there eventually.

Of course, it does make me think you could simply create a blank pop up like the scratch pad, call the darn thing "timeline builder" and probably satisfy at least some of the requests for a timeline. Yeah, it would connect to anything, but it would let people keep track of the timeline in their own way. Sometimes that's all we really need even though we think we need something fancier.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:31 pm Post

Thanks all, for the suggestions. I'm just going to go through a few here that I think might be solvable with existing tools, or make comments on the status of others.

M.R.

M.R. wrote:I'd like Scrivener to open faster. Sometimes it's really slow to open projects, even small ones.

Nokia has made major improvements to the underlying text engine we are using which should resolve most if not all performance issues with text quantity. Right now the program is on the line of what is acceptible, but our early tests indicate the new system will make it a powerhouse with huge projects even on budget computers. This holds true not only for overall project performance but single document performance as well (pt. 3).

Generally speaking on pt. 3 though, do find yourself working on the entire Draft out of habit, or are you getting some specific use out of this? I ask because, as a Scrivener user of about six years now, I never assemble the whole Draft with Scrivenings. I hardly even ever assemble a chapter. Sections are about as big as I go. This isn't to say the program shouldn't perform well on a 150k word document (not that Word particularly does!); I'm just genuinely curious, as I don't have much need for having the text that is 100+ pages off of my scroll bar already loaded in the editor.

General performance talk aside, it does sound to me as though you've got some bug going on that is causing excessive slow-downs. I never have all-out freezes like you describe. Sure, it might take a few seconds to open my 300k project, that's to be expected, but once I'm in it it doesn't "freeze" unless I ask it to do something huge, like compile, or assemble a huge Scrivenings session or corkboard. So it sounds like you might have something going on here beyond the normal. You might wish to contact windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT come, on that one.

I use foot notes and inline notes often. Inserting them is easy enough but if I want to put something in the middle of the sentence the system auto capitalizes the word following the inserted text.

Yeah, auto-cap needs a few other tweaks as well, such as smarter ellipses handling. I just leave all of that stuff off and type like I mean to. Heh. ;)

The footnote box itself doesn't quick. I feel like I should be able to click after the box and start typing regular text. Instead I have to add spaces, select those spaces and turn it off

It actually works just like bold or italics does. Treat it the same way. You don't need to click anywhere to stop bold, just hit Ctrl-B again. Same thing with footnotes. When you are done typing the note, hit Ctrl-Shift-F again.

A pop out internet search feature. I know this is a big wish, but when I'm in scrivener and I have to do an internet search, either have to re-size scriv and open a browser or minimize scriv and open a browser. I'd love something like scratch pad (Search Pad) that floats over scriv and functions somewhat like the browser on my cell phone.

Since I don't know what cellular phone you own, or how it works, I think I might be a bit lost on this one. Why can you not just switch to the browser? That is what I do. If I want to look up something, I Alt-Tab to Firefox and then when I'm done I Alt-Tab back to Scrivener. There is no need to minimise it first.

There is a scratch pad, in the Tools menu. It floats over everything so you can browse and take down notes easily, and then bring those back with you into Scrivener, either manually or by using the append tool.

StefanG

StefanG wrote:Jumpmarks/Bookmarks

Yeah, we've got a design for that. It'll be based off of the annotation feature. Just an asterisk and a space at the beginning of the line to mark a paragraph. Any text in the annot following the astrerisk-space will be used as a title; first few words of the paragraph will be used otherwise. Double-asterisk space will create "headers" in the bookmark list. The list itself will be a menu that you can access and use to jump straight to an bookmark.

Reveal all /Collapse All without having to leave the editor

So, you've got the binder open, and in the left split you have an Outliner session showing you the Research folder. In the right split you are editing your text document. What happens when you press the hypothetical Ctrl-F3?

Where am I? Nothing noticable happens on screen, the editor bar stays highlighted, the binder is not lighting up.

Does the selection bar not light up for you? For me it is a light grey when the focus is elsewhere; blue when the binder has active focus.

Similar shortcut behavior for the Inspector

This will be implemented in time; it is already on the list. There will be a way to not only activate individual panes but focus them directly so you can start typing or selecting items.

Restore Binder View

Could you clarify that one in a step by step? I'm not sure what you mean by the last Binder view.

pbjorn

pbjorn wrote:Finally, it'd be really nice if the footnotes accepted pasted values, so that I wouldn't have to retype the whole reference by hand...

`Edit/Paste and Match Style` (Ctrl-Shift-V) is your friend. :) Again, just treat annotations and footnotes like you would any other formatting.

simeva

simeva wrote:Remove the default text "http://www." from the Create External reference dialogue on the Inspector. I always cut and paste a url into here, never type one, and so I need to select and delete this text every time I add a reference.

Have you tried drag and drop? I just drop the icon from the URL bar of the browser into the references list.

I can't use the mouse to drag and drop a corkboard card to first position

Improving the feel of this is on the list.

All auto-save suggestions: Sorry, but it probably won't ever happen. That's just how the program is designed to work and it has been discussed quite a lot on the forums already. If your main objection is the loss of the ability to roll back to a prior save point then I suggest Snapshots. Treat Ctrl-5 like you would Ctrl-S. You get every benefit of working that way, plus you get a trail of saves to work with, and you get down to the second auto-saves in the case of a power failure or crash. Side-car auto-save is a better solution for single file programs. I'm a Vim user, I like having that sidecar file that I can recover to if I crash, so I'm no your side with this point. However I must admit that for a project folder that has thousands of files in it, maybe even gigabytes of weight, a duplicate project folder beside it is probably not the best solution. But you really aren't losing anything with the system I described above, over the sidecar file way of working.

Think of it this way: the live RTF file you are typing in is your sidecar file. Constantly saved and faithfully recording your work. The Snapshots are you static file. They are there if you need them, but if you don't need them, no big deal, the sidecar file will step up and export its text.

MarieDees

MarieDees wrote:Yes, I can split the screen and have the timeline show where I'm working on the document, but eventually that just gets crowded and takes away work space. I really just want to be able to float research and other non-story elements for quick reference without having them taking up writing space. The scratch pad already has that functionality but I lose the float ability once I save something elsewhere.

As Stacey points out, there will be something like this eventually. For now, you might consider the following layout:

Binder + Corkboard (top) / Editor (bottom) + Inspector

In the Inspector you have access to each item's notepad. In the corkboard you have your research cards. You can make it as tall or short as you like and size the cards for maximum benefit. When you click on a card, it will load its information into the Inspector on the right---and that includes its Notes field. Use that to capture your thoughts, or reference prior ideas you've had, while writing in the lower window.

That notes field is your friend for that very reason---it can sit on the side without requiring you to change views in the editors to see it. Many reference-only style cards, in fact, could consistent entirely of Notes content and note main editor content at all, given this method of working.

If you wish to stick the notes to the Inspector sidebar even after you switch back to the editor (ordinarily it will switch to showing the document's notes that you are editing), then that is what the little Lock icon in the corner of the Inspector is for.

The application was really designed to work without a big mess of floating windows. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ma
MarieDees

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:48 pm Post

I'm using the document notes field for notes specific to each chapter. Right now these are details that have to be taken into account to work with the overall timeline, so I need to timeline separate from the document notes field so I can go back and forth.

I've been completely ignoring the corkboard options because the Windows version is behind the Mac version in the ability to move and position cards so it just isn't working for what I do yet. And the split screen cuts into writing space. At this point, the solution I've been given to keep track of scene word count is splitting the screen. And it seems the solution to the research is splitting the screen. So I can only do one of them. And I'm rather running out of space to write the actual story in.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 pm Post

I might be misunderstanding you, but the document notes are tied to each item in the binder, so you can go on using the notes for the document you are writing in, and while you are writing in it you can see them, but if you need to jot down a quick timeline note you can select the card, see its notes, jot down your idea, and then click back into the editor to resume working---the notes following you along as you do so. If vertical space is a problem, try a slim corkboard on the left or right that is only one index card wide. Or if you just don't like the corkboard you could try the outliner instead with only a few columns enabled---maybe even only the title. I don't think freeform index card placement would help you on the space issue though, if anything freeform corkboards require way more space than a tightly aligned grid.

And remember you can save these layouts and return to them later with the `View/Layout/Manage Layout` command. So you can switch back and forth between full writing and a more editorial view at will.

But yes, the program really was designed for that split view to be an important part of how you work. It doesn't mean you have to, of course, there are other options, such as the History. How big is your screen? You might try hiding the binder if you've got things set up the way you need for the next half hour. That will free up a little space.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

St
StefanG

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 pm Post

Thanks Amber,
I still wish we had a seperate wishlist section (and a bug list section). That would make it much easier to track every item and probably reduce many repetitive postings. But I appreciate your time and openness to suggestions.

AmberV wrote:
StefanG wrote:Reveal all /Collapse All without having to leave the editor

So, you've got the binder open, and in the left split you have an Outliner session showing you the Research folder. In the right split you are editing your text document. What happens when you press the hypothetical Ctrl-F3?

I see what you're saying. The command "Expand All" belongs to the outliner, not to the binder. I don't use the outliner because it lacks features I am used to, and since my shortcut works in the binder (but only if I FIRST go there), I assumed "expand all" would belong to the binder.

AmberV wrote:
StefanG wrote:Where am I? Nothing noticable happens on screen, the editor bar stays highlighted, the binder is not lighting up.

Does the selection bar not light up for you? For me it is a light grey when the focus is elsewhere; blue when the binder has active focus.

No. Nothing changes. Neither the title bar of the editor (which loses the focus) nor anything in the binder (which receives the focus). I am on Vista32.

AmberV wrote:
Restore Binder View

Could you clarify that one in a step by step? I'm not sure what you mean by the last Binder view.

Well, by "view" I mean the state of the binder: some nodes drilled down, other nodes collapsed.
The binder does not reflect what document I am currently editing. This is by design (I read the comprehensive arguing about that in the Mac-forum) and will not get changed. Some users want to keep their binder structure as it is. And I respect that. They recommend using "Reveal in Binder" to (mostly Windows) users who are used to seeing their present location in the binder.

BUT, "Reveal in Binder" is irreversible. What the hardliners want to adhere to (an "intact" undisturbed binder structure) is permanently altered by "Reveal in Binder". So I am suggesting a "Previous" button for the binder. To go back to the structure the binder last had before applying a "Reveal in Binder" to it. This would serve both parties, those who claim the binder should keep its structure, and those who want it to reflect the current document.