disabling/enabling typewriter mode in full-screen

si
simeva
Platform: Windows

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 pm Post

After searching the forum I found how to do this: Ctrl-Meta-T (I never heard the key with the Window logo being called 'Meta' before - is that just me or is this a hangover from the Mac version?)

Anyway - I'm bound to forget this, and so my request is that you include a toggle command on the right-click mouse menu, or on the menu bar at the bottom of the page.

do
doceye

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 pm Post

I concur.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 pm Post

"Meta" is from Sun Microsystems, though I have heard people use that word for the Windows key. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modifier_key "The (Sun) Meta key, Windows key, (Apple) Cmd key, and the analogous "Amiga key" on Amiga computers, are usually handled equivalently." No one I've seen ever refers to a Meta key on the Mac.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

brian747

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:24 am Post

And, after decades in the software industry salt mines, including many years working for Microsoft partners, I can assure you that no one ever refers to a Meta key on a Windoze keyboard, either. It's always known as "the Windows key", 100% of the time.

If I try very hard I can recall occasional mention of a Meta key, notably during my time as a sysadmin on SunOS and Solaris — and perhaps also (although my memory of this is extremely fuzzy) with GNU Emacs? But not in a Windows context. Ever.

Of course, it may be that everyone else is out of step? :wink:

Cheers,

Brian

[Later edit: My apologies to the OP for the continued OT]

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:02 pm Post

Yeah, calling it a "meta" key is just confusing. It's the "windows" key. I've never heard it called a "meta" key before, and when I saw it on the shortcut sheet I googled it, but gave up after reading the first two pages of results that didn't tell me the answer.

I am intrigued by the idea of a "super" key and a "hyper" key though.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:31 pm Post

I'm going to guess that the cross-over is from Linux, which is a semi-supported beta platform, which treats the windows key on the keyboard as a "meta" key; I can only assume that using a Mac keyboard, the CMD key would be the meta key. I suppose I get the Windows key = Meta key from my past experience with Linux then, if it's not ever referred to in a purely Microsoft context.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

brian747

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:45 pm Post

I am intrigued by the idea of a "super" key and a "hyper" key though.

<grin> I seem to remember also that on DEC VMS machines there used to be a text editor called EDT which featured a "Gold key". 8)

But this is becoming a little esoteric.....

B.

Tw
Twolane

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm Post

@simeva - Thanks for the Ctrl-Meta-T secret on how to disable/enable typewriter mode in full-screen. Yesterday, I was about ready to toss the laptop off the balcony in frustration - although I would have had to retrieve it eventually. Today, I'm doing the happy dance.

Now all I have to do is remember that the Meta key in Windows is the "little flag key thingy". Again, thanks.

re
redgypsee

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:12 pm Post

That seemed to fix my problem-thank you so much. Things were scrolling all over the place-could not cut & paste or control what was going on-virtually unusable-don't remember having this trouble last Nanowrimo. Here's hoping the setting sticks. :D

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm Post

The typewriter scrolling settings will stick per-editor in a given project; to change the defaults to off for *new* projects you create, go to Tools > Options... and deselect both typewriter scrolling options in the Editor tab.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)