Ok, I give up, what do Keywords actually do?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:08 pm Post

you might be getting lucky with that one - if you don't have other keywords overlapping to cause conflicts.

Apologies for the slightly long winded example:
I have set up a test project in which Keyword HUD contains the following keywords(note this is an example of it NOT working, so the keywords have spaces not underscores):
"Hospital"
"Phil (mentioned)"
"Phil (present)"
"Dave (mentioned)"
"Dave (present)"

I then create a document and assign the following keywords to it:
"Hospital"
"Phil (mentioned)"
"Dave (present)"

Now if open up the HUD and select "Phil (present)" and search, I get zero results. Which is correct and as it should be. The HUD is doing an 'Exact Phrase' search, and therefore looking for a single text string which says "Phil (present)" but can't find one because it doesn't exist.

Now, if I do a search in the HUD by selecting "Hospital" and "Phil (present)" you'd want this to also be negative: Phil has never been to the hospital. However, because the HUD search needs to do an "All Words" search for multiple keyword searches you actually get a positive result for the document we created. This is because it is able to find all the words "Hospital", "Phil" and "(present)" in the keywords for that file. Although in reality Phil isn't present. Dave is (and talking about Phil behind his back apparently).

But, you don't have any of these problems if you use underscores instead of spaces.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:12 am Post

Gotcha. I haven't done anything that complicated with them yet. ;)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Ti
TinaInWonderland
Platform: Windows

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 am Post

I'm so glad you posted all the info, because now I think the keywords will come in really handy for keeping track of POV and certain plot threads, etc. :D

ju
justwantedtosay

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:46 pm Post

Pigfender - you are my hero! I have been struggling with keeping track of my characters in this program! I am trying to switch from a program that kept track of characters 100% better than this one. Hopefully this will help. Thank you for the detailed explanation :)

cd
cdyard

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:53 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Here's how I use keywords.

Great! Really, really great! Now, at last, I understand what Keywords is and how I can use it.

cd
cdyard

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:04 pm Post

BethCutter wrote:You know, that explanation of keywords is too good to let fall down out of sight in feedback.

Maybe move it to the Tips forum? Or add it to the manual or something like that.

I agree. I copied the tip and pasted it in my Scrivener WIP but it should be in the manual as an example, it's so good.

ju
justwantedtosay

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:03 pm Post

cdyard wrote:
BethCutter wrote:You know, that explanation of keywords is too good to let fall down out of sight in feedback.

Maybe move it to the Tips forum? Or add it to the manual or something like that.

I agree. I copied the tip and pasted it in my Scrivener WIP but it should be in the manual as an example, it's so good.

Yeah- I never found anything explaining them clearly. I noticed them there, just not how they were set up or if they needed to be activated or something to work.

Great tool for items, locations, people... Any other ideas? I'd love to use it for all it's worth LOL

Ro
RonsLies

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm Post

Another quick hint regarding keywords...

I use a couple of Wiki's as story bibles. If I create keywords in CamelCase it makes it very easy to link to link key items, clues, traits to the "bible" entries.

e.g. using a keyword Thing() The keyword Thing(PatsWatch) is found in a keyword search (using any word option) for thing or for pat or watch. Then a copy/paste of PatsWatch can be used for a quick lookup in the Wiki.

Other's I use a lot are: POV(), Loc(), Trait(), Clue(), Car() etc.
Desc() - for something descriptive in the text - as "Combes, a six-foot-five Amazon of a cop..." keyword would be Desc(Combes) which would lead me to a page that has some physical description of Combes.

And finally, to help cement everything Wiki(CatherineCombes) cements all the search's related to Combes to the detailed Wiki entry.

whew!

St
StefanG

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 pm Post

My only wish is for an improved visibility of keywords. Having to click away from Notes to the seperate keywords - pane is a bit awkward, especially since there is no keyboard shortcut to quickly switch Inspector panes. But the same holds true to external references, I wish the Inspector panes were stackable, or customizable.

justwantedtosay wrote: I am trying to switch from a program that kept track of characters 100% better than this one.

What program is that?

ju
justwantedtosay

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:59 pm Post

yWriter. You make a character sheet for everyone and they are highlighted everywhere. I never had a problem seeing who was where. Locations have a different color (and are set up in a different - but similar - way as characters. Same with items.

The program has a tracking feature... I'm having trouble adjusting to this approach, even though I love many of the other features offered on Scrivener. I may use both programs :) Some hassle but maybe one day I'll find a program that does every thing I love all at once! LOL

Mr
MrDithers
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 am Post

I migrated from yWriter to Scrivener, and I'm glad I did. The character tracking is a bit easier to do in yWriter, and the storyboard you can build in that program is great; you're not going to be able to completely beat it in Scrivener, yet. But there are a lot of things you can't do, and keywords, once you figure out how to use them, almost make up for a lot of that functionality. You could also use something like Storybook (never really got into it myself though) to get that timeline thing down. The free version looks like it ads that functionality and then you could link it (somehow) into Scrivener. Just a thought.

ju
justwantedtosay

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:05 pm Post

Yeah, like I said - Scrivener has so many features I love.

I have never tried Storybook. Not planning on starting :) I'm tired of the many programs. I think I've tried almost everything. I'll stick with Scrivener, yWriter, Write or Die, and the occasional Focus Writer.

Exploring Scrivener is priority one. It's slowing down my editing, but I'm enjoying the break. LOL

Keywords are going nicely. The more I practice, the easier they are to work with.

ed
edmund pickett

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 am Post

Thanks, pigfender. Using your reply and this thread, I successfully located my missing chapters, eliminated orphan index cards, etc. And I'm using keywords to indicate the main character in each scene. I notice that each time I enter a new keyword it gets a different color. Do I have any choice in the color selection? Also, the colors don't appear when I use the corkboard to view all the cards for the entire MS. So what are they for?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:28 am Post

Glad to help, welcome to the forum!

You can pick your own colours... just double click on the coloured square to open up the selector.

EDITED - Apols - my earlier links showed how to put the label colors in various places!
You can show the keywords colors on the index cards using Ctrl+F12
Last edited by pigfender on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:49 pm Post

I've been seeing a lot of other people trying to figure out character tracking, so I decided to curate pigfender's keyword method in the Tips forum: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19076&start=0
Thanks again for sharing, PF!
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?