Outline Color Coding

Li
LindaJeanne
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:46 pm Post

Greetings,

I use the "labels" feature to color-code the index cards by various criteria-- and I love it!

So I decided to turn on the color-coding in the outline view as well-- and thought I'd been mugged by Rainbow Bright :D

The index cards use very tinted versions of the colors on the cards themselves, medium strength on the header, and full-strength only on the tab/pin. This works well, because it keeps the majority of the screen muted enough that it remains just color-coding, rather than full-on sensory-assault.

While logically, using the "header" version of the color in the outline would seem to make sense, in practice, this doesn't work so well. The outline is nothing but headers, so the result is a high-saturation trip down the white-rabbit hole.

So, I'd like to suggest using the highly-tinted, index-card-body version of the label color when turning color-coding on in the outline view, to make it a bit less psychedelic.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 pm Post

What will change here is that the "Label tint opacity" slider in Options will affect the label color used not only in the corkboard but also in the outliner. Once it's working for both, although the outliner will still use the bolder color as in the index card titles, you'll be able to lighten it a bit so that it's not so overpowering. In the meanwhile, you could turn off the coloring for the rows in the outliner and instead show the label column, which will display a color chip--so it'll be a little less obvious but significantly less intense--or you could try adjusting the colors themselves in Project>Meta-Data Settings and making the label colors a bit more muted.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Li
LindaJeanne
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:43 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:What will change here is that the "Label tint opacity" slider in Options will affect the label color used not only in the corkboard but also in the outliner. Once it's working for both, although the outliner will still use the bolder color as in the index card titles, you'll be able to lighten it a bit so that it's not so overpowering. In the meanwhile, you could turn off the coloring for the rows in the outliner and instead show the label column, which will display a color chip--so it'll be a little less obvious but significantly less intense--or you could try adjusting the colors themselves in Project>Meta-Data Settings and making the label colors a bit more muted.

So there will be no way to have the darker header color on the index card headers (where it's helpful, since it's only a small part of the screen) but have a more transparent version on the outline (where the darker doesn't work as well)?

Will there be any way to make the outline match the regular card portion of the index cards, rather than the header parts?

I don't understand why the outliner rows (which collectively take up the full screen) would use the same transparency settings as the index card headers (which collectively take up only a tiny percentage of the screen). There isn't going to be any transparency setting that will visually work well for both :?

Right now I have coloring turned off in the outline, and even with the changes you describe, I'd keep it that way -- because I wouldn't want to change the opacity settings for the index cards or index card headers (since I love those exactly the way they are :D ).

I didn't realize I could turn on a label column though, -- the color chip would be helpful, and better than either the absence of any color at one extreme, or the high-saturation assault at the other.

(I understand the conceptual logic of having the outliner rows and the index card headers at the same saturation, since they contain the same information. But the visual requirements are so vastly different that I would argue they far outweigh whatever hypothetical subliminal advantage there would be in having the saturation match. But that's just my highly-opinionated opinion, of course :D )

an
anatolica

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:44 pm Post

Hello,
I, too, would like to support LindaJeanne's idea for the outliner rows' colouring, since both the colours and gradient in the row colours make it all too much, especially in a windows environment. Some interface features in beloved Scrivener, including this (as well as the binder colours) are naturally a reminiscent of the mac environment: this sometimes work well, but in this case, it doesn't fit. Even with the overall transparency option, I think it wouldn't fit either - I fully agree with LindaJeanne's rationale on this, too. They come out too much distractive and the gradient makes it even worse, as the rows become somewhat button-like, in a 3D-like fashion, which doesn't serve the purpose in my opinion. In fact I would be delighted to see the gradient gone in the outliner - I'd prefer just a plain, very muted outliner colours - but hey, that's just me, of course :)
all the best, Ayca.