Editorial comments

st
steveck
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:52 pm Post

Hello, and thanks for the Beta of Scrivener.
Are you interested in editorial comments on Scrivener's user dialogues? For example, the folllowing instructions are in the novel>format dialogue:

Create a new folder for each chapter and title each folder with the name of the chapter. If you don’t intend to use chapter names, just enter use something descriptive that tells you what the chapter is about. (You do not need to title the folders “Chapter One” and so on, as chapter numbering will be taken care of automatically during the Compile process.) The first chapter folder has been created for you with the placeholder title “Chapter”.

My rewrite is:

Create a new folder for each chapter and name it with the chapter title. (e.g. Replace the generic heading "Chapter" with "Bob Goes to Lunch"). Scrivener sequentially numbers chapters for you.

da
darkgoddessnight

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 pm Post

I think that works a lot better :). I think you can get rid of the word new though. If you are creating a folder, I think it is implied.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:32 pm Post

Thanks for your comments, but unfortunately shortening it makes it inaccurate. The point is that you don't need to title folders with chapter names if you don't intend to use chapter subtitles (you can just use something descriptive to remind you what the chapter is about), and saying simply that Scrivener "sequentially numbers chapters for you" isn't really descriptive enough, because it doesn't tell you where or how and makes it rather vague. The existing text explains the this is part of the compile process, which, I think, is important (it may seem like a detail but it is crucial to how things work). Although I'm all in favour of keeping things concise, I think that when it comes to explaining how things work, brevity shouldn't come at the expense of clarity. :)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

st
steveck

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm Post

Keith,
That's fine. But what about the general question? Are you receptive to editorial suggestions or are they an annoyance at this stage of program development? I don't want to spend a lot of time writing and sending suggestions if you consider that type of critique bothersome.

Regards,

Steve

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:52 pm Post

Comments, editorial or otherwise, are always welcome, thanks! Ioa and Jennifer are currently rewriting the templates for the Windows version, getting rid of any Mac-only stuff, so please let us know of any inaccuracies if you come across them. Do be aware that we're all wannabe writers though, so we'll probably disagree over particular wordings. :)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

st
steveck

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm Post

Nitpick Alert (8.19.1) -

Default Novel Template Cover Page:
Your agent’s name)
(Your agent's address)

Replace single quote by apostrophe in second line.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:22 pm Post

Thanks, that one is in the Mac template as well.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

st
steveck

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:32 pm Post

Suggest global replacement of the term "Trash", which is Mazcinese, with "Recycle Bin", which is Windowsphonic. Someone could be confused by the command "Move to Trash" if she doesn't see a "Trash" icon on her screen.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:08 pm Post

steveck wrote:Someone could be confused by the command "Move to Trash" if she doesn't see a "Trash" icon on her screen.

Mac/Windows aside, the "Move to Trash" command within Scrivener refers to the Trash in Scrivener, ie, the "Trash" folder that is part of the binder. It does not move documents to your system Recycle Bin but just to this other folder in the binder; they stay there until you choose "Empty Trash". So unless a template has specifically renamed the "Trash" folder (which none of the standard ones do), there will always be a "Trash" icon and folder within the project.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

st
steveck

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:06 am Post

Thanks. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

st
steveck

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:31 pm Post

I get no warning about saving files when I quit a modified project and did not see where I could set up a warning. I know about the autosave feature. Still, is a query warranted? Something like "Do you want to save Project XXX before you quit? (Y/N)?".
No need to reply if this point has already been addressed or if such a feature IS available. I am only learning Scrivener now so I am ignorant of many of its features.

Steve

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:50 pm Post

Scrivener's auto-save always runs when you close the project, in addition to running at the interval set in the General pane of Options. Since it does run while you're working, the final auto-save on close is usually just getting the last few changes and is essentially the same as the rest, so there's no warning about it. The snapshots feature and the project backup are designed to allow you to make your milestone "saves"--snapshots is particularly good for this since it works at a document level, so if you've made changes to a bunch of documents in your project and decide just one set of them is absolute junk, you can roll back just that document and not lose all your progress in the other documents as well. Backups give you a complete copy of the entire project, so make restore points for the whole thing and save binder structure, meta-data, everything. Another option that a number of people use is to make a copy of just the Draft folder within your project, thus saving the structure of that as well as the text in the documents themselves, so you can then make a bunch of structural changes and still have a fallback copy of the original right within the project.

So all that to say, Scrivener's auto-save is designed to progressively save your work and it runs continually while you're working, so having a message pop up every time would be more than a little irritating and time consuming. Instead, think of using Ctrl-5 (snapshots) as "Save" for your individual documents, when you want to create a copy you can return to later, and the Backup Project To as a "Save" for the entire project for the same purpose.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)