Isn't this Word add-in a total Scrivener rip off?

do
doogiet
Platform: Windows

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:24 pm Post

I was looking for help online for MS word and came across this:

http://writingoutliner.com/index.php

It's basically Scriverner, but as an add-in for MS Word. Now I'm not sure if I should buy it or stick with Scrivener (which is what I think I'll do) because it includes all of Word's functionality as well. Have you guys seen it?

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 pm Post

Boy howdy. :evil:
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:49 pm Post

Not sure why people would be upset by this.

The guy admits on his own blog back in October 2009 that his project is inspired by Scrivener.
http://writingoutliner.com/writing-soft ... r-windows/

He's doing the work of implementing all of this in Word as a Word add-on. For some people, that's going to make it a much better fit than a standalone program.

Isn't this really a validation that Scriv's approach is a useful one?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

garpu

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 pm Post

While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and while Scrivener is still going to be less, it's L&L's IP that needs protecting.

ptram
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 am Post

Being inspired is a matter. Copying each detail of the user interface is another. Frankly, this plug-in is ashamingly similar - uh, identical, to the UI of Scrivener.

But it is true: the default color for index cards is aquamarine, not yellow. What a difference!

Paolo

Camy
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:58 pm Post

That's a bummer. It does look mighty Scrivnerish, but then the 'Scrivener' brand is the thing - and who wants an expensive Word plugin, anyway?

IP suits are hellish expensive and there's no guarantee, no matter how solid your case, of getting the result you want.

MacPro 7.5 - Scrivener & Scapple
Lenovo - Ubuntu/Win 8.1- Scrivener & Scapple

garpu

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 am Post

Karma's often a bitch, though. This guy's thing is a yearly subscription, right? Scrivener's better *and* cheaper.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:52 am Post

I left Word so long ago that this issue is a big yawn for me.
My impression of the Word market is that it's mostly for suits, in business offices.
Or else for students who are stuck with Office as a campus de facto.
In either case, not many users will want to pay an extra annual fee for this plug-in.
Scrivener is better, costs less, and is adaptive to Word for final formatting.

Ma
Markio

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:52 pm Post

It's not an annual subscription, the website shows you can get a free upgrade (new version) in the first year after purchase and a discount for an upgrade (40 %) in the second year after purchase. That's a very nice offer in my opinion. I'm a happy user of both Scrivener and WritingOutliner.

Lu
Lunarclipper

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 pm Post

I used to work for WordPerfect before they sold themselves to Novell (and Novell broke them up and sold off the parts). We had a gripe with MS for this sort of thing. In my opinion MS is very good at riping off. . . ah imitating other people. We weren't the only company to have this gripe with them, so it doesn't surprise me to see them produce this.

I like Scriviner better, and use OpenOffice for my other writing needs.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:35 pm Post

Lunar,
To be fair, Microsoft has nothing to do with this. It's just an individual developer who coded this extension to MS Word; it's his copying of the Scrivener interface & philosophy that we're grousing about here.
Last edited by robertdguthrie on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Lu
Lunarclipper

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:01 pm Post

Ah, I sit corrected (I am using a computer so I am not standing :P ) Thanks for the clarification robertdguthrie :)

sh
shimra
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:53 pm Post

garpu wrote:While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and while Scrivener is still going to be less, it's L&L's IP that needs protecting.

I think its presumptuous to say that this other product is violating any right that the Scriviner team has in IP. (What IP? Patent? Copyright? Do you have anything specific in mind?)

This isn't really any of our business though- if the Scriviner team has concerns they can hire a lawyer.

be
belinus

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:41 pm Post

Well remember this was created back when Scrivener was Mac-Only. But there's not much L&L can do unless they want to find a lawyer in East Texas to press a case.

Ra
Railenthe

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:31 am Post

I don't see the merit.

In my experience, even on high powered machines, Word lately has had one big hang-up:

It stalls with large documents. Anything over 20K words has significant open/edit/display lag, even on my machine with 4 gigs of RAM. I shudder to think of what it would do with a document the size of my NaNo submission from last year, easily four times this example. Considering this, even if it IS available fully-polished now, I wouldn't bother with it. Even in beta--especially the most recent ones--Scrivener's been more reliable in big documents.
I'll curl up with a good book. Or a good Nook. =)

Systems:

PC: Lenovo G560 | Windows 7 Home Premium | 4 GB RAM
e-Reader: Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch | 64 MB MiniSD Card Installed